Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
at4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,002
Message 1 of 4

t480s very loud fan

Hi,

I just got a bradn new t480s and the fan is VERY loud, even when doing almost nothing it keeps going. It's in the docking station now and while doing little (cpu at 5%) I can hear it. My 450s was super quiet.

Has anyone else heard this and/or found an answer beyond returning it?

Thanks!

redart
Token Ring
Views: 1,953
Message 2 of 4

Re: t480s very loud fan

My T420s is the same - fan spins at 4000rpm when idling and temps in the 30s (celsius)......noisy, and ridiculous.  No need for it, but that's the default (BIOS) behaviour of some (most?) Thinkpads. 

The good news is that the BIOS fan speed can be overridden by 3rd party software - "tpfancontrol" for example in Windows.  I use it on all my Thinkpads and it works very well.

At the risk of getting lynched by the community, it's a Thinkpad, so fan noise is likely to be an issue.  3rd party software seems to be the best solution since Lenovo don't seem to have one. 

hsadek
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,913
Message 3 of 4

I don't have this issue with my T480s, It never gets warm and I don't hear any fan noise. My unit does not have a descete graphic card which I think raises the CPU temperature resulting the fan to kick in, but I don't use my unit for gaming or heavy graphic tasks.

Pertsa
What's DOS?
Views: 981
Message 4 of 4

The reason for acquiring the T480S was exactly that the T450S was so quiet - even with an i7 processor. Darn, this 480 makes as much noise as my old HP Envy. That's going to be a burden for the next 3 years.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors