Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

08-26-2008

USA

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 6

T40 - how to access files from the laptop HDD connected as an external drive to another computer?

2008-08-26, 23:00 PM

Hi,

I have an old IBM T40 Thinkpad which suddenly started showing FAN ERROR.

I tried to get a quote to get it repaired; I understand it costs about $275 at IBM / Lenovo Hardware Depot. Is there a cheaper way I can fix this problem?

While waiting to find a cheaper way, I wanted to move my files from the laptop HDD to my desktop. I removed the laptop HDD and conencted it to my desktop as an external HDD - using "ULTRA USB to IDE/ SATA connector". It works ! I am able to read all the contents of the laptop HDD except for my own files.

I am the admin user on that laptop; all other users are non-admin users (children). When I connected this to my desktop, I am able to see all the files of all users except my own... I guess this is a security feature from IBM ?? It is very good  to know that this feature exists - especially if we lose our laptop.

But now, this feature became a problem for me... I am not able to retrieve the files. I know my admin password; but I don't see any place to use that to open my folders on the laptop HDD.

Please let me know if you have any solution to this problem?

1. How to access my files (I am the admin user)  from my laptop HDD when is removed and connected to a desktop as an external hard drive?

2. How get the FAN ERROR fixed in a low cost way (i.e., replacing the fan)

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: T40 - access files from the laptop HDD connected as an external drive to another computer?

2008-08-27, 7:14 AM

vsreddy, welcome to the forum,

1. If you enter the properties of the folder you need to access and choose security, then advanced and choose owner. You should be able to take ownership of the folder. 

2. You can replace the fan yourself, instructions and part number to order can be found in the Hardware Maintainance Manual. You can order parts online or through the Boulder parts center at 1-800-388-7080. 

Hope this helps

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

4 Posts

08-26-2008

USA

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re: T40 - access files from the laptop HDD connected as an external drive to another computer?

2008-08-27, 13:31 PM

>>>1. If you enter the properties of the folder you need to access and choose security, then advanced and choose owner. You should be able to take ownership of the folder. 

Hi Andy,

Thanks a lot for responding so fast !! I couldn't believe some could respond to my question so fast!!!

I tried what you suggested:

1. The moment I click on the folder with my name, it shows an error message "Access Denied"

2. So, I right-clicked and selected "Properties" and then clicked the "Advanced" button

3. That does not give me any options to select Owner. It has two sections and options underneath as given below:

Section 1: Archive and Index Attributes:

- Folder is ready for archiving

- For fast searching, allow indexing...

Section 2: Compress or Encrypt Attributes:

- Compress Contents to save disk space

- Encrypt contents to secure data

The "Details" button is greayed out; I can't click it

Please let me know if I can do anything else to gain access to my folders...

Options

19 Posts

08-24-2008

Sweden

105 Signins

887 Page Views

• Views: 887
  • Message 4 of 6

2008-08-27, 14:01 PM

Try booting your computer in Safe Mode and do the procedure Andy mentioned. I think the option "Security" will appear then.

I encountered this problem as well on my desktop when my Windows installation in some way screwed up and I couldn't boot the computer, luckily I had two HDDs installed and I just swapped HDDs and installed a working Windows on the other one. After doing that I also couldn't access my own files.The solution was to boot the comp in Safe Mode and change the ownership of the files.

Options

4 Posts

08-26-2008

USA

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2008-08-27, 14:25 PM

Hi Kervin,

Thanks a lot!!!

Let me try this and come back to you !

I am soooooo glad that I am getting help soooooo fast :)

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 6 of 6

2008-08-27, 14:43 PM
I believe, not 100% sure, it may also be required that Fast User Switching is turned off; i.e. you have to have the good old Ctrl+Alt+Del log-in dialogue field.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms