cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greg_zielinski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,445
Message 1 of 4

t460s, Windows 7 64bit, Other devices "unknown device" and "This device can perform faster"

I've already called support and they are sending a Windows 7 restore disk as we received this with Windows 10 installed.

We applied our standard image and are past the issues with booting, SCCM driver injection.  We've run the software update to pull down the latest updates and we STILL have one missing device.  Support says "it's a software issue" and that is why they are sending us the Windows 7 restore.

Any ideas what this could be?

Hardware ID is ACPI\MSFT0101 and Device Instance path is ACPI\MSFT0101\2&DABA3FF&4.

Beyond pulling down the latest drivers from the website for the t460s and installing each manually as well as the software update utility.

Remove and rescan the device.  Remove the device, remove all USB devices, USB hub, etc.  Rescan all devices.  Everything comes back except the unknown device.

Downloaded latest chipset drivers directly from intel.  nothing

Downloaded newer webcam drivers, nothing.

With all this I get a "This Device can perform faster" bubble from the OS.  Nothing is plugged into USB.  I'm unclear what all integrates via USB.  "USB Composite device" is what is listed. Perhaps webcam or touchscreen?

Highlighted
greg_zielinski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,434
Message 2 of 4

Re: t460s, Windows 7 64bit, Other devices "unknown device" and "This device can perfo

greg_zielinski
Fanfold Paper
Views: 28,359
Message 3 of 4

Re: t460s, Windows 7 64bit, Other devices "unknown device" and "This device can perfo

I located the issue on the unknown device.  Windows 7 does not recognize the default security module "Intel PTT"

In the bios if you are going to run Windows 7 

• Security
    • Security Chip
      • Security Chip selection - "Discrete TPM"

Lenovo, please update the section of your docs that address changes to BIOS for Windows 7 installs and please let the phone support crew know.  We called support on this and ended up with "software problem, please reinstall the OS with our recovery DVD"

W1LLUK
What's DOS?
Views: 14,162
Message 4 of 4

Ladies and gents, further to the BIOS suggestion (i did not need to adjust the BIOS setting) Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit displays error relating to Intel Management software on brand new Lenovo laptop. Uninstall Intel Management engine components from computer, restart and check you have a missing device driver "unknown" listed. Reinstall from here and/or latest version of this driver. Please note example given states "ThinkPad L440 L540" but it seems to be fine. (use at your own risk, unless you can locate the correct driver for the T460 (which Lenovo helpfully exclude from the T460 drivers list/page.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/j4me05ww.exe

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors