Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-20-2009

Kansas City, MO

5 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 1 of 24

T43p not recognizing wireless adapter

2009-06-20, 21:41 PM
I have been trying for days to figure this out.  I reformatted my T43p & my wireless adapter just disappeared.  I have updated my BIOS amongst many other things.  My BIOS shows that it's switched on but there's nothing anywhere on the computer about it being inside.  The only things I have in my Device Manager with those little exclamation marks by them is in Other Devices & there's a Biometric Coprocessor & Network Controller.  Never was able to figure those out either but didn't think they would have anything to do with this problem with the Wireless I'm having.   PLEASE HELP!!
Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 2 of 24

Re: T43p not recognizing wireless adapter

2009-06-21, 4:49 AM

Welcome to the forum!

What's the 7-character model number of your T43p? 26??-???

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Views: 843
  • Message 3 of 24

2010-02-08, 19:09 PM

Why is no one at Lenovo addressing this problem!?  Or even replying to the numerous requests from users that are experiencing this issue of Network adaptors NOT being recognized in T43 ThinkPad’s running WindowsXP SP3?

My TP T43p 2687-DSU running WinXP SP3, for a long time now will not on most start-ups recognize my wireless adaptor (INTEL PRO wireless 2514 abg) and also many times in addition will NOT see or recognize the other network adaptors either....though they are listed in the "device manager" and reported as "functioning correctly".  The Windows Task Manager, under the "networking" tap will report "NO Network Adaptors Detected".  Access to the internet, or any network is impossible.

On the RARE occasion that a start-up of this T43p does succeed in detecting the network adaptors (that's as reported in the Device Manager") the ONLY functional ability to use the INTEL Pro-Wireless Adaptor, is via allowing Windows OS to control the use of the adaptor.(...detecting WIFI's etc.) and connecting to the internet.  The Access Connections and any of its related screens  fail to either recognize that the "radio" IS ALREADY TURNED ON and reports it being in the OFF state and will NOT turn it on or successfully see any networks available or connect to them and the internet.  Access Connections appears to be unable to see the adaptors correct MAC address, as it is missing form where it is normally reported.

ALL IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Drivers and Apps related to (or that can affect the functionality of) Access Connections and the Intel wireless adaptor, are up to date and in compliance with the requested updates as stated in the installation guide areas of the driver/apps downloads pages from the Lenovo Driver Matrix  website.

Every combination of un-install and re-install of these and any related drivers/programs has been attempted in every possible "known" combination WITHOUT success in resolving this issue.

IT MUST BE NOTED and taken into consideration that, this ThinkPad T43 is a very large and complicated configured system,  Any form of the "famous" or should I say "INFAMOUS...Oh well, you'll have to run F-disk and re-image" excuse the computer industry seems to exclusively rely upon when the going get a bit tuff; is really unrealistic, most undesirable, and simply unacceptable form the standpoint that:  1) That has already been most reluctantly done, with resulting unnecessary data loss and unrecoverable programs and configuration settings.  2) Additionally it requires somewhere on the order of 290 HOURs over approximately four(4) months attempting to get this system back to the state where once was...fully functional and prior to the above stated problem appearing and adversely affecting my ThinkPad.  F-disk and re-imaging DOES NOT fix this problem!!...You folks at Lenovo need desperately to GET THAT!  And find a reasonable fix that can be implemented WITHOUT destroying otherwise functioning systems.

AGAIN...Executing a running of F-disk and re-imaging HAS ALREADY BEEN ATTEMPTED!!!  Please read the above again, if necessary.

And in addition the Above stated problem, it also has affected the ability of the "Presentation Director" to function at all either.  The Presentation Director appears to install correctly, is listed in the appropriate start-up folders and is in the Program Files folder as would be expected.  But when I attempt to access or run the Presentation Director it will NOT start or open,...double clicking the icon(s) only results in an "hour glass"  showing on the screen and then disappearing in a second or less.  Here again uninstalls and reinstalls DO NOT correct this problem either.  AND,...Fn-F7 does NOT function, nor is it present in the Fn-F# listings found under the Display Properties, Setting, Advanced, On-Screen Display screen.

If any there at would be kind enough or even cares, I would appreciate aq communication or some kind of an "effective" and reliable posting (with a message to me as to where I might access it.)  So that I can finally resolve these issues. 

Respectfully,

Dennis Majkowski

user: dm2200

e-mail: [dm2200@att.net]

Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Message 4 of 24

2010-02-08, 20:08 PM

Hi Joel,

Below is a copy of a post that I left on the Lenovo forums website where you posted a message describing the very Thinkpad T43 issue that I have been dealing with for several months now, in addition to an issue (possibly related...a  non-functioning Hot-key: Fn-F7 and its related Presentation Director).

My question to you Joel, and possibly anybody that might see these forum-posts; have you ever gotten any kind of reply form Lenovo or other forum users/members regarding this issue?  The wireless adaptor and the Access Connections problems see to have appeared with the versions 5.12 or 5.21 updates for Access Connections that Lenovo posted late 2008 or early 2009. Or an update related to the wireless adaptors themselves of about the same time period.  Joel, which wireless adaptor is in your T43?  Mine is the INTEL PRO-Wireless 2514 abg adaptor.

My experience in dealing with Lenovo's Reps to date regarding this is just deplorable, in that they either just do not care about the issue (unless maybe you're handing over lots of $$$$ to them, something they should be ethically, if not morally as well, shouldering the responsibility for providing an effective fix WITHOUT seeking remuneration for it), or their overall level of technical competency regarding this type of issue and the related technology is simply very sorely lacking at Lenovo, so no one, at least form Lenovo ever posts a really truly effective fix for this type of issue on this forum.  If I am wrong, (though...really fat chance of that,) please send me a message if you can of post something here of the resolution that worked for you regarding non-recognized wireless adaptor.  Or where I might find an effective fix for the problem.  I would much appreciate any insight you might have to offer. 

Actually the challenge here is to Lenovo; how about!?  What is the fix for this problem(s)?...If you actually know.

Very Sincerely,

Dennis Majkowski

member/user: dm2200

e-mail: [dm2200@att.net]

MY ORIGINAL POST below:

Moderator note; quote of own post immediately above removed.

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

Slovakia

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 5 of 24

2010-02-08, 20:42 PM

dm2200, welcome to the forum,

this forum is not an official support channel, it's a peer to peer forum as you will have read in the rules before accepting to join.

"While members from Lenovo may participate at intervals to engage in the discussions and offer advice and suggestions, this forum is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel."

It seems Joekamel12 didn't feel a need to provide the information requested by ajkula66, a very highly respected and knowledgeable volunteer member of this community who has assisted a lot of members solve their problems. Did joekamel12 solve his problem on his own? - I guess we'll never know as they didn't come back.

If you are having difficulties; post in a structured manner which problems you are experiencing and which steps you have taken to try to resolve them unsuccessfully, this information will hopefully help members help you. If you are experiencing more than one problem you may consider starting a thread for each.

Regards

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Message 6 of 24

2010-02-08, 22:25 PM

Well...Andy,

I suppose, thanks for the reply.  I will say this it was quite prompt, if nothing else.

First, all the "hoops" and gymnastics one has to jump through just in the hopes that "Whatever it really is that Lenovo has created here" is going to possibly be of help, aid, assistance....what ever, to the end of Lenovo customers resolving difficulties they are going to inevitably encounter with their Lenovo (aka IBM) products. is really falling short of the mark.

All those what are supposed to be "set-up", configuration pages for a member's account...why?  Nobody ever thought, maybe keep it simple?  They are designed and created for the consummate computer NERD/GEEK whatever.  They defy simplicity and true user friendliness.  The search features (If one can figure out all the fandangled special terms for all those field that apparently have to have something in them...yes, even from the drop down choices...will ONLY produce a "UNexpected error message"!   Do the search engines really produce meaningful results?  Even for the partial listings that I was able eek out of one or two of the forum pages, all I got was Chaff...99.999 percent....Where were the results based on my actual (yes, again valid criteria) submitted?

Just where are these "correct forums" that my INDIVIDUAL threads are to submitted on?  I have seen NO "in reasonable sight" common sense easy to see links or URLs, to the supposed appropriate Forums to put my posts up on to; for seeking help with the difficulties I encountering with my (what is beginning to be the worst computer investment I have made to date) IBM ThinkPad product.

Maybe if this forum and all it related pages...whatever...actually functioned like most other networking forum sites,  You would not be the recipient for this particular form of feedback, and I would be quite happy to get my computer difficulties resolved in a reasonable manner along with spreading a really good word about my experience here to Lenovo's benefit (and yours if Lenovo is signing your, one assumes today...valuable, paycheck) to others I encounter personally and professionally.

My experience here so far, just as I have stated about Lenovov Support, in one of the posts submitted earlier, is again here too, deplorable. 

Again NOWHERE on this forum have I seen a way to access the so-called appropriate forum or support pages/links whatever that I have been roundly chastised for not using.

One last thing you may wish to consider here.  In a great many cases where a computer fails and cannot be readily and in a timely manner be fixed, so as to be back in operation doing the job for which it was purchased for...(actual business activity, linked to "livelihood etc.", ability to maintain business environment (like keeping customers etc.) there are significant amounts of stress going evidence itself as being present and probably building as time exacerbates the issue.  Hence frustration as you might detect here is something that maybe Lenovo and its support people at every level should be cognoscente of and sensitive to.  There are a lot of us that do not have jobs or very little to NO work at the moment, you obviously do as your colleagues there at Lenovo do, now I am wondering just how much that's really valued, considering our present times.

Lastly, how about a little effective help here.  Just what are these forum links/URLs etc.  If you will provide them I will make an attempt to use them (however, watch and see if I hold my breath) but we'll give it sa try.  Now I will be quite.

Looking forward to hearing from you Andy

Dennis

T43p-DSU XPsp3 

Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Views: 21182
  • Message 7 of 24

2010-02-09, 0:58 AM

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forum. :smileyhappy:

I can understand your frustration with your computer, I've been there myself for various reasons many times. (There's an old saying: "To err is human, but to really foul things up, requires a computer.") That said, it's important to realize that almost everyone in this forum (including Andy and me) is here on a volunteer basis. Lenovo doesn't pay us to be here, we're here because we like to (try to) help others with their computers. We've benefitted from others' help over the years, and this is one way we can repay the favor. But we're not miracle workers, nor do we have the answer to every question. The beauty of the forum is that it gives you an opportunity to have your problem seen by many pairs of eyes -- a few of which may be able and willing to help. I guess what I'm trying to say is: there's no guarantee you'll get an answer here, but there's a decent chance you'll get help. Particularly if you ask nicely, and explain your problem clearly. :smileywink:

With that out of the way...

I don't personally have the answer to making wireless work reliably on your T43p. (Hopefully others will help out.) But one thing I would suggest is to go to Control Panel: Add/Remove Programs and remove Access Connections (and do not re-install it). Then see if you can reliably establish a WiFi connection using the standard Windows controls (WiFi icon in the system tray).

Good luck,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 8 of 24

2010-02-09, 3:31 AM

@dm2200:

I completely agree with Frank (fmyhr) on removing Access Connections. Unless you have a specific need for maintaining half a dozen different profiles, you're likely better off with Windows managing your network IMHO.

Secondly, I've read a lot of complaints about SP3 messing up network connections on a variety of machines. That's one of the reasons that I've never installed it on any of my units that run XP. You can give removing that a shot as well if you're up for it.

Thirdly - and this is my opinion and experience only - Intel 2915 ABG is one of the most troublesome wireless cards I've ever come across. I've hated it in my Panasonics and removed it immediately from all of my ThinkPads that originally came with it. Intel 2200 BG or IBM (Atheros) abg II are much better in helping one maintain a stable connection regardless of operating syetem used. Fifteen bucks and fifteen minutes for a swap are not an unreasonable price to pay for a stable wireless connection, at least in my book.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Message 9 of 24

2010-02-11, 21:52 PM

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your reply.  I do appreciate the insights you provided in your message to me.

T43p problem simply stated:  Desperately needs effective and reliable fix!

>Wireless Adaptor not being recognized by Windows on majority of system start-ups.  Access Connections not always reporting wireless adapor's correct MAC address

>IBM T43p type 2687-DSU(also aka D5U)

>OS: WindowsXP SP3

>IBM applet/Progs. installed Access Connections v.5.33)

>Integrated Wireless adaptor: Intel-PROwireless 2514abg

>ALL subordinate drivers and IBM programs that the Intel Wireless Adaptor and Access Connections depend on for successful install and subsequent operation are installed to their current and highest revision levels.

>Majority of system start-ups, Windows does not recognize the wireless adaptor, or any network adaptors, as reported by the Task Manager, under the Networking Tab.  All network adaptors are reported in the Device Manager as being present, installed and functioning correctly, without conflicts. 

>One in 4 to 10 start-up attempts that is successful and the Windows OS starts and does recognize the wireless adaptor it is also most likely to recognize ALL installed network adaptors.  The windows control of the wireless adaptor when the wireless adaptor is configured for that scenario, will result in successful WiFi connection to gateways and internet etc.  IBM Access Connections may or may not (vast majority of time does not) see the correct MAC address of the wireless adaptor and therefore will not function to control access to any available gateway or on to the internet.

>Configuring the wireless adaptor for Access Connections to control the wireless adaptor does not successfully allow Access Connections to control the adaptor, but does result in removal of Window's ability to control the adaptor, and effectively removes former access to any accessible gateways and internet connection (This is recognized as by design, and can in most instance be reversed by disabling Access Connection's control of the wireless adaptor and reconfiguring the wireless adaptor for Windows control of it...thus access to available gateways and internet usually will return.

>Access Connections (or equivalent program) needed for effective control of various gateway environments. Removal of Access Connections NOT viable without effective replacement.

>Suggestions to "Run F-disk and re-imaging system", only demonstrate a profound lack of competence

in this field and technology.  THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN ATTEMPTED TWICE!...2-TIMES,  result....Problem keeps coming back!!!  Please do not suggest it....allow someone really with truely deep knowledge (if it actually exists) to hopefully offer their help.  

>Not sure what other information will or would be helpful here...

That said,  regarding your suggestion that I eliminate the Access connections from my machine, circumstances surrounding the environments in which I have to use this laptop pretty much preclude my simply eliminating it off the machine.  The laptop is in a "world" travel environment a significant amount of the time, and the types of access for WiFi gateways can be (and have been) a, b, g and various N protocols.  Also, my ability to maintain effect access to sites that are revisited/accessed necessitates the I have an application as Access Connections to manage all these.  The Windows control features is really quite ineffective and actually very poorly written and implemented...what else could you, would you expect form Microsoft these days.

To date I have seen no application like the Access Connections, as was or is provided by IBM/Lenovo that will be compatible or work effectively with the T43p as does the Access Connection program.

NOTE: There are instances when starting-up this T43p (even with Access Connections fully disabled, even removed) that Windows STILL will not recognize the presence of the Intel-Pro Wireless 2514 abg Adaptor, even though it is in fact present in the Device manager's listing and is being reported and as fully functional and without problems or conflicts.  This difficulty or lack of Windows NOT recognizing Network Adaptors is always detected: 1st. NO internet or network access; then 2nd. the Task Manager, under the Networking tab, reports either "NO networks adaptors found" or once in a while only the integrated Bluetooth Adaptor will be present. 

The problem never occurs while Windows is running, subsequent to a Windows "start-up" that did successfully recognize all networks adaptors.  This T43p typically requires anywhere from 3 to 10 start-up attempts (from last "good running session" and normal shut-down) to achieve a successful start-up and user-session where all network adaptors are recognized by Windows-OS and that Windows control of network access successfully connect to gateways and internet.  Access Connections may or may not see the correct Mac address of the wireless adaptor and may or may not be capable of taking over control of the wireless adaptor and thus again connecting to a gateway or internet.  Maybe 1 in twenty(30) start-up attempts will result in a completely successful load of the OS where Access Connections will appropriately and correctly control the wireless adaptor, where internet access is functional,...this functionality will be stable for the entire "user-session".  NOTE: attempts to create recovery points in the Rescue&Recovery feature DO NOT provide a way back to the previously successful start-up that did provide the completely working wireless adaptor recognition and network access via Access Connections or Windows control of the wireless adaptors.

I am never sure about how much detail I should be providing.  If I were to provide detail as complete as I could (keep in mind I have an engineering background...30+year), I would be attempting to post what is the equivalent of an engineering document or a technical manual.  I can do that, to make sure there is NOT one piece of maybe needed crucial information is missing to conduct a successful analysis laptop's problem.  My guess is, that most likely will be far too overwhelmed an approach, not to say that approach is impractical for obvious reasons.  My technical experience is in a different discipline/technology area; and what I would request is that some understanding, kind person with expertise in this realm please provide me with a good list of the specific technical details needed to aid in the diagnosis of the problem I am encountering.  My initial description was accurate, and my requested list of specifically needed details, will go a long way in giving this problem its refined needed definition.

Frank, I am desperate for effective help here,  I am not kidding about my previously posted comment regarding the value and worth of my initial and any other investment I have made in this machine or that of IBM/Lenovo.  Though my own professional work may be under extraordinary pressure these days, believe me I CANNOT is any form of good conscience and professional ethic, advise my clients or anyone else that indicate they are considering throwing even single "hard earned $" at this company or any of it's present or recent (past 6 years) products and services.  The present status of my T43p is a perfect "poster child" and hands-on..."touchy-feelie for yourself" example that validates very effectively, my entire criticism of IBM/Lenovo and my frustration with their product. for which they already have my hard-earned monies.  From every thing that I have experiences to date IBM/Lenovo have demonstrated repeatedly they have zero(0) interest in my remaining a satisfied customer of theirs, or my difficulties with their product.  In addition, Lenovo will have nothing to do with making this deplorable situation right with me. (Unless maybe I am will to hand over to Lenovo, many three figures($$$) of money, even maybe four($,$$$) figures cash, and still no assurance of an effective, reliable fix for this mess)..remember my earlier post regarding the infamous F-disk&re-image incompetence excuse the industry and profession uses exclusively when they find themselves in over their heads. 

Actually I have 5 year old grand-daughter (that I overheard) tell father one evening when he experienced a very minor computer glitch..."daddy you need to run F-Disk and re-image".  Her father did NO such thing and cured his computer difficulty in a reasonable, logical manner.  Now...some out there...really now, suggest I spend money for the privilege of having some supposed "computer expert"..you know "professional" (talk about pushing the envelope), tell me well..."Run F-disk and re-image" as the fix, for a wireless adaptor not being recognized in a given install of WindowsXP, and expect me to actually pay that person money for saying those words or phrase to me.  I am just not that stupid; but that's exactly what the Lenovo so-called technical support ???experts??? have to offer for this problem, to date at a price of over $200.  Only a person more profoundly retarded than a rock would into that advice or quality of service.

Again Frank, I believe you might understand my plight here, and thus reason for responses her being unfortunately rather lengthy as well as my frustration and anger, especially anyone who thinks getting in my face in any way, shape or form is justified, better have the b___s & backbone to actually be willing to step up this machine/problem I am describing and demonstrate the level of knowledge, skill and competency to be able fix it or be willing to share the effective and reliable fix before being in a position to take issue with what I have communicated on this forum so far.  I am certainly open to any reasonable, sane and logical approaches to a successful fix for my T43p laptop problem.

I will be rather surprised if that should per chance present itself....I WILL be most appreciative and thankful if it does, as well.

Frank, appreciate your tolerance and patience in hearing me out.

Dennis

member: dm2200

Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Message 10 of 24

2010-02-11, 22:44 PM

Hi George,

My profound thanks to you also for your response to my laptop wireless adaptor problem.

A number items were address in (yeah...lengthy response back to Frank's post above, responding to me), I don't wish take space restating all here again.  Please do take a moment to look at what I post there in further detail regarding in laptop issues.

I am not sure about removing SP3 form my current OS.  Won't the Windows update site continually pester me regarding getting installed so my Windows is fully up to date?  Will I be re-inviting security and functionality compromises as a result of what pretty much is a "down grade" to the my Windows OS?

Would such a move from SP3 back down to SP2 have a detrimental affect on any of the other software that is installed on this system?

I cannot help but think that a downgrade in service packs is a move one needs to be cautious about.  I simply cannot afford the pricey help of "so-called" experts at Microsoft and especially when I have yet to encounter one of them (in recent years) that can actually speak English proficiently enough that us in the Western World (especially the USA) can actually understand them.  (Sorry, I digress.)

I am however open to what you may have to say regarding the SP3 to SP2 point you suggested.

I am however greatly interested in the, what appears to be, possibility of changing out the my present Intel PRO-wireless adaptor for a different but compatible adaptor for this laptop.  If that kind of price and time is for real...I wish to know more, whatever you can share is appreciated.  I do need an integrated wireless adaptor that can cover abg and n WiFi in addition that might also handle WiMAX (if I have the term correct) as well as wireless BroadBand of some form, ie 3G-4G in GSM and CDMA radio technologies.

Yeah...I know I am asking a lot, especially on top of the underlying problem that brought me here.

However, if a different wireless adaptor could very well eliminate all this mess, I am open to investigating and possibility implementing it in order to finally get rid of this mess.

Sincerely,

Dennis

member: dm2200

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms