Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rjr52
Token Ring
Views: 1,285
Message 1 of 3

using sim card for texting - how to?

hello, i have the t460 with the sierra qualcomm sim card tray.

how do i use this to text?  i only want to use the sim card from my phone to sms text.

it is recognized by the computer and logs onto internet for browsing if i want but i only want to text with it from the laptop.  how do i do this?  i can not find an app/program to do this.  please help!!  this is part of the whole reason i purchased this machine.

thanks?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,221
Message 2 of 3

Re: using sim card for texting - how to?

Hi

Do you mean SMS capabilities the only feature you need, without data access? You've mentioned "sierra qualcomm". It might mean Sierra Wireless em7455 wwan modem in installed in your laptop. This modem doesn't feature 2G  (GSM/ GPRS/EDGE) either CDMA/EV-DO networks capabilities. So, classic SMS feature isn't available.

em7455 features SMS over LTE only, its IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) or signaling interface for SMS (“SMS over SGs”) if your cellular operator offers these features for LTE networks.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

rjr52
Token Ring
Views: 1,231
Message 3 of 3

Re: using sim card for texting - how to?

hello - i just installed this on my laptop:  Mobile Broadband SMS Toolkit.  and now i can text from laptop to any phone using the sim card from my throw away phone.  works great.  lenovo chat techs said it was impossible but i found an old thread on microsoft help site that lead me to this utility.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors