cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenofex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 830
Message 1 of 11

which Thinkpad for computer engineering?

Hi all, I'm studying computer engineering and until now I used a t410i, but it is too heavy and it starts to have some problems. So I'm looking for a new Thinkpad, I'm in love with the think keyboard, it is superb.

I have 600€ budget and on line I finded a lot of used pcs. But I don' t now wich model is good for me. From one side I like a "big" screen, but a light pc I think that is better to bring with me. 

I saw x250, t450s and carbon x1.

The specs are:

-  8 GB ram (for virtual machines)

- i5 or i7 (better)

- ssd

Or are there other models? Thank you

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 818
Message 2 of 11

Re: which Thinkpad for computer engineering?

There are many models.  "Computer Engineering" can be a lot of things.  A person using a CAD program to design a large board layout needs a different machine than someone writing code.  I always think there is no such thing as too fast or too much memory, but I tended to work on very large programs.  When I did that sort of thing I tended to prefer a small machine with a dock and an attached larger monitor.  If you are looking at machines of that generation (5th gen Core), the x250 and x450 series machines (includes 450s, 450p, 550) you have some option for memory upgrades.  (DIMM is socketed and it supports 16GB single chips)  Carbon memory is soldered and cannot be upgraded.  (4th gen and earlier support a maximum of 8GB DIMMs.)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ocddave
Punch Card
Views: 810
Message 3 of 11

I would prefer a lot of different port types if studying engineering, which are slim on most laptop models nowadays. To tell you the truth I would probably use desktops to study hardware configurations and such. Plus this keyboard is nothing to write home about, I think they are way overrated, I don't like the arrow keys and page up-down buttons so close to each other, and I especially hate the FN-CTRL key reversed, .....its driving me nuts.

lenofex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 802
Message 4 of 11

Thank you for the reply. I study informatic eng, I write code, nothing about CAD. I will use virtual machines for load other operating systems. I use only linux OS. Carbon is out, it hasn't got an ethernet port and the battery is a little small. I' m worried about 12.5" screen of X series, mabye 14" is better.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 776
Message 5 of 11

14" is a good compromise between screen size and weight

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

lenofex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 771
Message 6 of 11

Thank you. I saw a t450s with i5-5300U - ssd 256 gb - 12 gb ram, IPS FHD screen and lte. It is used, but is like new:

- how much could I offer?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 760
Message 7 of 11

I really cannot help there.

Rich

lenofex
Blue Screen Again
Views: 693
Message 8 of 11

It's me again. I see that there is a touch screen version. But could this technology tire the eyes more than a normal IPS screen?
ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 680
Message 9 of 11

@ocddave: You can swap Fn and Ctrl in BIOS.

ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 677
Message 10 of 11

I suspect the anti-glare surface is better on the non-touch screen, but I have not seen it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors