Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-04-2008

Tacoma WA

5 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 1 of 3

Can't start Windows Media Player-Newbe

2008-03-04, 5:09 AM
I am not a computer person.  Just bought a T61 and installed Kaspersky internet security.  Now trying to get things up and running.  When I click on Windows Media Player it flickers and does nothing.  I right click and click "run as" and get a multiple choice window that either asks me to uncheck a box and it allows the program to open that one time, or attempt to log in as administrator.  I can get into the program by unchecking the upper box and allow current user, but when I close the program I am back in the same boat as before, it won't open.  If I try to log in as administrator using my password, I am rejected.  I have verified my password, but no luck.  Lots of security on this system.  By the way, I am running XP Pro.......not vista.  I don't know if I am failing to set up the player or authorize some feature initially, or falling prey to the Thinkvantage security set up, or running into Kaspersky.  I notice Kaspersky gives me all sorts of warnings in general.  Help...   jeffnshelley@earthlink.net
Options

4141 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9128 Signins

196273 Page Views

• Views: 196273
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't start Windows Media Player-Newbe

2008-03-05, 8:44 AM
Hello,

I am not particularly familiar with Kaspersky Internet Security, but one thing that is typical with antimalware software is that when changing products, the old product has to be uninstalled completely before installing the new one.  In some cases, it is also necessary to reset the TCP stack before installing new antimalware software as well.

Most ThinkPads I see have Symantec Norton Anti Virus pre-installed on them, so you will probably want to take the following steps to revert back to a "clean" state so you can load Kaspersky Internet Security:

1. Download a copy of the Symantec Norton Removal Tool from http://www.symantec.com/symnrt and save it to a location you will remember, such as the Desktop.
  2. Save or print out a copy of Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 299357, "How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP"
  3. Uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security from your computer.  Reboot if prompted to do so.
  4. Run the Symantec Norton Removal Tool you downloaded.
  5. Follow the instructions in the Microsoft knowledge base article to reset the TCP stack [i.e., Open a Command Prompt (filename: CMD.EXE) and type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" and reboot once more].
  6. Reinstall Kaspersky Internet Security.

If that does not work, then you might want to contact Kaspersky's technical support department and see what steps they recommend.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

3 Posts

03-04-2008

Tacoma WA

5 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Can't start Windows Media Player-Newbe

2008-03-05, 17:00 PM
Thank you. I will give this a try this weekend.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms