Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-27-2008

Canada

4 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 1 of 3

Lenovo T61 Centrino Pro noise

2008-03-27, 4:03 AM

I have recently purchased a T61 14.1inch laptop.  Its pretty much loaded with everything you can throw in it, including a 512mb graphic card, to my surprise.  The problem is such, every time i take it off AC it starts making a hissing noise in the top left corner.  Its not too loud, but its loud enough for me to hear it.  To add to the confusion, it only makes the sound when i move the cursor around.  Thinking that it was a problem with just one notebook i have returned the originally purchased one, and got a brand new one, the noise is now much quieter, but still there.  I heard that some of them have that problem due to D2D.  I basically need to know if i should bring it in for service or not. 

Also what’s the average time for T61 to run on battery power, because I’m not getting those 5 hours, maximum i get only 3.5, maybe 4 but not likely.

Thank you.

Options

124 Posts

03-25-2008

Citrus Heights, California

64 Signins

1858 Page Views

• Views: 1858
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo T61 Centrino Pro noise

2008-03-27, 4:18 AM
If you switch the power scheme to power saver while you are on the battery, you will get those extra hours

Also, that optical mouse interference from the speakers is annoying yes. I would try using the touchpad, or another mouse and see if that helps.

Message Edited by jasonhockeyguy on 03-26-2008 09:21 PM
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club
Options

3 Posts

03-27-2008

Canada

4 Signins

64 Page Views

• Views: 64
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo T61 Centrino Pro noise

2008-03-27, 19:55 PM
The noise isnt from an optical mouse, its from the fan or whatever it is thats making it under the Esc key.  I have been reading alot of threads on this issue, and it seems that quite a large number of prople are having this problem.  And to be honest, i expected alot more from lenovo than completly ignoring the problem.  I paid over $1500 for my machine, choosing lenovo over Asus, Sony and Toshiba.  And this is what i get?  A fan noise that no one knows hot to fix and tech support is completly cluless about.  And i dont much belive in taking it  in for service, its brand new unit and i dont want for someone to poke it with a screwdriver 3 days out of the box!  Come on, have some pride in your product Lenovo.

Im not looking to turn the sound off, i can live with it if it doesnt cause damage to the computer, but for 1500 i choose not to live with it.  I have some family friends that work for IBM, and going to ask them to see if they cant do anything fo me.  Maybe Lenovo would treat their own employees with more respect than their customers.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms