Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SXlLhl3gE9UqU2Y
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,257
Message 1 of 5

[t460p] Software TPM, upgradability and CPU differences

Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing a T460p however I have four questions before purchase:-

1. What is a "Software TPM"? I was under the impression a TPM was a piece of hardware? I'm assuming(?) that software TPM means a TPM emulated by the BIOS or something like that, but I'd like a definite confirmation.

2. How hard is it to upgrade the hard-drive/RAM? I would like to install a 1TB SATA3 SSD and upgrade the RAM myself due to the large price difference of the Lenovo upgrade vs just buying it myself.

3. Would upgrading the hard-drive/RAM void my warranty? I'm considering paying the extra £100 for the accidental warranty, but I don't want to have voided it before even using the laptop. I understand the SSD and RAM won't be convered by warranty, but the rest of the device still will be, correct (Keyboard/spills/etc...)?

4. How large of a difference is there between the i7-6700hq and i7-6820hq. From what I can tell from benchmarks, it's a very small difference (2-4%). Can someone explain to me the large price difference? I feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Nick.

DodgeDeBoulet
Punch Card
Views: 1,209
Message 2 of 5

Re: [t460p] Software TPM, upgradability and CPU differences

For #1 - My limited understanding is that a Trusted Platform Module can be implemented in both hardware and software. Lenovo somehow manages to include both.

#2 - As long as you have a reasonably good quality small phillips screwdriver and a "spudger," it's not difficult to swap out the hard drive and RAM. I upgraded mine with a 2TB Samsung SSD and 32GB of RAM; the physical installation took 10-15 minutes. I initially configured Windows on the 500GB HD, then cloned it to the 2TB drive using an external USB3 enclosure.

#3 - Yes, the rest of the laptop is still covered. While swapping them out isn't exactly easy, they're still user-replaceable parts (otherwise there would be a label on the bottom cover indicating otherwise).

#4 - The 6700 wasn't an option in the US when I purchased mine; only the i5 options and the i7-6820HQ. I'm guessing that the difference will likely be minimal and would matter only to those who really need squeeze every bit of processing power they can out of their machines.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,201
Message 3 of 5

The processor cannot be upgraded - soldered to the motherboard.  As far as I know, all the Skylake mobile processors are soldered. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
SXlLhl3gE9UqU2Y
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,197
Message 4 of 5

Wrong thread @richk? Anyway, I'm gonna get this laptop, however my student discount doesn't seem to be working anymore (Was giving me 10% off last week), so now I need to wait until Monday to call sales and work out the issue Robot Sad

mPiotr
Punch Card
Views: 1,179
Message 5 of 5

Intel i7-6820HQ, in contrast to i7-6700HQ, has Intel vPro technology support.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors