Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-25-2008

NJ

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 3

T41 Wireless Networking Problem

2008-03-25, 21:36 PM
Hi, I have a model T41 type 2372 8RU Laptop.  I works fine with one major exception.  The computer really had a hard time detecting the wireless signals from wireless access points.  Over the weekend, I was at a hotel with a free WIFI network.  My Thinkpad (either through access connections or windows wireless networking) absolutely could not detect any wireless networks.  Meanwhile there were other computers all around me that were picking up signals.  Even my PDA which is Wifi enabled had no problem connecting with the wireless network.

While I look under network connections, it tells me that the wireless card (Atheros Mini PCI Wifi Network card seems to be installed - 802.11a/b/g and says it is working properly).  When I get home, it does find my wireless access point, but only if I am literally within 5 or 10 feet.  Anthing further or into another room and it is unable to detect the network. 

Not sure what could be causing this problem, I would apprecaite any help that might diagnose or fix why the computer cannot pick up signals?  Could it be something to do with the wireless antenna?  Is there a way to diagnose?  Any ideas on how to fix?
Options

124 Posts

03-25-2008

Citrus Heights, California

64 Signins

1858 Page Views

• Views: 1858
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T41 Wireless Networking Problem

2008-03-25, 22:29 PM
Youre not alone in this battle. I would enter the routers device webpage and manually specifiy a router radio channel. Preferrably Channel 6 or 11.  Never let the router automatically configure it for you.
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club
Options

3 Posts

03-25-2008

NJ

4 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T41 Wireless Networking Problem

2008-03-26, 0:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.  But this does not help me when I am trying to find Wifi points outside my house.  Also, why would the channel make a difference?  Is this a know issue with T41?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms