Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nitupsar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 927
Message 1 of 14

ultrabay harddrive caddy for a T430s

Seagate's Laptop SSHD ST1000LM014, 1TB drive.

I am considering this drive for my ultrabay. Is it a good choice? Or are there others that work better?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 920
Message 2 of 14

Re: ultrabay harddrive caddy for a T430s

are you running an OS or programs off the SSHD?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
SeniorGuru
Views: 904
Message 3 of 14

I would consider an SSD either mounted in the main drive bay or as an mSATA device. Then use your existing HDD for extra storage. If you choose an mSATA SSD (Crucial sells them) you can leave the original HDD in the main drive bay. Otherwise you can move it to the Ultrabay.

With this approach you'll get better OS performance and still have lots of options for expanding total storage capacity.

Community SeniorMod
Views: 899
Message 4 of 14

+1 for Dorian's approach.  Add an mSATA SSD, keep the original HDD, set the HDD to spin down when idle.

Fast, quiet, plenty of storage, optical drive still available...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Nitupsar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 884
Message 5 of 14

Thanks everyone! I'm impressed with this forum to which i am brand new.

I realize I should have included a few more details. My current configuration is like this:

The system drive (which is the only drive installed) is a 120GB Toshiba SSD. (seems small already). I will install another drive in the ultrabay. 

Then may I also ask; is it better to run the OS off the SSD drive than off a HDD?

And I must admit I'd never even heard of an mSATA drive? (mentioned by another member)

Speed is not a major concern for me; storage space is much more important. Would it work exchanging the presentSSD with a HDD and adding yet another HDD in the ultrabay? 

Hausman says: "If you choose an mSATA SSD (Crucial sells them) you can leave the original HDD in the main drive bay."

I don't think I understand this. Does it mean that I can have both an mSATA SSD and a HDD and the Optical drive? Where is the mSATA SSD installed?

What is overall the best solution?

SeniorGuru
Views: 873
Message 6 of 14

mSATA is a SATA interface for "miniature" devices. The T430s supports an mSATA SSD via one of the PCI Express Mini Card slots. Typically they're used for wireless LAN and WWAN adapters. If you don't have both types of wireless devices then you can use one slot for mSATA SSD. There is more information about this in the Hardware Maintenance Manual for the T430s, available on Lenovo's support site.

The HMM talks about using the mSATA SSD as a cache. That applies for small, e.g. 16GB SSDs. That functions much the same way as the hybrid drive you first asked about. My suggestion is to instead get a larger mSATA SSD, say 256GB, and use it alone for the OS, applications and other purposes where fast disk access is important.

With a large mSATA drive as the bootable device you can put HDDs in both the main drive bay and Ultrabay. The main drive bay only accepts 7mm thick drives. That limits your choices and capacities to (I think) 500GB. But then you can put a 1TB 9.5mm HDD in the Ultrabay for total HDD capacity of 1.5TB.

BTW Crucial sells mSATA SSDs in capacities up to 480GB if you need the extra space and can afford the price.

Community SeniorMod
Views: 870
Message 7 of 14

@Nitupsar wrote:

And I must admit I'd never even heard of an mSATA drive? (mentioned by another member)

Hausman says: "If you choose an mSATA SSD (Crucial sells them) you can leave the original HDD in the main drive bay."

I don't think I understand this. Does it mean that I can have both an mSATA SSD and a HDD and the Optical drive? Where is the mSATA SSD installed?

Yes.  You can have an mSATA SSD, a spinning HDD (or another SSD) and an optical drive.  An mSATA drive is an SSD in a mini-PCI-e form factor.  The slot in the T430s can hold either a WWAN card or an mSATA SSD. 

Page 72 of the Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad T430s and T430si  should give you some useful information on location and access.

Here's what the Crucial m4 looks like.  I use one in my T420 with the stock HDD.  It's a great combination. I think Crucial is selling the m500 series these days.  Same sort of device with slightly different capacities.

Z.

[edit] Dorian types much faster than I do Smiley Happy  Question: can the mSATA SSD really go in either slot, or did it have to be the WWAN slot?  They may be interchangeable but I have it in the back of my head that they're not.  Maybe it's just that the WLAN slot is always occupied by a wifi card.

crucial_m4_mSATA.jpg

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Nitupsar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 858
Message 8 of 14

OK, Dorian, thank you! This definitely sounds like the way to go. You said: "If you don't have both types of wireless devices" and I looked in the system listing and could not see any WWAN so there is probably one free slot then, right?  I see an mSATA of 256GB is about USD 200 so I guess we can look into that. I saw the maintenance manual warned against installing an mSATA youself, but is it much more difficult than installing a HDD? Can I risk breaking the machine?

SeniorGuru
Views: 841
Message 9 of 14

@Nitupsar wrote:

I saw the maintenance manual warned against installing an mSATA youself, but is it much more difficult than installing a HDD? Can I risk breaking the machine?

I don't see how it's any more difficult than installing a new HDD. I don't see how doing so yourself would expose a ThinkPad to any more risk of damage than replacing any other HDD or SSD.

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 829
Message 10 of 14

its pretty easy. The mSATA slot is the full size mPCIe slot next to the ram slot. The wireless card is in the half height mPCIe slot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/8244400946/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/10972760453/

The mSATA installation is fairly easy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/10972726124/

1. Take off the AC power and battery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/10972569755/

2. Then remove the cover for the ram bay, which held by two screws.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/8244400946

3. The mSATA/WWAN bay is highlighted in the above picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/10972760453/in/set-72157631879783091

4. Install your mSATA, it is fixed into the slot by one screw.

5. Once everything is secured, reassemble everything.

6. Now you boot the laptop, press F1 several time as soon you see the laptop bootup.

7. Once you are in the BIOS menu, make sure you select the mSATA drive to be on the top of your booting list menu. This way you can install the OS into the new mSATA.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors