Options

12 Posts

07-12-2020

PH

18 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Thinkpad T61 won't boot or sometimes can but the screen will produce a colorful static Screen

2020-07-12, 10:24 AM

Good Day to everyone and to whoever is willing to help me :)

Unfortunately, I have the very annoying problem. I'll tell the whole story about my problem.

Last week of 2020, my parent took the Lenovo Thinkpad T61 out of the attic (the laptop belonged to my dad). The AC Adapter is 20V and still runs good. The battery is broken and won't charge anymore but the laptop detects the inserted battery. The CMOS Battery also doesn't work so I had to fix the date and time.

One day later, I installed windows 7- 64 bit since windows XP is outdated. I tried doing benchmarks like running chrome, playing Happy Wheels, playing youtube videos all in ONE gigabyte of ram. Performance is great but I encountered a problem in which the laptop doesn't have a sound card. 9 Years ago, I remember watching youtube videos with the sound on. I downloaded SoundMax driver for the T61 model but the driver would not work. I then went back and downgraded to VISTA to see if the audio works. No hope. The next downgrade is to XP - 64 BIT. No Hope either. Over-all performance after downgrading is still great. The laptop still runs fast. Since I couldn't get the audio to work, I gave up and went to install windows 7 again- 64 bit. During the install of windows 7-64bit. My dad accidentally removed the plug from the wall and the laptop shutted down (REMINDER: battery was broken so all hopes of laptop use goes to the AC Adapter. I then rebooted the laptop to install windows 7-64bit again. During the install at "Copying Windows Files: 80%. The whole screen of the laptop turned static. The colors are black and white and produce in a wave-like movement. I then shutted the laptop down and and decided to format the hard drive on my Ideapad 310 Laptop. The format was successful. I then took the hard drive back to the T61, turned it on, and would not boot at all. I tried to boot it up on different outlets and still could not get it to work. I disassembled the laptop into pieces to look for the problem by, removing wires, CD-ROM, fan, etc. Still no hope. My dad found a youtube video telling us, if it won't boot, try remapping the ram into another slot, reinsert the battery, remove hard drive. Those methods work for a short time.

How it booted after doing the method: 

1. GREEN LIGHTS from the display of the laptop, lights up including the battery, cylinder thingy, etc. 

2. The screen says the brand of the laptop. 

3. It automatically booted me to bios because I don't have a CMOS Battery.

4. I saved the changes to BIOS which are only these things: Boot Priority Order(CD-ROM), and the Date/Time.

5. Since my Windows 7 disc is in the drive, the screen said: "Installing Windows Files".

6. I configured the installation the same way I did after my parent got the laptop out of the attic.

7. During the installation (Windows is expanding files), The screen turned into static again but with colors this time and produces waves.

8. The laptop just shuts itself off again.

9. After powering the laptop, The laptop won't boot and led lights WON'T light up the Cylinder thingy.

10. After a couple of seconds, the laptop would restart and do the same process. Power on and Power off. The fan would work for a short while when powering on. It would stop when the laptop is about to restart.

After my experiences listed below, I decided to give the laptop a break. I gave like 15 - 30 minutes of break. The laptop then boots up normally for a short while until it reaches the BIOS. Tried reinstalling windows 7 and this time, the static screen appeared again when it was at "Windows is Loading Files". After that, My laptop shutted down and restarts as a loop. 

The Next Day, The laptop booted up normally and has reached the BIOS screen. I then saved configurations and the static screen returned again but this time, without installing windows 7.

I noticed that the laptop heats up so fast in seconds. I removed the touchpad case (in which a ribbon cable is connected and the ram can be found.) and touched the part where it heats up. I powered on the laptop again and I found out that the little black square next to the ram slots heats up like putting your hands in a hot shower. There is a black sticker similar to an electrical tape on top of this part so I decided to removed it (Only the part where it heats up). I know it has nothing to do with the ram, cmos battery and the laptop battery itself. 

Finally, I did the same things such as powering the laptop on but still restarts, giving the laptop atleast 30 minutes of break but still couldn't get it to work properly. 

The CPU part of the motherboard doesn't heat at all. The picture below is where the motherboard overheats. I don't know if this part that overheats is the problem that won't make my laptop to go boot and work properly. Do you think that the accident that the adapter being removed, short-circuited my motherboard and couldn't get it to work at all?  Leave your suggestions below :

P.S. I don't think the BIOS was corrupted either because it works sometimes when giving the laptop a rest. 

LAPTOP SPECS:

a.Intel Centrino.

b.1GB Ram.

c.HDD 160GB of storage.

d. I forgot the GPU model sorry.

e.CPU: I also forgot but I only remember Intel Centrino/

Picture of the part or area that overheats: 

the yellow arrow is pointing at this black square thing. AGAIN, I'm not sure if this has something to do with boot problems. This square thing heats up for 5 seconds then it becomes cool when the laptop shuts off. During the on and off loop, this part heats up and down, up and down, and so on.

Options

12 Posts

07-12-2020

PH

18 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Lenovo Thinkpad T61 won't boot or sometimes can but the screen will produce a colorful static Screen

2020-07-12, 10:27 AM

Sorry forgot to add this. The Laptop model is 7663A12

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete