Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

32 Posts

10-18-2008

Palo Alto, CA

870 Signins

1366 Page Views

• Views: 1366
  • Message 171 of 243

Re: NEW Battery Tip - Applicable for some T, X, R models and batteries

2010-02-14, 4:10 AM

Well, I am still having problems so decided to check if there was a newer version of Power Manager available. There was. 1.73

Downloaded and installed and amazingly, it will not charge or reset the battery meter for my third party battery! It does charge my OEM battery, but this is now down to 60% of capacity with 8 cycles. I will try to reset the battery meter over night tonight to see if they fixerd a bug, but willing to bet I'll be down to 50% after that. If I don't post here in the morning, I was right.

There HAS to be a problem either with the Power Manager or charging circuit. And wouldn't it be nice if Lenovo responded to this problem.

~Bob

Options

32 Posts

10-18-2008

Palo Alto, CA

870 Signins

1366 Page Views

• Message 172 of 243

2010-02-14, 14:35 PM

Well, I'll be...

First time ever running a battery meter reset that I GAINED battery capacity. Went from 60 to 68%. Not great for a battery with 10 cycles, but better than ever before when I would always lose capacity. Maybe this new version of Power Manager will help. I am tempted to reset again tonight to see if I gain more.

And then, need to try again with my third party battery to see if Power Manager still refuses to recharge or reset this battery.

~Bob

Options

19 Posts

05-02-2008

Fredericton NB CA

72 Signins

956 Page Views

• Views: 956
  • Message 173 of 243

2010-02-14, 19:28 PM

If anybody have any problem with running the diagnostic tool, try unplug the ac power and then run the tool.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 174 of 243

2010-02-15, 16:49 PM

rebop,

As I understand it, the battery fuel gauge reset function cannot reset more than 30% of the battery capacity per cycle.   Also, in order to properly update during normal usage, battery needs to start at 100% and discharge to 4% or less without being plugged back in.  

Personally, this is not my particular behavior pattern as I go about my day, undocking my system that has charged to 100%, and then off to some meetings for an hour or so at a time and then returning to my dock station.  It's rare that I get down to 10%, let alone 4%.   As a result, I know that my battery run time is not the most accurately represented.

I have also heard that Windows may have settings to enable hibernation sooner, so if the 4% point is not crossed before hibernation, the battery may not properly relearn it's capacity and there can be a discrepancy that grows over time.

There are also a lot of different battery chip designs - and it's possible that Lenovo and 3rd party branded compatible batteries might return different results.

Tu13es,

Can you explain a bit more?  I understand the flashing orange battery light, but I'm not clear if you are saying that the system shuts down if you unplug the AC or if you unplug the battery.  If you remove the battery, the system should continue to run on AC.   If the battery is bad, I would expect it to shut off if you remove the AC.   In the former case, I would get a multi-meter and check the adapter output at the tip.  In the latter, I would replace the battery, under warranty, under an applicable extended service program (if qualifying) or through purchasing a replacement as an option.  Generally the option prices are better than the service part prices out of warranty, and we frequently run 10% option / accessory coupons which can help too.

Best regards,

Mark

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 175 of 243

2010-02-15, 17:20 PM

erick,

There are a lot of questions on batteries, and I don't want to give the impression that I don't care (personally) and that Lenovo does not care as a company.  

The fact is, batteries wear out, and unfortunately not all behave exactly the same.  We warranty them for 1 year, and now have some new 3 year offerings starting to show up.  We all expect batteries to last longer than a year, but that has been the warranty period.  

From time to time, Lenovo identifies particular part numbers that are failing in higher than expected rates in months just beyond warranty.  We set up extended services, usually for an additional 6 months to allow replacements for those with a particular set of symptoms that would otherwise have fallen out.   We have one program like this running now, and that is why I started this thread - to ensure members were aware and could take advantage of it.

We've had other, similar programs, one just expired Sept '09 which covered other battery part numbers.   Unfortunately, these do expire, and do not provide open ended coverage.   I understand this can be a dissatisfier to those who fall outside these programs either due to qualifying time or part number.

Best regards,

Mark

Options

32 Posts

10-18-2008

Palo Alto, CA

870 Signins

1366 Page Views

• Message 176 of 243

2010-02-15, 17:35 PM

Mark,

I thought that was what the Battery Maintenance did automatically? And I have all alarms and settings turned off when I do this, so that does not get in the way.

So, since for the first time and since the new BM 1.73 gained battery capacity the first time I ran it, I tried again yesterday. Lost 4 % this time. I was hoping running it a few times might get me back into the green rather than "poor" battery condition. But alas, no.

~Bob

Options

6 Posts

02-19-2010

Michigan

6 Signins

209 Page Views

• Views: 209
  • Message 177 of 243

Re: t61p battery just went dead

2010-02-19, 1:41 AM

I have a Lenovo 6459-cto, and I too have the same problem.  The battery just died, I thought it would be covered under my extended warranty, until I called today.  My grandson, age 14, is using this computer, and the deal was that he has to cover any expenses like this.  I hope IBM is reading these posts, because somehow my grandson has to come up with this money. 

Buy the way, has anyone looked to see where the battery is not covered by the extended warranty?  If so, please let me know.  Email xxxxxxxx

Moderator note; e-mail address removed to stop the spambots getting it

Options

2 Posts

02-08-2010

Houston

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 178 of 243

2010-02-23, 20:08 PM

Hi,

I'm uisng T61 series and my FRU number is 42T5262

Battery is not charging and its saying " The Battery cannot be charged. Replace with new Battery"

I bought it in Sep 2008, I've finding problem in battery for last six months.

Other Computers of mine are working which are 4 yrs old, Please help me how to replace new battery.

Thanks

Options

5 Posts

01-09-2009

Warsaw, Poland

33 Signins

216 Page Views

• Views: 216
  • Message 179 of 243

2010-03-01, 20:27 PM

T500 with battery FRU#42T4511. 16 months old. Same issue.

There is another thread with many other users impacted by this FRU: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-9-Cell-battery-failure-FRU-42T4511/td-p/110428

Options

1 Posts

03-04-2010

USA

3 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 180 of 243

2010-03-04, 4:20 AM

Hi,

I have the same problem. My battery, FRU 92P1131,  suddenly died two weeks ago.

My battery should be eligible for replacement.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=BATT-LENOVO.

I tried the battery diagnostic tool. I got the message "An order is already in process for this battery." although I have never ordered a replacement.

I contacted the customer service, tech support and web sales but they denied to replace my battery.

According to their information, FRU 92P1131 was also eligible for

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=BATT-082009

But, they said that this recall program already expired.

I don't know why they still put this recall information on their web.

Lenovo says  "Lenovo is offering replacements". However, it is not true.

Even if your battery is a recall product, they don't want to replace it.

There is no such recall program anymore.

Thank you

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms