Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
communityprofil
What's DOS?
Views: 225
Message 1 of 2

t450s - trying to convert laptop to "desktop"

i've been using my t450s for a few years now. mostly as a laptop / portable, but recently needed to do a little more intensive / desktop related work (excel, ppt, etc.). 

i purchased a Dell UltraSharp U2415 and am basically trying to create a more desktop environment. the U2415 has a display port, so when i plug it into the t450s, it is pretty seamless to start working on the larger monitor. i also have an external keyboard USB'd to the monitor, and the monitor ss / USB'd to the laptop. however, the computer doesn't always turn on when i type on the external keyboard / mouse, nor does the monitor always turn on when my laptop lid is closed - is there a way for the computer to detect that there's an external monitor and thus should be on even with a closed lid (i know there's an option from the battery section, but that's a bit different).

also, the screen size of the u2415 is 1920-1200, whereas the t450s is 1920-1080. Not a huge difference, but it would be great if i plugged in the display port and the screen size is automatically set to the right resolution (rather than me manually setting it each time - in that case i should have just bought a monitor that is 1920x1080 rather than the u2415).

anyways, just looking for some quick guidance to make my laptop more like a desktop (with the convenience of a laptop).

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 215
Message 2 of 2

Re: t450s - trying to convert laptop to "desktop"

There are many parts to the question.  I don't have the same monitor to test with, but I would guess that the starting or not starting from keyboard activity relates to the laptop powering down the monitor due to inactivity.  Waking from keyboard or mouse activity work best if the devices are connected directly to the laptop.  Normally, the resolution of the monitor is pixked up by the OS reading a configuration chip on the screen (EEID).  Most modern screens have a 16:9 aspect ratio, which replaced the older standard, 16:10.  Your thinkpad LCD is 16:9 and your monitor is 16:10.  I don't know if the combination causes problems.  I also don't know if the EEID is filled correctly.  You might try running moninfo (freeware) to find out.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors