Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

03-31-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 7

Lenovo G50-30 Sound Recording Issues

2021-03-31, 11:59 AM

Hi,

I have just installed a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) on my G50-30 (bought about 5 years ago), and am having issues recording any audio being played directly through the PC (i.e. MIDI).

I've had issues recording from the sound card on this PC before - I seem to remember reading that the manufacturers were trying to block people recording audio from sources like YouTube, music and radio streaming services etc.

So what I wonder is - is it possible to run a DAW through this PC, and use it for music production? If so, am I missing any specific drivers? Or do the restrictions on audio recording make that impossible?

Thanks

Options

3643 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5606 Signins

63666 Page Views

• Views: 63666
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Lenovo G50-30 Sound Recording Issues

2021-03-31, 13:07 PM

Welcome to the Community

I don't have any experience with this model, but I do have two Lenovo computers I use as backups. They have my suite of audio production software installed and will record from the interwebs just fine. I mostly use a 9-year-old desktop that's on its last legs. It shipped with a half-duplex sound card. I knew that going in and bought a full-duplex card first thing. I keep it because it runs Windows 7, which has some features Win 10 does not. But that's another story.

Right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar. Choose Speaker Setup, then Advanced Setup. Click on the Recording tab. Right-click in the white space and make sure Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices are both ticked. 

At this point, you should see Stereo Mix as an available recording device. If you don't, the computer only has a half-duplex sound card. It won't record and play at the same time. There are some software workarounds, but I can't vouch for them. I try to make sure a computer has a full-duplex sound card before I buy it, which can take some work. I remember when I bought my desktop and one of the laptops, I spent a lot of time being bounced around the support helplines until they could find someone to give me a definitive answer. These days, it's a little easier as someone around here will know. 

Now, if you DO see Stereo Mix and it's not working, then we can probably figure it out. 

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

4 Posts

03-31-2021

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-03-31, 19:39 PM

Thanks so much Doctordon. I think you've helped me get to the bottom of this issue. And even though getting to the bottom of it means getting hold of some additional software, or possibly getting a new laptop, that feels like a step in the right direction.

So, when I right-click to enable Disabled and Disconnected devices, I don't see Stereo Mix. I also followed some instructions to try and enable Stereo Mix by editing the registry, and hit a brick wall there too.

Out of interest, I did the same thing on an older, faulty, laptop and was able to enable Stereo Mix.

So I think it's safe to assume my G50-30 only has a half-duplex sound card.

That being the case, I wonder if you, or someone else on here, knows of any software I could install to work round this and make the laptop usable as a DAW?

Thanks

Options

3643 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5606 Signins

63666 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-03-31, 20:57 PM

I actually don't have any experience with any. I remember researching it a while back and I wasn't happy with any of the solutions, but that's been a while. I may look as I'm getting set to review a ThinkPad Yoga. None of them are full-duplex equipped but I do want to put it through some audio and video paces. 

You might also investigate external sound card options. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but not for recording from the web. Not sure it'll do it. Were I to use it, I'd probably jack a separate laptop into it.

Stay on me.  I have a standing appointment to get to, now.

Doc

Options

4 Posts

03-31-2021

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-04-01, 0:19 AM

Thanks Doc,

Well, just to be clear, I don't want to record from the web - I just want to record MIDI, DI Instruments and vocals to build my own tracks.

So would an Audio Interface, like your Focusrite, act like an external sound card, and override my sound card issue?

Options

3643 Posts

12-13-2016

United States of America

5606 Signins

63666 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-04-01, 2:38 AM

No, but you probably need to sing to a MIDI track you've already recorded or produced. I haven't tried the Focusrite for that as the computer it's on has full duplex. I'm able to listen to a mix as I'm recording.

I'm currently installing all of it on the ThinkPad I mentioned. If I can find a way to get a track foldback into my headsets while recording, I'll let you know. :)

Stay on me.  I don't sing. I do voiceover work. I have to see videos as I read script. That's easy with a half-duplex or the FocusRite. Whole reason I have it is that I work with balanced audio coming from my mic processor. I needed a box that could take balanced audio and digitize it, then fire it down a USB cable to the computer and the DAW. 

Options

4 Posts

03-31-2021

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-04-01, 16:38 PM

Thanks Doc, Interesting to hear about your setup for voice work. I'll keep an eye on this thread, for if you have any more thoughts and suggestions. In the meantime, going to do a bit of research into Audio Interfaces.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms