Berlin, Germany

2 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 4

T41 does not boot up

2008-06-07, 21:24 PM
Hi,
please help me to understand how to figure out the problem of my T41 :smileysad:

While I was watching a digital picture through a usb stick the T41 froze and never switched on again.

When I plug the power cable to the laptop the led of chargin the batery switches on and the batery actually charge. There are no problems with the power cable as I can try it with other IBM laptops and it works.

When I press the power-on buttonm the fan starts to blow like usual and the lights of the wireless antenna and of the power-cable switchs on as well. But no other sign is given, the screen remains black, the HD doesn't run.

I tried to take the HD, battery and half of the RAM (one of the two modules of 512MB each) out and the behaviour is exactly the same.

Pressing the powr button again the fan stops, the power light and the wireless light switch off and only the battery light remains switched on as it charges correctly.

Pleasy help me at least just to figure out what component can be the cause.
Thank you very much!
Options

2 Posts

12-01-2008

St. Louis, MO, USA

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: T41 does not boot up

2008-12-01, 4:38 AM

hello.  i am just wondering if you ever resolved this issues.  the exact same thing is happening to my machine.  the display began doing strange things, and then it went blank.  now it behaves precisely as you describe below.  i hear the fan, and the power indicator lights are on, but it does not boot up and does not display anything.

i would be very grateful if you could share anything you learned.  thank you.

Options

27 Posts

09-08-2008

Ontario

43 Signins

336 Page Views

• Views: 336
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-12-03, 16:23 PM

If you do a search, you will see this is a fairly common problem on the T4* series Thinkpads. It's usually the ATI GPU... If it's under warranty, you should get an RMA. If it's not, try looking on Craigslist, ebay or similar (or just get a new laptop... it may be cheaper).

If you decide to try to replace the system board, look beyond the T4* series. I got an R-series system board that fit in my T43p no problem. Also, try to find a system board with the integrated Intel video rather than the ATI.

Best of luck.

Madi

Options

2 Posts

12-01-2008

St. Louis, MO, USA

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-12-03, 18:51 PM
many thanks.  we'll give that a shot.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete