Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-29-2007

CA, USA

3 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 4

Received T61p With Wrong Recovery CDs

2007-12-29, 1:31 AM
Hi, I bought my fifth ThinkPad, a T61p, with Vista Ultimate preinstalled, under Order #2CH024. The shipping went smoothly. Actually, the package arrived earlier than expected!

After some tests and experiments, I decided to reinstall the machine back to the factory default using the "Rescue and Recovery CD", "Supplemental Product Recovery CD", and "Product Recovery CD". This is also the last test on the list.

Guess what happened when the whole process was done? I was presented with a Windows XP Pro!!!

After checking with the electronic invoice I received in email, nothing about XP was listed on there, but further examination of the label sticked on outside of the package listing the parts installed in this machine revealed following 3 Windows-related items:

MS Label (Vista Premium) QTY - 1.000
MS XP Prof. US Eng.RCD QTY - 1.000
MsWVisUlt32 US English

Now, where is my Vista Ultimate that I paid for? Seems like wrong items have been shipped. I am going to need to bring this machine for a business trip!

Lenovo rep, please send me my Recovery CDs with Vista Ultimate immediately after you have verified the information I provided. Please send a 32-/64-bit combo Recovery CD set. Thank you.
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23523 Signins

803305 Page Views

• Views: 803305
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Received T61p With Wrong Recovery CDs

2007-12-29, 1:49 AM
From the Welcome board:

While members from Lenovo may participate at intervals to engage in the discussions and offer advice and suggestions, this forum is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel.

You'll need to call the support line for this as requesting shipment here is unlikely to result in delivery.

To answer your question, though, the version of Vista Ultimate that you paid for was installed on the HDD along with the software necessary to create the Recovery CDs for it.  The XP CDs you received as an extra item are being included so that you could downgrade to XP should you choose to do so.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

3 Posts

12-29-2007

CA, USA

3 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 3 of 4

2007-12-29, 3:47 AM
Nonny,

Thanks for the information.

So I have to use the HDD to creat my own recover CD set? My... Let's pray those partitions were not "recovered"... But I think I better don't hold my breath on this.....

Oh... Man... I followed the "Using the Recovery CD set" instruction guide religiously to restore my new T61p back to the "factory default", and this is what I got?

C'mon Lenovo, you can do better than this... At least include a startup notification or another sheet of instruction so your customers are aware of this...
Options

8 Posts

12-16-2007

Michigan, USA

42 Signins

315 Page Views

• Views: 315
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-01-06, 20:58 PM
It seems that Lenovo is shipping XP downgrade CDs with machines. If you want Vista recovery CDs you need to burn them off the machine BEFORE you blow it away. Prior to the Free Downgrade policy, NO recovery CDs were shipped. Quite simply, Lenovo can not let you burn XP and Vista recovery CDs so they provide physical media for one and electronic images of the other.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms