Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crimsonc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 17,065
Message 1 of 12

t450s won't boot after bios update

Just got my new t450s yesterday.  Booted it up today and connected to the internet.  Lenovo widget popped up and told me there was an update.  It said there was a new bios update. I walked through the UI steps and it installed the new bios and then went to reboot the machine.  Machine did not post.  Any attempt to power on gets a blank screen and 2 short beeps, pause, 3 short beeps.  The Green light on the power button is currently gently pulsing.  pressing and holding the power button does nothing.  Tried unpluging and replugging both the battery and the AC adaptor and no change.  help?

crimsonc
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,945
Message 2 of 12

Re: t450s won't boot after bios update

Managed to use the emergency reset on the bottom of the laptop to get it to shutdown and it appears to boot now.  So I guess crisis averted.

mansarin
Punch Card
Views: 16,826
Message 3 of 12

EXACTLY. I have the same problem. But Doesn't emergency reset hard reset the entire machine? Won't the laptop want to update BIOS afterwards anyway?
mansarin
Punch Card
Views: 16,812
Message 4 of 12

Update: As suggested by crimsonc, I also used the emergency reset and the laptop booted up fine. The update manager still flags the BIOS update for download but I've removed it from the update list. Other than that things are working fine.
crw
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,702
Message 5 of 12

I, too, am having this exact same issue on a T450s that I received just hours ago. Unfortunately, the emergency reset button isn't doing anything in my case; the gentle pulse of the power button persists despite pressing/holding the emergency reset button. I suppose I will have to wait for the internal battery to drain.

What a horrible first impresion...

EDIT: After allowing the internal battery to drain completely, I was able to boot the machine normally. I will hold off, for now, on any BIOS updates.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,675
Message 6 of 12

X250 has the same issue https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X250-bios-upgrade-issues-5-beeps-of-death-and...

What was you actual BIOS version before the update ?

Punch Card
Views: 16,656
Message 7 of 12

Puppy,

Thanks for your attention. I checked my BIOS version and update: Current version is 1.12 and update is 1.14. I checked the change-log also, and there's nothing much changed except for some very minor bug fixes that aren't too relevant to my use.

It seems you got it fixed by just trying to install it again. I refuse to try this update again though until Lenovo explicitly acknowledges the issue.

Cheers.
nivinpk
Paper Tape
Views: 16,630
Message 8 of 12

Guys,

I just faced the same issue. My T450s was delivered to me this afternoon. I got it home and plugged it in and was prompted for the BIOS update while I was updating Windows. Went through the UI and the machine did not come up after shutting down for the update. I found this post online and tried to factory reset but did not get a response again. Things were getting crazy and I decided to try and remove the external battery and let it drain down. But I just thought of trying the factory reset after the external battery was removed and it worked!! The machine has booted up and went straight into installing the Windows updates and I found that the BIOS has been successfully updated too. Really weird! 

Seems to be running fine now. But a scary way to start off! Smiley Happy

Former Employee
Views: 16,586
Message 9 of 12

I am investigating reports of T450s laptops upgrading from BIOS v1.12 and v1.13 to 1.14 but then do not boot up, and remain in hibernation mode.

If this happens to your laptop, please press the battery reset button located on the bottom of the laptop. This will allow the laptop to boot up. You may then need to perform the BIOS upgrade again.

To find out more information about the battery reset button, here is a link to the Hardware Maintenance Manual: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t45...

I will post an update when I have more information.

Thank you,

theoretic
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,394
Message 10 of 12

Just had the same issue after updating BIOS from 1.13 to 1.14. What a horrible first impression.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors