Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agotfrid
Paper Tape
Views: 1,815
Message 1 of 7

t470 Discharged in cold, now stuck 0% battery and charging for both batteries

Hello Everyone,

I have recently left my laptop in a car for about 8 hours, when it got to about -30C.

I can only turn it on now while plugged in. Lenovo Vantage shows both batteriy condition as poor, with 0Wh remaining capacity. As a result, I cannot use the laptop without a charger, and it powers off after charger is disconnected.

I have tried disconnecting them for a few hours, using different chargers, and now trying to use a Battery Gouge Reset which seems to be stuck at 0%.

Ironically my warranty expired 20 days ago, so I cannot call it in.

I am considering purchasing a new extended battery to compensate for both, but I am worried it will not solve the issue.

Any recommendation from Lenovo and the community would be much appreciated.

Alex

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,779
Message 2 of 7

Re: t470 Discharged in cold, now stuck 0% battery and charging for both batteries

I cannot be sure, but my best guess is that the batteries are damaged, not the charging circuit.  Before I bought anything, I would remove the batteries one at a time and see if an hour on the charger will start charging one of them by itself.  There may be a circuit malfunstion in one that is screwing up the process.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
agotfrid
Paper Tape
Views: 1,775
Message 3 of 7

Re: t470 Discharged in cold, now stuck 0% battery and charging for both batteries

Hello Rich,

I was not aware that there is a lenovo battery charger out there. Can you direct me as to how I can charge the battery while not in the laptop?

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,765
Message 4 of 7

You misunderstand.  Remove them one at a time.  Take out internal, run with external installed but plugged in.  See if extrrnal charges with internal out.  Then do the same with internal in and no external.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
agotfrid
Paper Tape
Views: 1,747
Message 5 of 7

Hi Rich,

Thank you for the clarification. I have followed the steps you suggested, and after removing the batteries one at a time, I found that the internal battery was likely shortening the external one. After removing the internal battery, the external was able to charge. Albeit Lenovo Vantage still shows it to be in "Poor" condition.

The internal one seems to be dead.

Thank you for your help!

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 1,730
Message 6 of 7

The Lenovo vantage utility seems to mis-report battery condition from time to time.

I would run the "Battery Gauge Reset" utility on your "poor" battery and see what happens.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
agotfrid
Paper Tape
Views: 197
Message 7 of 7

So here I am again... I ended up purchasing a new internal battery, it lasted me two months before discharging to 0% again. This time I did not leave my computer out in the cold. Could it be that my internal battery short circuited thus causing the dischardge? How can I test this? I will not be buying a battery the third time.

Cheers

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors