Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-30-2009

Illinois

43 Signins

201 Page Views

• Views: 201
  • Message 1 of 4

Can not load windows XP pro

2009-12-30, 18:42 PM

I have  a older T60 type 1951 that I really like and  have had no problems until last week, something on a windows update download caused  file corruptions and windows will no longer start...  It comes up and says a problem was detected and windows will shut down.....

I have tried to reinstall windows XP  but I get the message that  it can not find any harddrive ...

I do know it is an older laptop but it really has worked well and serves my needs...  I do remember that there was an internet problem with the provide at the time of the update download and the connection got lost and that is when  this all happened.

Can anyone help me get this T60 running again???

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Can not load windows XP pro

2009-12-30, 21:32 PM

does your recovery partition still exist? Press your blue thinkvantage button during the initial startup, and select restore to factory condition. If that can't be done.

Then go into your bios select compatibility for your SATA mode rather ACHI, this will load the SATA driver for your generic XP pro discs to do the installation on your sata hdd. 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=19514BM <-- all your relevant drivers

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

3 Posts

12-30-2009

Illinois

43 Signins

201 Page Views

• Views: 201
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-12-31, 18:18 PM

lead org   Thjanks for your help I was not able to get anything  from the think button but did set the drive as instructed and windows did install.. right now it is windows  xp pro  ser pck1 ... It appears all the built in cards ect, networking  and so on are not working because all the drivers are gone???? Now I saw the list that you sent  only  problem  I do not know if you can help.. there seems to be so many drivers and bios I am not sure what to down load to a seperate disc and then try to loan into  the laptop... Do you know if there is one of the downloads that has all the required  items i would need...

Thanks for you help I hope i am not too much trouble 

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-12-31, 23:36 PM

with the T60, Lenovo/IBM created a software called Thinkvantage system update, which automatically updates all your relevant drivers from Lenovo.com database, but before that can occur you would need your network to work first, also install some sort of anti-virus (Avast Home edition is free for 14 months if you register it, or 3 months in demo mode, this is what i use).

Based on 1951-43U: T2300(1.66GHz), 1GB RAM, 60GB 7200rpm HD, 14.1in 1400x1050 LCD, Intel 950, CDRW/DVDRW, 802.11abg wireless, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, 9c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro

This is the spec of your machine. 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62928 <-- your driver data base.

So you would need the Bluetooth drivers, intel gigabit driver, ultranav driver, ultranav utility, Thinkpad wireless card drivers and not the Intel wireless card drivers, power management, acpi power management, intel graphics card, audio, modem, intel chipset and the intel matrix storage drivers.

This should allow your laptop to run, and you may want to install Rescue and Recovery, Thinkvantage Active protection system, Thinkvantage Access, only those one you think you need. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms