01-03-2011

United States (Harvard, MA)

11 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 1 of 2

T43 video goes blank

2011-01-03, 18:31 PM

I have a couple of T43s, and the video goes blank on them, even though the computer itself seems to be running.  Wtih my wife's T43, sometimes the video comes back on .  Other times, she powers down, and then the video operates normally again for a while.  I have not yet done a lot of troubleshooting, but the cause would seem to be two possibilities: a failing inverter or something not quite right in hibernation.  I disabled hibernation in her laptop as a first step.  Second step might be to attach an external monitor and make both monitors active with Fn-F7.  If the LCD goes blank and the external monitor does not, then the problem would be the inverter, almost guaranteed.

Any other ideas?  Thank you... Ben

Options

1 Posts

01-06-2011

Murphy, TX

2 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: T42 video goes blank

2011-01-06, 8:44 AM

Hi,

I am having essentially the identical problem on my T42.

During boot up the screen is fine.

After what appears to be a flairly constant period of time the main LCD goes blank.

In Safe Mode it SEEMS to work longer, but it inevitably goes blank there too.

Actually, it is not entirely blank - if I look very closely, I can see windows etc but so faint I cannot manipulate them with certainty

External monitor works fine is if switch primary display to it.

I have heard rumors about "When the screen displays a pinkish color where it should be white - it means your display is going to die". That is precisely what I experienced for about 6 months before the 98% blanking started - pinkish color where there should be white.

Let me know if you find a reasonable solution - the second part of the above rumor is that the screen can be repaired but only at significant cost. My T42 is from 2004 and is now very slow due to bloatware - my laptop from work screams - and it has even more stuff loaded. 

Moderator edit by bananaman: Masked member's email address to prevent it from being scooped up by the SPAM crawlers. Please use the private Message (PM) feature instead. Click on the member's name>Send this user a private message.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete