Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-30-2016

United States of America

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 1 of 3

T60 Questions

2016-09-30, 18:06 PM

Hello. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 that I would like to upgrade. I don't really have money to spend, but I do have a couple other laptops in the T-Series line that I can use for parts, consisting of a T61(not sure if p yet, have to check) and a T510. So, here come the questions.

What I really want to upgrade is my GPU. It's very sad that I cannot run simple games such as Minecraft, which require an OpenGL of 2.0+. I am aware that most GPU on laptops are soldered to the motherboard, so I thought "What if I could change the motherboard to that of the T61 or T510?" Is that possible? More importantly, if it is possible, will the GPU of either of those motherboards support OpenGL 2.0? I'll probably have more questions later, but I'd really like to know if I can just swap motherboards for a better GPU. Thanks!

Options

2253 Posts

01-02-2011

United States of America

8347 Signins

51782 Page Views

• Views: 51782
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T60 Questions

2016-10-16, 4:00 AM

wrote:

Hello. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60 that I would like to upgrade. I don't really have money to spend, but I do have a couple other laptops in the T-Series line that I can use for parts, consisting of a T61(not sure if p yet, have to check) and a T510. So, here come the questions.

What I really want to upgrade is my GPU. It's very sad that I cannot run simple games such as Minecraft, which require an OpenGL of 2.0+. I am aware that most GPU on laptops are soldered to the motherboard, so I thought "What if I could change the motherboard to that of the T61 or T510?" Is that possible? More importantly, if it is possible, will the GPU of either of those motherboards support OpenGL 2.0? I'll probably have more questions later, but I'd really like to know if I can just swap motherboards for a better GPU. Thanks!

Yes, you can upgrade the T60. One of the most popular customized thinkpads ever made is the T60 Frankenpad, often referred to as a T601, or a T601F (F is for Frankenpad), which consists of a T60 or T60p with a T60 motherboard. If you have the 15" or 14.1" T60 you'll need a motherboard for a T61 STANDARD screen model, and if you want the more powerful nVidia graphics be careful because all the T61 units built before August 2008, which unfortunately includes ALL of the standard screen models, had a defective GPU design which caused a fatal error after repeated reboots, but there is still a small quantity of brand new replacement boards that have been set aside and only available to thinkpad enthousiests, and for a very reasonable price. We believe these are the only remaining boards left, or you can take your chances with a used or refurbished board, or you could use a board with Intel graphics which does support openGL2, and is a good option, but if your plans are for gaming, then I'd recommend getting one of these new NOS boards while they are still available, and if your T60 is 15" you can also take advantage of the amazing IPS flexview screens. 

There are some minor frame modifications needed to retrofit the T61 board, but it's very easy and I could supply you with some illustrated photos if you are considering this.

If you have a widescreen T60, then you'd need a different widescreen T61 board, and there is no way to retrofit a T510 board into a T60, they aren't even close.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Options

12 Posts

07-02-2015

Croatia

29 Signins

225 Page Views

• Views: 225
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T60 Questions

2016-11-07, 16:37 PM
T61 & T60 use different processors with different FSB
Also, they use different GPUs on them, depending on the purchase. check here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T61

So many parts can't be interchangeable. Only full MBO transfer f it fits?!

WCG signature
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms