Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ctj
Paper Tape
Views: 12,401
Message 1 of 9

t450s F8 key does not disable wifi

i recently purchased a thinkpad t450s to replace a thinkpad that had been provided my my previous employer.  on the prior thinkpad (i do not recall the model), pressing F8 turned wifi on or off. this was convenient for traveling or to extend battery life. the previous thinkpad ran windows 7.

my t450s has the same picture on the F8 key - it looks like a radio tower with a line through it. but it does not seem to affect wifi. instead, it pops open the "action center."  this thinkpad is running windows 10.

in general, i expected a single button to turn wifi on/off easily. i'd actually prefer to keep it off most of the time, since i work at home and connect via a cat5 ethernet cable.  right now, i have to dig into settings to turn wifi on or off.

did lenovo change the behavior of F8?

did windows 10 hijack thinkpad function keys?

am i doing something wrong?

is there a way to remap the function keys to make them (at least F8) work the way i want them to?

zxexn
Paper Tape
Views: 12,383
Message 2 of 9

Re: t450s F8 key does not disable wifi

When the action center pops up, theres an icon bottom right that you can set what the Fn key does.  Select alternate between blah blah blah . Hope that helps.

ctj
Paper Tape
Views: 12,360
Message 3 of 9

zxexn,

i don't see the icon you're referring to.  i only get the action center.  it's the exact same as if i click on the action center icon in the taskbar.  no "alternate between..." option shows up. 

is there a deeper setting somewhere that can give me this option?

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 12,354
Message 4 of 9

Do you see "Airplane Mode"?

Click that.  That's how you turn off the wireless radio.

ctj
Paper Tape
Views: 12,349
Message 5 of 9

so, what you're telling me is that the F8 key does NOT work. or rather, it just opens the action center, and i still have to click something. which seems pointless. why have a function key that still forces me to use my mouse and click something?

which leads me back to my original question - who changed the function of the F8 key, which used to automatically turn off wifi when i pressed it?

was it windows 10?

is this a built-in difference between my t450s and my prior thinkpad (which i think was a t540p)?

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 12,346
Message 6 of 9

Windows 10. The previous on-screen menu for the wireless and bluetooth no longer functions that way in Windows 10. It opens the AC and you click what you need to do there.

It's not TPad-model specific. This is how Lenovo's overlay for Windows works in Win 10.
Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 12,334
Message 7 of 9

As a follow up, on two different model TPads at hand here right now, pressing the F8 button DOES turn off the wireless.  It also opens the AC which shows the Airplane Mode icon highlighted. 

If I want wireless back, I click Airplane Mode and it goes dark and the connection lights up and comes back. 

So you really don't have to click anything; it's just that AC flops out annoyingly when you press F8. 

Does yours not behave that way?

mevans
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,025
Message 8 of 9

Not that clear cut.

We just purchased Qty-100 Lenovo T450s laptops and the F8 key properly launches the settings for wireless radio app on the majority of them.  But there are about a dozen or so that it opens the Action Center on.  Thus far, best I can determine, those select few got automatic Lenovo updates before we could disable it on them and now the F8 key doesn't launch the wireless app.  So one of the Lenovo updates broke it.  

Still trying to determine which one, more than a dozen Lenovo updates got installed. 

Yun1
Paper Tape
Views: 11,747
Message 9 of 9

Hi, did you solve this problem? I have the same problem on my new T450s with Win7.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors