07-04-2008

Colorado

7 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 7

Intel Turbo and WWAN - Buying Decision

2008-07-04, 20:16 PM

I wanted to order a new T61, but when I selectefd the Intel Turbo Option, I get this message:

Selection of Intel Turbo Memory hard drive cache does not allow configuration with Wireless WAN.  

I want to be able to use my Sprint Express WWAN card in this Laptop Computer.  Does this mean that my Sprint card will not work in this system, or simply the Turbo won't benefit me when I am using the WWAN card.  I don't want to order this and then find I can't access the Sprint network, but on the other hand, the Turbo Option is one of the reasons I am choosing Lenovo over other products.  Thanks for your help.

Options

9351 Posts

11-27-2007

SK

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Intel Turbo and WWAN - Buying Decision

2008-07-04, 21:34 PM

kpourbaix, welcome to the forum,

As I see it, it's an either or situation. Either Turbo or WWAN but not both. Take the WWAN as it would appear that Turbo Memory is of little use / effect up to now.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

267 Posts

02-04-2008

Canada

536 Signins

14076 Page Views

• Views: 14076
  • Message 3 of 7

2008-07-04, 21:35 PM

Hi!

Welcome to the forums!

IMHO, I would forego the Intel Turbo option altogether. It sounds nice on paper, but the technology is still in its infancy and tends to cause more problems than it's worth. For one, the Turbo card only works with Vista - no other operating system can make use of that tech, therefore if you ever decide to go back to XP, you'll be stuck with something you can't even use, plus it causes problems in XP. For faster service, you'd be better off purchasing more RAM instead (2GB Crucial, OCZ, Corsair at the same price as the  1GB Turbo Card).

Certainly, if you will require the WWAN, then by all means, go for that option... particularly if you have to choose between the two - go for what you will really use !

That's my opinion, other will certainly have different opinions. Best is to google around for opinions on the Intel Turbo memory, its benefits and disadvantages.

Cheers!

Steve

Options

222 Posts

06-20-2008

United States

397 Signins

7343 Page Views

• Views: 7343
  • Message 4 of 7

2008-07-05, 2:15 AM

The Wireless WAN option uses an internal Mini-PCIe card; Verizon and AT&T are the only currently available choices.  Your Sprint Express WWAN card will work as long as you order an Express Card slot.

The Turbo Memory option also uses an internal Mini-PCIe card.  Since there is only one open slot, you have to choose.  Let me argue for the Turbo Memory option.  First of all, who wants the potential headache of troubleshooting a defective internal WWAN card at your local Verizon or AT&T store? :smileymad:  Second of all, using a custom factory recovery (minimum install) on a T61 with 2GB RAM, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory and 5400 RPM hard drive, I see similar performance between Vista Business 64 and Windows XP Pro.  Finally, when your family, friends and coworkers are admiring you new T61, you can quietly remark "Oh, it also has Turbo Memory."  You cannot buy that kind of satisfaction. Well, you can, but amortized over the life of the T61, it's a good return on your investment. :smileyhappy:

Enjoy your new T61, whatever decision you make.

Don

Options

6 Posts

07-04-2008

Colorado

7 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2008-07-09, 21:43 PM

Thanks - that is good input.

So what do you think would happen if I got the Intel Turbo and tried to insert my Sprint ExpressCard?  Since it is a plug-in card , would it work?  Or if not, could I temporarily deactivate the Turbo while using the card?  Or does the card work, but there is no benefit to the Turbo while the Card is plugged in?  And I wonder if it is only the internal Sprint card that is the issue, since they both need the same connection on the motherboard, so it is only possible to order one or the other (built in Turbo or built in WWAN)?  Thanks for your help.

Kurt

Options

222 Posts

06-20-2008

United States

397 Signins

7343 Page Views

• Views: 7343
  • Message 6 of 7

2008-07-10, 23:04 PM

wrote:

And I wonder if it is only the internal Sprint card that is the issue, since they both need the same connection on the motherboard, so it is only possible to order one or the other (built in Turbo or built in WWAN)?

That is exactly the issue.  See the So Why Not a T61? post from Lenovo Blogs and this comment from that post.  Well, almost exactly.  Lenovo doesn't offer an internal Sprint card, only Verizon and AT&T.  In any event, there will be no conflict between the Turbo Memory and an external WWAN card.

If you thought you might have need of an internal Verizon/AT&T card at some point in the future, you could order the WWAN option without a card and then add the Turbo Memory yourself (you have to remove the palm rest and keyboard to get to the connection).  Amazon carries it for about the same price as Lenovo.  The problem with that solution is that you won't receive any support for the Turbo Memory from Lenovo.  Of course, you'd have to remove it when you added the internal WWAN card.

If you don't foresee the need for an internal WWAN card, I would order the Turbo Memory, for (most of) the reasons I gave before.

Don

Options

6 Posts

07-04-2008

Colorado

7 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2008-07-14, 15:13 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Kurt

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete