Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

02-04-2010

Iron Mountain,Michigan

125 Signins

1026 Page Views

• Views: 1026
  • Message 11 of 24

Re: T43p not recognizing wireless adapter

2010-02-11, 23:10 PM

Hi,

While I do not have the A/B/G wireless lan card (2915), i do have the B/G card. I do not understand why you are using Access Connection to control your wireless.

Why aren't you you using this wireless driver that is listed for your laptop? I would delete the Access Connection program and use the drivers listed on Lenovos site. This is the like to the driver:  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70480

If you try it and it works great. If it does not work I will see if I can come up with anymore Ideas...

MnR

Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Views: 843
  • Message 12 of 24

2010-02-12, 2:17 AM

Hello MnR,

I just read your response to my problem.  This is what I can share with you regarding that particular driver that you suggest, as it is likely an incorrect driver for my particulay WLAN adaptor; which is the Intel-PRO wireless 2514 abg WLAN adaptor hardware installed in this machine.

At one point where I had connectivity issue a few years back and this laptop was rather new and still under warranty; and those IBM boys over there were still obligated under warranty condition to speak to me and NOT at the same stroke fleece my pocket so sterile that an eye surgeon would be comfortable performing eye surgery in it.  (you can probably get the drift that IBM/Lenovo lost any respect I might have had for them, and are certainly at present incapable of earning even the least bit of any form of it back!.. , again I digress, sorry).  Anyway, during their attempt to help me resolve that particular connectivity issue it was discovered that I in fact installed on this machine a version of the driver you suggestAt least two tiers of support at that time questioned me as to why I had installed ,or as to how it was on my machine at allthey explained that the correct drivers for the specific hardware that came with my T43p 2687-DSU was the Intel Pro-wireless 2514 abg drivers that work in coordination with Access Connections.

My wireless adaptor is not listed as one that my WLAN hardware is intended to work with or be compatible, thus any presents of it was completely removed from this system back at that history point in this laptops lifeIt was ensured that the correct Intel wireless adaptor was installed and enabled along with Access ConnectionsThis configuration did in fact function well and reliably up until about 20 months ago when suddenly this retched problem first occurred.

Please if you would, provide me with more detail, for the reason or rational for using this driver, in light of its intended (published by Lenovo)WLAN adaptors, (which are not installed in this laptop).

Any other suggestion are most wecome, at least you are the first to come forward that you may have some other insights regarding my problem here.  I will not leave any stone un-turned so long as there is reason and logic to support it.

Respectfully,

Dennis

Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 13 of 24

2010-02-12, 4:40 AM

OK, let's try going about this another way...

There is no such thing as "Intel 2514" wireless card. What you have installed is 2915ABG. Any other Intel card apart from 2200BG (IBM version) would throw you a "1802 error" and prevent the machine from booting.

Now, is there any particular reason why you need Access Connections? How many profiles (wired/wireless/VPN) are you maintaining?

To answer your previous questions: I doubt that MS update site would bug you too much. None of my ThinkPads have SP3 installed, and I go and choose the updates that I want when I feel like it. Whenever I'm given the option to take SP3 I decline it. Then again, I don't update a lot because I don't really feel that I have to, but that's me.

As for my 15mins/15 bucks statement, I absolutely stand behind it. You can locate an IBM (Atheros) abg II or Intel 2200BG for $15 or thereabouts, and it should take you no more than 15 mins to swap it with HMM open on another computer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Views: 21182
  • Message 14 of 24

2010-02-12, 12:27 PM

Hi Dennis,

Here is a link to the Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) that George refers to:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-58791

Section 1120, p 99 has instructions for removing / installing the wireless card.

You could try removing and re-installing your existing 2915ABG wireless card. I think it's uncommon, but a bad/intermittent connection may have developed between the wireless card and its socket. Sometimes just removing the card and re-installing it can cure that.

Back to the HMM:

p. 203 begins the list of wireless cards (item no. 14) that are compatible with your T43p:

1. Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG (US), P/Ns: 39T0077 (contains lead) or 27K9932 (lead-free)
  2. Intel PRO Wireless 2915ABG (US), P/Ns: 93P4235 (contains lead) or 27K9936 (lead-free)
  3. ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN II (US), P/Ns: 39T0355 (lead-free)
  4. ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN (US), P/N: 39T0073

If you decide to replace your wireless card, I agree with George that option 3 above is probably your best choice.

One other thing you could try is to boot your ThinkPad from the PC Doctor DOS boot CD and run its tests on your hardware. All of tests (except maybe the long tests of your hard drive*) are a good idea, but I'm pretty sure there are some tests in there for your wireless card too.

* If your hard drive is on its last legs, running long tests on it can push it over the edge into failure. Make sure you're backed up before running such tests. Of course, you should regularly back up your data anyway.

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Message 15 of 24

2010-02-14, 23:46 PM

Hi George,

Again thanks for your insights and feedback.  And I do apologize...you are so right the correct description of my wireless card is and Intel PRO-Wireless 2915abg mini-PCI Adaptor.  No telling why 2514 somehow got stuck in my head,  (maybe from a time back when I did feature-work on what are now "ancient" 360/370 mainframe systems...the IBM2514 was a very common monitor...again why the number somehow stuck in my head for this Intel device, I probably never know).  Thanks for help in straightening that out.

My question then is: is there not an adaptor that would be compatible for my T43p, that wireless protocol: abgn or agn capable? I.e. the Intel WiFi-Link 4965 agn, and I believe that I have also seen some other version agn and abgn type wireless adaptors as listed in the ThinkPad driver matrix for the T43.  Protocols A, G, and N are what I am commonly encountering more and more these days.

Yes, my use of Access Connections (or at least an App. as complete or more so that does type functions)  is necessary, as I do maintain approximately 18 to 20 different acess profiles and do need to be able to either manually or automatically as the need or capability provides.

I suppose I may have to reconsider and try a removal of SP3 and hope it reverts back to SP2 successfully, if only to see if this problem clears up.  I am concerned about such action having unwanted or even unrecoverable consequences on other applications installed on this machine.  Any suggestions regarding a good , reliable cloning application(s) that will render a completely bootable and OSstart-up functional clone onto another hard disk?  It needs to be a perfect sector by sector clone of the entire disk, including boot sectors and master boot records etc.  That at least provides a disk to experiment on or use as a recovery resource.

Thanks,

Dennis

dm2200

TP43p-DSU

Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Message 16 of 24

2010-02-15, 0:25 AM

Hello Frank,

Yeah, that thought did occur to me at one point, however I did rather disregard my own hunch regarding the electrical connections between the adaptor and the mother board.  Only because the wireless adaptor reliably and always shows up listed in the Windows Device Manager and is reported as being installed and functioning correctly, without conflicts etc. as is the same case with any and all other network adaptors listed in the Device Manager.  Considering this I, up to this point, was a bit reluctant to be "tearing into" this machine; though I am quite willing and qualified to do so if necessary.  The detection issue of the Network adaptor(s) (the wireless adaptor specifically) is in and with the Windows Task Manager, under Networking: and it's either reporting "NO Network Adaptors Found", or only reporting the Bluetooth or Broadcom LAN adaptors.  There seems to be no difficulties using these adaptors what so ever so long as they are reported in the Task Manager under the Networking Tab.

Please explain to me if you will, if there is an electrical issue (though intermittent) would not the Device Manager under Windows pretty much be first to detect the problem and report it appropriately? Any good documentation on how this adaptor as well as Access Connections is supposed to function with WindowsXP, are there any specific diagnostics avaialable to aid in ruling out my hardware? 

I cannot help but wonder if the Windows OS is not seeing this adaptor because of a setting or a registry value that got upset some how?  How can I check or rule out these as being contributing to the problem?  Is there any way to verfiy the deatils of the adaptors install so to rule out something not getting properly installed or values setup correctly?  Does PC-Doctor actually have these types of diagnostics somewhere in the suite?  If so, I have yet to find them.

Bottom line here I guess, is that opening up the machine and performing a re-seating of the hardware into its connectors should be done and hopefully rule it out as the source of a/the problem.

Regards,

Dennis

dm2200

T43p-DSU 

Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 17 of 24

2010-02-15, 1:09 AM

There is no "n" capable adapter for T4x series, not officially. 3945/4965 Intel cards are mini-PCI-e format which is not supported in T4x units that run on standard mini-PCI cards.

Having said that, there are Atheros-based mini-PCI cards on the web that support the "n" format. However, these will trigger "1802 error" which is not bypassable with the standard hack on T43/p and R52 machines. You would actually need a modded BIOS to be able to use them.

I never clone anything, so I'm going to stay away from any recommendations in that respect.

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

1 Posts

02-16-2010

Los Angeles, CA

3 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 18 of 24

2010-02-16, 6:00 AM
I have a T43p 2669 with Windows XP SP3 and I am experiencing the exact same issue. I am very interested in this thread and I am willing to help supply any data to assist in a resolution.
Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Message 19 of 24

2010-02-16, 20:59 PM

Frank,

THe machine has now been opened, and the WLAN mini-adaptor was momentarily removed and all connectoring, now well inspected for related issues.  None found and the adaptor carefully re-installed.

Machine was then booted up and, did this boot-up, successfully recognized the WLAN adaptor by WindowsXP.  However, the only successful way for the system to connect to my access point and onto the internet is via Windows control of the WLAN adaptor.  Access Connection's attempts to connect appear to: 1st. step, "apply wireless settings" and checked-off with a green check mark as would be expected, and then, 2nd step, attempt to associate with the access point/wireless router and modem, where it hangs for about 10 seconds before returning the message "connection failed" and placing a red X next the "Waiting for association" listed just below the "Applying Wireless settings" message.

Clicking on the "Check Status" of the (square TVT) Access Connections icon in the system tray brings up/opens the Wireless Connections Status window with one tab: Wireless LAN.  Operating status of radio is displayed as "OFF" (even though the radio is actually turned on, i.e. green light bottom of screen frame is lit, and as reported via Device Manager and Task manager, in the "ON" state).  Access Connections via Fn+F5 key also reports radio as being in the "OFF" state.  Attempts to turn "ON" radio via either Fn+F5 or any of the Access Connection windows is unsuccessful nor does Access Connections see any of the available networks that are actually available or seen via Windows Controls of the WLAN adaptor. 

Powering the radio on or off via the Windows-Network Connection, under the "properties" of the Wireless Network Connections listing, does successfully control the ON/OFF status of the WLAN adaptor as evidenced by the green radio indicator being lit as appropriate, at the bottom of the LCD display frame.

Note:  THIS IS NOT the TVT Access Connections application.

IMPORTANT OBSERVATION REGARDING ACCESS CONNECTIONS:

The correct MAC address for the Intel Pro-Wireless 2915abg Adaptor as physically installed in the machine is: 00:12:F0:F0:59:E0,

1) The Device Manager reports this address as: 00:12:F0:F0:59:E0

Network Connections(under Windows) for Wireless Network Connection "properties" also reports the correct MAC address of: 00:12:F0:F0:59:E0

2) ThinkVantage - Access Connections program however reports an erroneous MAC address for this adaptor as F4:F8:62:01:D5:9D.  This erroneous reporting of MAC address will change value between system start-ups.  Access connection's "Repair this" is in-effective in correcting the issue.

3) All the profiles (and their settings) as listed in Access Connections on this machine are valid and at one time functioned without flaw of problem.  Those same profiles have been imported to another Thinkpad, running Access Connections, where they function without issue.

4) Reverting back two and three versions of Access Connections has had NO affect in resolution to this MAC addressing or radio power "On/Off" issues.

Any insight as to correct installation sequence (if any) between Intel WLAN drivers/software and Access Connections?  All other ThinkPad driver/software prerequisites are installed and up to date.

I am at an end as to what else to look at regarding this issue.

Dennis

member: dm2200

TP - T43p-DSU

Options

12 Posts

02-08-2010

USA

27 Signins

843 Page Views

• Message 20 of 24

2010-02-16, 21:14 PM

Hi austinrappa78,

What are the specifics of your WLAN recognition problem(s) in your ThinkPad?  You'll need to gather some specific information related to the circumstances present is your machine when the problem is present.  Read the thread as compiled to-date, it should give you an idea as to specifics you will need to post, so those able to render help have information to go on in analyzing your specific laptop/WLAN difficulties.

Good accurate details are vital to effective trouble shooting.

Cheers,

Dennis

mamber dm2200

TP T43p-DSU 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)