Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linusfr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,328
Message 1 of 10

t470 won't boot from windows usb flash drive but ubuntu works

Hey there,

i just got my t470 today and i love it so far! But i have the following problem.

I cannot install Windows 10.

I created bootable flash drives multiple times and tried all bios settings (according to some posts both uefi and legacy in combination with secure boot turned off should be working) but after selecting the flash drive the screen turns dark for a couple of seconds and then brings me back to the bootmenu.

I tried it in the diagnostics mode and got the following error message:

"media test failure - check cable"

I tried to boot from a ubuntu flash drive and it worked instantly!

I even went as far to burn the newest bios update onto a flash drive and flash the update. Still not working though.

Does anybody have any idea what i am doing wrong? I couldn't find any more posts about this issue. I tried all the solutions which worked for other people. A friend of mine got the exact same laptop from the same seller and used the same flash drive and it worked the first time for him.. is my laptop the problem? I mean i dont think its the bios, maybe a mainboard issue? I have no clue.

Thanks for your help!

Linus

otheos
802.11n
Views: 4,314
Message 2 of 10

Re: t470 won't boot from windows usb flash drive but ubuntu works

Does the USB stick boot at a different computer? If legacy is enabled there is no reason it should not boot (and I presume it is LBA). Sounds like a non-bootable USB. 

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,303
Message 3 of 10

Hello and welcome,

How about some details on how you created the Win 10 flash drives?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

carpediem90
Token Ring
Views: 4,298
Message 4 of 10

Same thougths as @zoltanthygipsy

BTW, did you try with different USB stick? 

ThinkPad T61, T420, T440p
Moto Z Play
linusfr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,284
Message 5 of 10

i used dd / win32 usb tool / unetbootin / etcher and i tried different usb sticks. I finally got it to work with woeusb on linux. I have still no idea why this finally worked since i did not tweak any bios settings. Well at least its finally done.
linusfr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,278
Message 6 of 10

I finally got it to work, but thank you for your time and help!
linusfr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,257
Message 7 of 10

Thank you for your response!
linusfr
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,278
Message 8 of 10

I did try multiple sticks, but didn't help it. woeusb did the trick for me. Thanks for your help though!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,274
Message 9 of 10

Glad you got it working.  Hadn't heard of woeusb before.

When in windows I usually use 7zip or even just windows explorer (Win 10) to extract an ISO's contents to a FAT32-formatted flash drive.  For UEFI booting, that's all it takes - as long as the ISO is for something that can EFI boot.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

blistovmhz
What's DOS?
Views: 4,109
Message 10 of 10

FYI, I ran into this as well with my old T530. Lenovo's bios is robust, and I dig that it gives us as many options as it does, but it does some really wonky stuff.
Namely that it cannot boot from USB images that'll boot just fine on any other machine.

I figured out that it's just "easier" with Lenovo Smiley Tongue. Just make sure your USB target is GPT partitioned, put a single FAT32 partition on it, and copy the contents of your Windows ISO. I don't understand why, but dd, Rufus, Etcher, UUnetbootin, etc, written USB don't work. I messed with this for an hour before figuring it out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors