Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

156 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Views: 2205
  • Message 11 of 28

Re: Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection turmoil

2009-02-02, 21:11 PM
ps - i also don't recommend the use of ThinkVantage Access Connections, as it will invariably conflict with Windows' native ability to manage the network connections properly.
Options

56 Posts

01-16-2009

cincinnati

46 Signins

513 Page Views

• Views: 513
  • Message 12 of 28

2009-02-02, 21:11 PM

try this

go to manage and go to device manager.

Right click your network adapter and go to properties. The go to the power management tab and check all the boxes in there.  (ex wake on directed packet) and power on.

goodluck

Options

156 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Message 13 of 28

2009-02-02, 21:35 PM

drgiggles... no offense, but do you even know what a 'directed packet' is??  without googling it, that is.

the WoL options that you mentioned have nothing to do with the OP's resume from suspend issue.  in fact, it is strongly advised that WoL is not enabled for stand-alone computers.  WoL is only useful in situations where the workstation needs to be awoken from remote computer or management station.

Options

5 Posts

02-02-2009

Newark

9 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 14 of 28

2009-02-02, 21:57 PM

There is a far more fundamental issue at play here -- The ethernet device is simply not going through the proper initialization and duplex detection at layer 1 & 2 - as a matter of fact, given the LINK light, it believes its connected even when the cable is not inserted.

Even before the OS is loaded, the device should not be confused about whether or not its linked.  I have gone through the proces of loading the latest drivers from Intel in the mean time - setting all values to default, and even exp. with link speed and WoL settings - none ofwhich made one bit of difference for me.

The silly diag tabs on the driver seem to indicate everything is OK, so this causes me to suspect that their software health detection mechanisms are flawed.  I'm sure Lenovo relies on this information, which could be the reason why I ended up with another DOA.

When this device was working, it would auto detect 1000mb connection via a Cat6 cable to the switch.  Now, when it does connect, it connects at 100mb, and passes no ingress traffic (in the receive direction).  This device is sick, and what bothers me more than anything else is that it just came back from Lenovo repair.

Time for a Macbook Pro ;)

Options

156 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Message 15 of 28

2009-02-02, 22:45 PM
the link led should not be lit unless there is a live ethernet connection (to an upstream router/switch/hub).

however, the link led WILL be illuminated, even when the machine is powered off (with AC connected), so that the WoL feature will work (whether or not it's actually enabled in Windows).  in other words, it's perfectly normal for the green (link) led to be lit when the machine is turned off AND physically connected to a live ethernet port upstream.

although probably not related to the issue you're experiencing, i have encountered situations where the link will also fail to connect properly if the link speed & duplex modes of the adapter are manually-configured, ie, forced into a particular mode like 1000Mbps/Full Duplex, on the workstation and/or router/switch.  in other words, for optimum performance, leave the link speed/duplex parameter set to auto-negotiate on both ends of the connection.

btw, have you checked the driver version (9.7.255.0)?  and what are each of the parameter values (under the Advanced tab) for the adapter?  post them and i'll compare with mine (since i was having the same problem before, but not anymore, since i replaced the Lenovo driver with the whql certified one from microsoft/windows update).

as for the macbook pro... hear! hear!  and no more futzing with windows flakey driver bs either.

Options

5 Posts

02-02-2009

Newark

9 Signins

26 Page Views

• Message 16 of 28

2009-02-02, 23:18 PM

Current version of the driver, as downloaded from their web site is 9.12.36.0 dated 12/4/2008 - it looks to be somewhat newer than the one you're using.  If your version is working, I wouldn't touch it.  Since this doesn't appear to be driver related, I wouldn't imagine that the settings I'm about to show you will matter much.

Gb Master Slave Mode: Auto

Interrupt Moderation:  Enabled

Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4):  Enabled

Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6): Enabled

Locally Administered Address: <blank> -- This is for MAC address spoofing, which I'm not doing.

Log Link State Event:  Enabled

Performance Options

Adapteive Inter-Frame Spacing: Disabled

Flow Control: Tx and Rx Enabled

Interrupt Moderation Rate: adaptive

Receive Buffers: 256

Transmit Buffers:  512

Priority & Vlan: (Enabled)

Receive Side Scaling: Enabled

TCP/IP Offloading Options (All Values Checked)

Wait for Link (Auto Detect)

With Regards to manually setting adapter duplex, and speed options - Success is really dependent on the type of switch being used in combination with the host adapter.  I've had mixed results of the years with the large array of vendors, from Cisco, 3Com, Extreme, SMC, Linksys, Juniper, etc.  There is a negotiation protocol that is supposed to happen where the device offers its capability, and the switch and adapter work out the quickest speed available accordng to the lowest common denominator.  In my case, all 8 PINS are available for transmission, which should allow it to negotiate at 1Gb/sec -- Which it currently is not.  My guess is that if no response is received from the request, it defaults to 100mb/full. 

The device claims to have seen no packets, although it is transmitting.  If I had more time, I'd place a packet sniffer on a span port, but I'm already convinced its a hardware problem.  Return to Factory Box arrives tomorrow -- I have WiFi in the mean time.  I toyed with the idea of doing IP over the 1394/Firewire port for speed, but its not needed.

Its quite a time-waster to have to deal with Windows, when you've got underlying hardware issues to deal with its even more time consuming.  I've been happy for the most part with the Thinkpad series, although I can tell you that this is the first "lenovo" product I'm using, completely manufactured under the auspices of Lenovo and its also the first time I'm having hardware aggrevation.  Intel doesn't want to deal with the problem because its an embedded chipset, so my only source is to go to Lenovo.  There does appear to be an issue with the manufacturing of this particular chipset as it is deployed on the Lenovo system boards, I'm just upset to be the one to face the issue.  The one thing I have to hand to Apple is that their products just "work".  No time wasting, just plug and play -- as opposed to plug and pray ;)

Golan.

Options

5 Posts

02-02-2009

Newark

9 Signins

26 Page Views

• Message 17 of 28

2009-02-02, 23:34 PM

So, I've gone back to our DHCP logs to see if anything has changed on the systemboard with regards to a new mac addr -- As it turns out, these mac addresses are defined in software by the BIOS and subsequentally by the kernel driver (I should have known) and therefore, there is no change with the new hardware to substantiate the part replacement.  Since I didn't record the original systemboard serial number, I'm still suspicious that nothing was replaced.  Lenovo escalates to a 2nd tier technician when a part comes back a second time.  I certainly hope they take care of it this time, or it will be the last Lenovo I buy.

Golan.

Options

156 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Message 18 of 28

2009-02-03, 0:35 AM
version 9.12.36 was the version that was (apparently) causing the same problem on my system, ie, unable to resume (reconnect) from standby.  version 9.7.255 corrected the issue.  despite the date stamps, when given a choice to automagically update the driver (b/w versions 9.7.255 and 9.12.36), Windows always chooses version 9.7.255, which in my case, solved the problem.  in other words, Windows seems to prefer version 9.7.255 over 9.12.36.  as i mentioned already, version 9.7.255 is available via windows/microsoft update (if the recommended updates option is enabled).

the driver parameters for your adapter are similar to mine, in addition to the following:

Enable PME: OS Controlled
AutoConnect Battery Saver: Enabled (disabled mode also ok)
Flow Control: Disabled (hmm, bizarre, that should be enabled)
Wake on Link: Disabled

btw, you've uninstalled those awful TV Access Connections and TV Power Management utilities/junk, right?  as i've pointed out in other threads, those utilities consistently interfere/conflict with Windows' native ability to manage the hardware properly.
Options

156 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Message 19 of 28

2009-02-03, 1:05 AM
incidentally, Lenovo is also providing version 9.7.255 of the ethernet driver (on the support site).
Options

56 Posts

01-16-2009

cincinnati

46 Signins

513 Page Views

• Views: 513
  • Message 20 of 28

2009-02-03, 14:29 PM
It was just a suggestion. Trying to throw new ideas into the equation.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms