Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

09-17-2012

Vermont

10 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 4

T60 Battery Problems

2012-09-17, 14:00 PM
Having some trouble with getting my battery to charge. It is a genuine Lenovo battery and I just installed windows 7 pro and got the power management driver and software from site but it seems that it will say 2.5 hours until charge full then it will drop to an hour after a few minutes the battery gauge will get stuck at 16% for a while then it will say 100%. So I unplug and it and use it until it says about 91% then it shuts off and when I turn it back on its on 3% or so.
Any suggestions? And the battery only has 15 cycles
Options

7444 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29454 Signins

1685953 Page Views

• Views: 1685953
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: T60 Battery Problems

2012-09-17, 14:24 PM

'morning.

how old is the battery? there should be: mfg date and 1st used date under the battery info in Power Manager.

also, try setting custom some. charging thresholds, say 20 and 100%, under Battery Maintenance and see what happens.

regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

3 Posts

09-17-2012

Vermont

10 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 3 of 4

2012-09-17, 17:31 PM
shows That is was manufactured in late 2006 and first put into service in early 2007 it says that originally it is a 53wh and it is at 39wh now. I did set the thresholds but I don't believe it will make much of a difference. but I will see what happens.
Options

15 Posts

07-08-2012

United Kingdom

22 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 4 of 4

2012-09-18, 12:12 PM

It does seem that your battery in on its last legs...

I'd recommend getting a new one before it finally fails - I seem to remember that my T60 didn't boot once it considered the battery to had totally failed...

By doing a websearch I got a new Lenovo 40Y6799 5200mAh at less than half-price from a reputable UK reseller (yes you'll find that the part number on your battery is 'old' and has been replaced several times) and found on installation that it was less than 6 months old, so a real bargain!  This also meant that I avoided the problems some have encountered with Windows 7 due to their batteries not populating all the information fields accessed by Windows 7.

I would also advise looking at your power cable - the low voltage cable on mine was starting to break where it flexes just outside of the AC Adaptor.

Aside: One of the features in Power Manager that is really useful is the ability to set charging thresholds. From research I've set mine to a max. charge of 50% and a minimum of 20% as I have my T60 frequently attached to the mains, and research indicates that maintaining charge between these levels will help prolong the life of the battery (by preventing excessive heat and stress due to being fully charged and also to ensure that the battery is not likely to fully discharge during normal storage). Where I need a full charge I just let it charge in hibernate mode or powered off.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms