Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nvalika
What's DOS?
Views: 930
Message 1 of 5

what docking station can i use for a Think Pad T430 running red hat linux

Using a T430 and trying to get 2 monitors to work. I can get them to mirror but not able to extend my desktop to both.

Was wondering if a docking station woud do the trick . Plus im running Redhat open client so not sure if there are any copatibilty dependancies. Please suggest

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 884
Message 2 of 5

Re: what docking station can i use for a Think Pad T430 running red hat linux

Hello

Use the dock stations that don't need drivers and support PnP technology:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/migr-4tpjf4

Or, probably, there are appropriate drivers for another docks in the certified Redhut release:
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd031426

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Stepinsky
Punch Card
Views: 866
Message 3 of 5

ThinkPad Mini Dock Serie 3

I suggest looking for a ThinkPad Mini Dock Serie 3. What you are looking for is model 4338.  This model supports up to two digital video ports at the same time plus VGA. There's a smaller version (4337) which can run only one digital port (see the wiki article). DVI and Display Port share the same video output - you can't run both at a time.

Model 4338 is available in two versions: the older supports eSATA (I doubt this is working with T430), the newer version supports one USB3 port.

I'm using a 4338 with my L520 and my W530 - just plug'n'play. Those docks are quite cheap on eBay. Mine was about 25$ here in Germany.

nvalika
What's DOS?
Views: 863
Message 4 of 5

Re: ThinkPad Mini Dock Serie 3

Thanks for the reply

So i did get a gocling station from amazon. 4338-20U

I do see that it has vga and 2 display ports. 

However at one time only onemonitor works. I cant get both monitors ( 1 connected to display port and 1 to vga ) to work at the same time . Not sure why 

Stepinsky
Punch Card
Views: 854
Message 5 of 5

Re: ThinkPad Mini Dock Serie 3

That's strange. It should work hardware-wise, at least with the 4338 dock. Using 4337, the internal display is switched off when attaching a second display.

I found an older post at the Intel forum which indicates that there shouldn't be any problem running your configuration with Linux.

I didn't use Redhat yet, so I'm unable to test your configuration. Maybe you can run another Linux live distro to test for software issues?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors