Options

9 Posts

09-28-2008

US

15 Signins

124 Page Views

• Views: 124
  • Message 1 of 2

T42 DVD/CDRW Combo drive not reading CDs. System Folder Icon changes. XP Pro SP2.

2008-09-28, 18:08 PM

Device manager shows correctly 'Ma**bleep**a UJDA755zDVD/CDRW'.

System Folder icon shows 'DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:)'

If I insert a CD, the System Folder icon changes to 'CD-ROM' and displays 'Please insert a disk into drive D:'

If I insert a DVD, the System Folder icon changes to 'DVD-ROM' and displays 'Please insert a disk into drive D:'

Am able to burn a CD, but as shown above cannot read. Disabling the drive in device manager, rebooting and re-enabling will make drive read once, rebooting again and it cannot read.

Using RegEdit to remove LowerLimit and UpperLimit does not help.

Have updated drive to latest firmware and run (to no avail) Microsoft AutoRun fix.

Drive works flawlessly  under Ubuntu 8.04.1, seems to be an XPP registry issue, but where?

Lost at this point, would appreciate any pointers...

Options

7 Posts

10-06-2008

California

10 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: T42 DVD/CDRW Combo drive not reading CDs. System Folder Icon changes. XP Pro SP2.

2008-10-06, 6:36 AM

I am having the exact same issue with a brand new T400.  When I insert a CD or DVD into the drive, no spin up occurs.  When I double click on the DVD-ROM/CD drive in My Computer, Windows tells me to insert a disc.

I've disabled the Automatic Power Savings for the optical drive.  I've also installed the latest firmware and made the regedit changes suggested by Microsoft (UpperFilter/LowerFilter).

I can't determine whether this is a software bug or hardware failure.  Does anyone have any insight?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save