Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexanderavidan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,438
Message 1 of 14

t450s Sierra Wireless EM7345 not working after upgrade to Windows 10

Hello

I got a totally new T450s with Windows 7 preinstalled. I did immediately an updgrade to Windows 10. Now the Sierra cellular modem is not working properly after inserting a SIM card (which works fine on another laptop). It says "Cellular No Service". The driver that is installed is "generic mobile broadband adapter" and not the Sierra Driver. I downloaded the lates Sierra Driver from the Lenovo website and installed it. Without success, it always installs the "generic mobile broadband adapter".

Anyone any idea? Thanks

Alexander Avidan

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,425
Message 2 of 14

Re: t450s Sierra Wireless EM7345 not working after upgrade to Windows 10

Welcome, Alexander

Do you see broadband item on the cellular settings pane?
The most likely cause of issue is APN setting missing in the connection profile.
What is your operator name and what profile settings do you see?

Win10 doesn't need modem manufacturer drivers for broadband access only, it uses built-in drivers. Also, there are default connection profile settings in the OS. If your operator is missing in that base or connection profile settings differ, you should edit profile on the cellular pane under administrative privileges.

Anyway, I'm not sure em7345 modem in the Device Manager's "Network adapters" category in the win10 with OS built-in drivers installed should look like "generic mobile broadband adapter".

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

alexanderavidan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,423
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the reply.

I don't see broadband in the cellular settings pane. When trying to add APN settings (which are actually not necessary, I'm using a SIM card of the same provider in my X220 without APN settings without problems) it says that the cellular card is not connected, reinsert it (strange). When checking the amount of data transfer, I can see that my provider is identified, but of course with no data transfer.

When taking out the SIM card, in the setting it says please insert a SIM card. So the mode seems to be working.

I'm really frustrated, brand new laptop (very expensive also) and not functioning.

Alex

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,415
Message 4 of 14

OK, let's begin from the start.

Make sure...
1. wwan card is enabled in the BIOS Setup
Security menu -> I/O Port Access

2. wwan card is powered and turned on.
Open the command prompt window (win+R, cmd), type in the following string:
netsh mbn sh rad int=*

3. Check out whether the wwan card is visible by the system and its firmware version
netsh mbn sh int

4. Check out whether the SIM card is recognized
netsh mbn sh read int=*

5. What are the card USB IDs and current mode:
double click on the "generic mobile broadband adapter", Details tab, Option list, "Hardware ID" item. The values is in the field below.

Copy&past the outputs here. Replace the part of the subscriber ID values with *** for your privacy

Regarding the APN, most likely you're using Access Connections app on the x220. It includes own connection profiles database with APNs and shares settings with OS.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

alexanderavidan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,407
Message 5 of 14

Thanks for your help.

In the BIOS the modem is connected.

wwan card powered on: I got the following:

Radio state information for interface Cellular:
-------------------------------------
Hardware radio state : On
Software radio state : On

wwan card is visible: I got the following

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name : Cellular
Description : Sierra Wireless EM7345 4G LTE
GUID : {3004D590-EB3E-401F-8801-69D81805F12A}
Physical Address : 8c:89:8d:xxxxxx
State : Not connected
Device type : Mobile Broadband device is embedded in the system
Cellular class : GSM
Device Id : 01393xxxxxx
Manufacturer : Sierra Wireless Inc.
Model : Sierra Wireless EM7345 4G LTE
Firmware Version : FIH7160_V1.2_WW_01.1415.07
Provider Name : IL Pelephone
Roaming : Not roaming
Signal : 51%
RSSI / RSCP : 16 (-81 dBm)

SIM card recognized: I got the following

Ready information for interface Cellular:
-------------------------------------
State : Stack is off
Emergency mode : Off
SIM ICC Id :
Number of telephone numbers : 0

USB IDs and current mode:

Couldn't find this.

Thanks again for your help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,396
Message 6 of 14

The card works and sees network(s), there aren't problems with, at least, firmware, despite it's a bit outdated.

Please, clarify:
are there output values for the SIM card (SIM ICC Id and Subscriber Id)? The fields (values) above are empty.

Get modem USB IDs in the Device Manager. As I see they should be proper.

alexanderavidan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,373
Message 7 of 14

The values are empty. I tried two different SIM cards (both are working without any problem in a Samsung tablet).

When trying to add APN settings I got from my provider, I get the following error message:

The cellular device is missing or not working properly. Reconnect it and try again.

How can I change the driver? I deleted it, dowloaded the latest Sierra driver from Lenovo (date of teh driver is 12/23/2015, so really new) but it is not getting installed. The driver that is installed is always the generic broadband driver. How can I install the newest Sierra driver?

Thanks for your help.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,365
Message 8 of 14

@alexanderavidan wrote:

The values are empty.

It looks like the issue is not the EM7345 but SIM card reader which is a separate device. Are there any devices in Device Manager having error state ?

@alexanderavidan wrote:
The driver that is installed is always the generic broadband driver. How can I install the newest Sierra driver?

That is correct. There is no Sierra driver for Windows 8.1 and 10 because EM7345 is a generic MBIM device that has already built-in support in Windows 8.1 and later. The Sierra driver was required for Windows 7 only.

Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,350
Message 9 of 14

> The values are empty.

This is a fault and a IMHO cause of further issue, not drivers. Perhaps, the SIM card isn't inserted properly, or contact is bad, or the SIM reader pins are broken. I.e.laptop broadband service doesn't see all SIM card parameters, but can recognize home provider (IL Pelephone)

> State : Stack is off

This is another proof. If the card is visible, not locked, the state should be like "Ready to turn on and registration" (translation from Russian).

alexanderavidan
Paper Tape
Views: 3,339
Message 10 of 14

No, there are no devices with error messages.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors