02-25-2008

United States

12 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 1 of 4

Number Lock for External Keyboard

2008-02-26, 16:51 PM
For the "Power state" docked, is there a way to have the external keyboard number lock on and then, when the laptop is undocked, the number lock on the T61 is off? I have checked the BIOS and set the ThinkPad NumLock to Synchronized. And the Power-On Numlock to Auto. [INDEPENDENT] ThinkPad Numlock can be disabled independently of the NumLock state of an external keyboard. If ThinkPad NumLock in Enabled, the external keyboard NumLk[sic] will also be enabled. [Synchronized] ThinkPad NumLock and NumLock on external keyboard are synchronized. [Auto] Enables NumLock only when full size keyboard is attached. Did Lenovo complicate the Number Lock for external keyboards or am I missing something? INDEPENDENT does not really sound all that independent. How about this Lenovo engineer. If docked, then numlock on. If not docked, then numlock off.
IT Staff Supporting Lenovo T42, T43, T60, T61 Products for a Business.
Options

539 Posts

11-24-2007

Mt. Cobb, PA USA

618 Signins

20276 Page Views

• Views: 20276
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Number Lock for External Keyboard

2008-02-27, 21:59 PM
The majority of laptops is delivered without a docking station.
And the BIOS (on both PCs and laptops) normally only offers a Power-On NumLock On or Off.

A laptop by itself would normally have NumLock Off.
Why be so fussy for when you dock, using an external KB? Just press the NumLock key there, and you're done!
Don't bother with Synchronizing settings.
You make it sound like you (or your users) are constantly docking/undocking.
Options

5 Posts

02-25-2008

United States

12 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-02-29, 0:22 AM
I have some users that do undock and dock. They did not learn about having the number lock on for the external keyboard by staying up late reading Computer Power User. They learned about it from their simple Dell D600's that they had prior to the Lenovo T61. I can accept it as yet another element of over-engineering. Thank you for the confirmation.
IT Staff Supporting Lenovo T42, T43, T60, T61 Products for a Business.
Options

39 Posts

11-26-2008

USA

15 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-11-26, 21:44 PM

I'm a perfect example of this. I have only 1 computer, my T43. When I get to the office, I use a port replicator (IBM) w/ an external kb. The system ALWAYS boots up w/ NumLk OFF. I start entering data and always have to remember to turn NumLk ON. I want it to boot up, when on the port replicator, w/ NumLk ON. Can't figure out how to set that.

However: when I shut down, undock, and reboot later, i.e. at home or when traveling -- I leave the office w/ my laptop every day so this is a constant issue for me, not just occasional -- I want the laptop to boot up (no port replicator, just the laptop) w/ NumLk OFF. However, in this case, it boots w/ NumLk ON.

This behavior is precisely the opposite of what I want. I want NumLk ON when docked / port replicator. I want NumLk OFF when undocked.

Is there a way to set that?

Yes, I can hit the NumLk key every time I boot up. That's been driving me nuts ever since I got this machine 3 yrs ago. Any further suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete