03-06-2013

Canada

8 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 1 of 9

T60 - Replacement Keyboard Questions

2013-03-06, 2:45 AM

I have a ThinkPad T60 Type 8744 15 inch screen. 

I have to replace the entire keyboard as some keys have broken off and cannot be put back on.  Let's just say one of the cats had a little too much fun the other day.  When I looked up the specs on the parts there are three (3) different manufacturers with different part numbers.  They are:

ALPS - 39T7118

Chicony - 39T7178

HMS - 39T0958

I need to find out if it matters which manufacturer or part number I use to find a replacement keyboard for the machine?  If so then would I have to pull the machine apart first and see if the current keyboard has a manufacturer stamp/label on the back? Or does it not matter and any of the three manufacturers and part numbers will work on the machine?

It appears that I am basically only able to find a replacement keyboard on eBay.  Does anyone have any recommendations for me?  I need to move fairly quickly on this as I need the machine daily.  Any and all help and/or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Options

3053 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12216 Signins

175758 Page Views

• Views: 175758
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: T60 - Replacement Keyboard Questions

2013-03-06, 3:50 AM

Lenovo buys their keyboards from a number of different makers. Assuming all three of the above are the correct part number for your T60 model then yes, they'll all work.

There are subtle differences in feel among these makes. If that's important to you then yes, I'd suggest you pull the keyboard you have and determine which part number it is, then order that one.

Perhaps someone else can recommend a "preferred" keyboard maker. I don't want to get into that debate ;)

Have you considered using an external keyboard while you wait for the replacement? (Maybe you need portability.)

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

126 Posts

05-09-2008

Germany, Stuttgart

367 Signins

2012 Page Views

• Views: 2012
  • Message 3 of 9

2013-03-06, 9:44 AM
off topic, sorry, I could not help it:

might it be a good idea to replace the cat as well ? ....

I could use just the " ; " key from your broken keyboard, one of my systems suffered during travel ...
W500 / T61p / T61 / R60
Options

278 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Views: 62458
  • Message 4 of 9

2013-03-06, 20:42 PM

wrote:

I have a ThinkPad T60 Type 8744 15 inch screen. 

I have to replace the entire keyboard as some keys have broken off and cannot be put back on.  Let's just say one of the cats had a little too much fun the other day.  When I looked up the specs on the parts there are three (3) different manufacturers with different part numbers.  They are:

ALPS - 39T7118

Chicony - 39T7178

HMS - 39T0958

I need to find out if it matters which manufacturer or part number I use to find a replacement keyboard for the machine?  If so then would I have to pull the machine apart first and see if the current keyboard has a manufacturer stamp/label on the back? Or does it not matter and any of the three manufacturers and part numbers will work on the machine?

It appears that I am basically only able to find a replacement keyboard on eBay.  Does anyone have any recommendations for me?  I need to move fairly quickly on this as I need the machine daily.  Any and all help and/or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the Forum!

A few quick pointers about keyboards;

- All T60 models (whether 14.1"/15.0" standard or 15.4" widescreen) take the same keyboard. As you discovered, I.B.M./ Lenovo has three different FRU's for U.S. English keyboards based on different manufacturers (Alps, Chicony or NMB). They also have many other FRU's for different languages: Keyboard service parts - ThinkPad T60, T60p.  Any T60 keyboard from any of the three manufacturers will work in your machine.

- Many people (including myself) feel the NMB keyboard (with the famous blue bumpers) provides a more solid feel and pleasurable typing experience. The T60 keyboards, whether Alps, Chicony or NMB, were all good quality and all three manufacturers deserve 5 stars. However, NMB deserves 5 and a half stars! Most people will not notice a great difference between the three. But for someone like me, who, as an educator, does a lot of creative writing/ typing in of MS Word documents, I appreciate the slight edge the NMB keyboard provides.

- The following models all use the same keyboard: T60 T60p T61 T61p Z60 Z61 R60 R60e R60i R61 R61e R61i R400 R500 T400 T500 W500 W700 W700ds and therefore introduce dozens of other keyboard FRU part numbers which you can use to assist your search. However, if you simply do a search for "T60 keyboard" you will find plenty to choose from. Also bear in mind that while keyboards from T400, T500, W500 will fit perfectly, they were designed with a slightly thinner backplate and some people report keyboard flex and a lack of solid typing experience. Therefore you should avoid those if, like me, you have strong hands and do a lot of typing.

- "Caveat emptor"- let the buyer beware shopping on Ebay for used keyboards. Many keyboards have not been fully tested, Space bar, Left shift and other frequently used keys may be sticky, or the keyboard may have suffered water damage and is being sold very cheaply (looks nice cosmetically but produces electronic glitches). Many Ebay sellers list FRU part numbers in their title to get their listing to come up when you do a search,  but will send you whatever KB they have on hand. This is useful to know if you're looking for an NMB KB specifically. Ask the seller exactly what FRU P/N is printed on the back of the KB they are sending you.

- Do not replace the cat, just the keyboard. Cats are the best buddies.:smileyhappy: Just train the cat a little better. My kitty has never eaten keys from my keyboards (and I have dozens of laptops lying around all over my house from projects I'm working on. One time she did step right on top of a beautiful UXGA Flexview T60 lid and this chubby cat caused the formerly spotless screen to press onto the keyboard and develop KB marks. :smileysurprised: At that time I did consider shipping her off to Siberia but decided to keep her and just protect my UXGA screens a little better.

---> If you need a Brand New or used Lenovo keyboard for your T60, I have all types available including the NMB. I have sent you a PM with more info. Check your 'New' messages at the top of this page. :)   

2 Posts

03-06-2013

Canada

8 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 5 of 9

2013-03-07, 17:31 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies.  It is what I was thinking but just needed to make sure before looking further into purchasing the keyboard.

As for the cat let's just say that I have way more $$$ invested in him than in the computer hardware after emergency surgery this past fall.  So he is not going anywhere.............. except in my dreams of being drop kicked sometimes.  HaHaHa

Options

2226 Posts

01-02-2011

US

8339 Signins

51747 Page Views

• Views: 51747
  • Message 6 of 9

2013-03-08, 3:43 AM

I have a few extra keyboards in my spare parts box, if you want you can send me a PM and I'll see if I can help, however I'm in usa and you might be better finding one in canada, shipping would be cheaper. 

Good luck.

ps. any keyboard from T/R/Z series 60/61 or T/R/W series 400/500 will work on your T60

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Options

278 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2013-03-10, 0:39 AM

Here is a step-by-step T60 keyboard installation guide for anyone who may be reading this thread: Keyboard removal and installation - ThinkPad T60, T60p  (Includes link to video)

1 Posts

09-07-2014

Raleigh, NC

1 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 8 of 9

2014-09-07, 18:34 PM

Hello - read your thoughtful reply to earlier post and would like to take you up on availability of new/used keyboard for my T60 -- Based on what I read, the NMB is not available except as rebranded other. That leaves the ALPS which is supposed to be a close second. Before I learned the difference, I purchased one for about $18 including shipping - what a dud and not even close to the reason I went to Thinkpad about 7 years ago. It must have been a Chicony best I can tell from the discussions. Thanks again - 

Options

278 Posts

12-15-2012

US

1091 Signins

62458 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2014-09-08, 3:31 AM

wrote:

Hello - read your thoughtful reply to earlier post and would like to take you up on availability of new/used keyboard for my T60 -- Based on what I read, the NMB is not available except as rebranded other. That leaves the ALPS which is supposed to be a close second. Before I learned the difference, I purchased one for about $18 including shipping - what a dud and not even close to the reason I went to Thinkpad about 7 years ago. It must have been a Chicony best I can tell from the discussions. Thanks again - 

Hi IRGuy, if your'e referring to me (Anastasios), yes, I still have some NEW and a few used, like-new (very light signs of wear) condition T60 series keyboards available.

Yes, Alps are excellent make no mistake about it. As a matter of fact all three makers (Alps, Chicony, and NMB) produced good-quality keyboards for T60 (... pity to see poor design/ quality of newest Thinkpad model keyboards). Most people agree that Alps and NMB are definitely superior to Chicony. Some people prefer the feel of the Alps while others (including myself) prefer NMB. I believe you are correct- they may no longer be manufacturing actual NMB version. As you probably found, there are a few e-bay Hong Kong and Chinese sellers offering brand new T60 keyboards but, guess what, it's the Chicony version, although they reference NMB or Alps FRU/ part numbers in their listings. That's why I warn people to be careful buying on e-(vil)-bay. Message the seller and ask them the actual FRU part number printed on the back of the keyboard.

I have a few, original NMB keyboards I have collected which are in excellent used condition/ even a couple in MINT or near-MINT condition with very light signs of wear. I will send you a PM in a few minutes. You may read my message by clicking the envelope icon in the upper right of your screen.

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete