01-16-2013

Palo Alto, CA

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 1 of 9

T42 fan replacement?

2013-01-16, 5:31 AM

I have an old but still good T42 that needs a fan again. Last time I bought a "refurbished" fan and heatsink because it was cheaper. Well its making noise again 6 months later.  Has anyone had any luck replacing the fan ONLY because I did order a fan only to find out it wouldn't fit.  There are fan/heatsinks for sale but they are around $30. And since this includes a large heatsink that does not wear out I wonder if it is possible to replace fan ONLY. and save a few bucks.

I suppose I could oil the bearings but if that is only good for a couple of months that is not a good solution for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.   Thanks.

Solved! See the solution
Options

278 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Views: 62458
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: T42 fan replacement?

2013-01-16, 7:08 AM

Welcome to the Forum!

What is the 7-digit type/model number on the back of your laptop?

3687 Posts

12-02-2007

US

8998 Signins

186362 Page Views

• Views: 186362
  • Message 3 of 9

2013-01-16, 8:30 AM

Hello,

I have had good results buying replacement parts for ThinkPads such as fan/heatsink assemblies on eBay.  Just make sure you get the correct part number (as I'm sure Anastasios will help you ascertain) and look for a seller with a good reputation.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

1 Posts

03-14-2013

newport,oregon,usa

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 4 of 9

2013-03-14, 19:31 PM

I need a new fan too.  When I look on the back my type is 2378-FVU

Options

278 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2013-03-14, 21:51 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

There were two types of fans employed in the T42 series: Short fan and Long Fan.

These are the original specs. your T42 left the factory with:

ThinkPad T42 (2378-FVU)             

P M 735, 256MB RAM, 40GB 5400rpm HDD, 14.1 SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 64MB ATI Radeon 9600, 24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD, Intel 802.11b/g wireless(MPCI), Modem(CDC), 1Gb Ethernet(LOM), UltraNav, Secure Chip, 6 cell Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro

Your T42 uses the Long Fan M10 to more efficiently cool the ATI Radeon 9600 GPU. You can confirm this by checking your type/model against fan FRU's in T42 system service parts here. Fan FRU part numbers are listed there which you can use to assist your search. In your case, you can use long fan M10 FRU 13R2657 or even 13N5442. 13R2657 (M10) works a bit better.

I have a lot of T42 parts lying around. I'm pretty sure I have an T42 long fan M10 available. It's a genuine I.B.M. part, fully tested, freshly cleaned and lubricated, running smoothly and quietly. If interested, you can contact me via PM by clicking my name on the left and I will take the time to check. Much safer purchasing a genuine part from an established Forum member that taking chances on Ebay, where there are a lot of non-genuine (fake) parts, wrong parts they'll send you, or parts listed as "working pull" although they have not taken the time to properly test it. Then when you receive it, it growls like a bear and is noisier than your old fan LOL.:)

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

08-23-2014

USA

5 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 6 of 9

2014-08-23, 16:53 PM

I realize this is an old thread, but google seems not to care, so I won't either. Hope you don't.

I have a t42p also. The fan started making noise,a nd then I got the fan error on and off.

It is a 2373-wbk. When I click on the link above, I don't find (or I don't see) that model. Is m-10 enough to know? Do you still have one?

Options

278 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2014-08-25, 14:58 PM

wrote:

I realize this is an old thread, but google seems not to care, so I won't either. Hope you don't.

I have a t42p also. The fan started making noise,a nd then I got the fan error on and off.

It is a 2373-wbk. When I click on the link above, I don't find (or I don't see) that model. Is m-10 enough to know? Do you still have one?

Hi,

T42 system service parts list of fans is missing a few models, including your very nice T42p:

ThinkPad T42p (2373-WBK) 

Based 2373-CTO: P M 745, 1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HDD, 15 UXGA(1600x1200) TFT LCD, 128MB ATI FireGL T2, 24x24x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD(slim), IBM 802.11a/b/g wireless, Modem, 1Gb Ether, UltraNav, Sec Chip, 9c Li-Ion, WinXP Pro

Today, 8-25-14, I was able to pull up your specs from http://support1.lenovo.com/en_US/landing.page? but TPTB threaten to remove this resource at any time (see http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Feedback-on-the-new-support-site/A-change-is-coming-next-chapter-in-e-support-at-Lenovo/td-p/1532408). So you may want to copy and paste this list of your basic specs. for your future reference, as well as download a copy of all major drivers for your system before they're gone. (In case your hard drive crashes and you need to re-load your system in the future). Lenovo is a company whose executives/ top decision makers obviously lack any morals, love or fear of God. Their bottom line is $ money $ money $money. Ok fine, so $money is their god. So I wonder if the geniuses at Lenovo ever though of things this way: By maintaining our resources of drivers and MTM basic specs. as a courtesy for old models (which is an accepted/ expected practice for most respectable companies), we encourage customer loyalty, and build trust across generational barriers. Those hanging on to their old T42's and other old models, able to upkeep and maintain, and re-load drivers when necessary, will respect and trust Lenovo. They will be likely to recommend our company (Lenovo) to their friends when asked, "I'm looking for a new laptop/ tablet/ smartphone. What is a good, reliable brand ?" Their friends will hear the name "Lenovo" as years of trust and confidence, memories going back to old T42, T20, 701C, Transnote, 600, A20m, 770, T60, T400 fill their mind. Their friends, not technically gifted/ knowledgeable, but having heard the name "Lenovo" from their old friend with his old T42, will go online or to their local electronics superstore, where they will see some of the new Lenovo models, including the T440 and T540, even with their ugly new keyboard design and moronic new touchpad mechanism, and, being newbies but having the name "Lenovo" in mind, will buy the newest  Lenovo laptop models. Mission accomplished! Lenovo makes $money $money $money. So, by maintaining the resource/ archive of drivers/ MTM basic specs for older models- which a trained chimpanzee can do, and only costs 2 cents or so, (as any intelligent person realizes Lenovo wants to/ is getting rid of these old resources to "force"/ bully people into buying new laptops and has nothing to do with manpower or lack of resources from a billion dollar company)- by maintaining this valuable resource as a courtesy to loyal Lenovo customers, including myself, Lenovo will not lose customers but gain customers. In my case I ran across/ learned how to change the CMOS battery on an old I-series my brother had, then purchased a few 600-series, then T20/21/22/23, x31, T42/43, and then started buying x60/61, T60 and x201 for myself, my brother and sister. Then I bought T61, T400, T500 , x220, x131e and W500, W700, and soon want to get a W520. But it all started with an old I-series. I wonder if any of the geniuses at Lenovo ever thought that maintaining loyalty among those who own older models by maintaining a proper/ simple/ easy to navigate website of drivers, HMM, spec sheets, parts lists, MTM search function will not cause a loss of business, but will absolutely lead to more business and more sales of their newest models!

Your model 2373-wbk is based on 2373-CTO, which is absent in many areas of the parts list, as it is "Configure-To-Order." But yes, more powerful M10 long fan is definitely what you need. If you check the fan used an almost identical model, which is listed in system service parts, you will see it utilizes long fan M10:

ThinkPad T42p (2373-7XU)   

P M 745, 512MB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HDD, 15 UXGA(1600x1200) TFT LCD, 128MB ATI FireGL T2, CD-RW/DVD-R Multi-Burner(slim), Intel 802.11b/g wireless(MPCI), Modem(CDC), 1Gb Ethernet(LOM), UltraNav, Secure Chip, 6 cell Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro.

And since you directly ask, yes, I have long fan M10 available. You may send me a private message by clicking my name on the left. Whether you get it from me or another source, no big deal. (And I hope TPTB don't censure me for answering your query, or read all my private messages and slander me as I know one of their "volunteers" did before. It's amazing how these Lenovo reps. and "volunteers" on a "power trip" have nothing better to do than bother people when they should be focusing on getting their website working properly and training their customer service reps. to help their customers with all the complaints they get about their products. Oh boy, I've made a pathetic 2 cents and helped a few people by supplying a couple small/ hard to find parts in almost 2 years on the Lenovo Forum while spending many, many hours writing very useful posts to help Lenovo's customers. Instead of being grateful, TPTB (and their "volunteers") alienate, bark at and mistreat me and other loyal customers/ Thinkpad enthusiasts).

One final thought: If Lenovo goes ahead with their shameful plan to remove driver download pages, specs. lookup and other resources for older models, you will have a difficult time maintaining your T42. I don't know if you purchased your T42 new or used. Imagine those people who purchased their laptop new from IBM or Lenovo. Now maybe they need to reload their EOL (End of Life) systems because their hard drive crashed, so they go to the Lenovo website searching for drivers. Lenovo basically snarls, "Too bad! Your laptop is too old. Throw it in the garbage, you cheapskate, and buy one of our new models, then you'll have access to drivers." I wonder if any company in the world should operate this way, ever! If I bought a laptop new from a company, and they basically tell me they will NOT have the simple human kindness/ courtesy to provide some drivers (which they have and could easily provide, but refuse because my laptop is "too old"), I would be up in arms.

In my case, I have a bunch of old T20/21/22/23, 600/e/x, T40/41/42/43, x31, x41T, A20m/p, too many to list, which I regularly fix up, load with drivers from the Lenovo website, and donate as an absolute act of charity (absolutely free, no strings attached, don't mention my name) to the poorest of the poor- school children in Orissa, northern India, Philippines, Ukraine, Guyana (South America) and other projects I am currently working on. I don't "let my left hand know what my right hand is doing" (Matthew 6:3,4, the Holy Bible) but do my works of charity quietly. The only reason I mention it here is because some of my works of charity ("mitzvahs")  involve fixing up/ donating these old IBM/ Lenovo laptops and without access to drivers it will be very difficult... Poor, mountain tribe, low-caste Dalit and slum Indian children join me in saying, "Lenovo, shame on you!"

P.S. You need Long fan M10 P/N 13R2657. As for my comments scolding Lenovo: I have righteous indignation over their abusive actions, and have incorporated my feelings into this post, which are absolutely on-topic as I had to look up specs. from their (ever-changing/ often-malfunctioning website) to answer your question. But if you reply to my post, don't go into this issue.  So hopefully TPTB will leave my post alone and not delete it, which is an all too common practice on this Forum- deleting or censoring unpopular opinions, although Lenovo claims this is a "peer" to "peer" forum and makes it seem that as if they welcome open, honest opinions. (Just in case, I already archived this well-thought out, honest post on my own personal laptop and will only become angrier if it is deleted, in which case I will make it a point to warn others of Lenovo's cruelty when I preach to thousands in India and Philippines next year. BTW, I have a way of figuring out which "volunteer" has deleted a post. And I would pray God judges such nasty behavior). 

2 Posts

08-23-2014

USA

5 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 8 of 9

2014-08-25, 16:46 PM

Thanks for your help. I guess it's no wonder I couldn't find my model if it's not listed. I may be back in touch with you about what drivers I may need to archive in order to keep this machine viable in case of a disk crash. It's not the only t42p I have, but it's the one that I use almost exclusively.

Options

2 Posts

07-09-2015

Segamat, MY

2 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 9 of 9

2015-07-13, 11:55 AM

Hye guy i manage to replace the IBM t42 FAn only :

read here how to replace fan only intead of the heat sink. It working :)

how to replace Fan only IBM t42

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete