Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

61 Posts

02-20-2008

Orange County, CA

63 Signins

701 Page Views

• Views: 701
  • Message 1 of 2

T61 Fan Issue: Spins up silently at POST, then never again...

2012-10-25, 15:03 PM

All,

Any thoughts on what's happening here?

I have a T61 with a 15.4" screen and the Intel video subsystem. After about 10 minutes of operation in Windows, the system shuts down, and after my wife brought this to my attention, I observed that there's no airflow coming out of the cooling vents, and the bottom of the computer is very very warm. Dead fan, right?

So I open the T61 up, leaving the trackpad and keyboard connected, and power it on, hoping to verify a bad/noisy/clogged fan. Well, the fan spins up at POST, and it does so silently and freely, and after a few seconds it spins back down, never to spin up again.

There is no FAN ERROR error message on the screen at POST either.

This seems like more of a fan controller issue than an actual fan issue.

Anyone have any tips or thoughts?

My gut reaction is that simply replacing the fan is going to result in the new fan doing the exact same thing, but perhaps someone can set me straight or share their similar experiences here with me.

Thanks,

Warr

Answer
Options

2598 Posts

03-19-2009

Germany

5614 Signins

73478 Page Views

• Views: 73478

Betreff: T61 Fan Issue: Spins up silently at POST, then never again...

2012-10-26, 8:56 AM

Spin down of the fan after POST is normal, but it should turn on again while or after booting.

Please check the fan-ribs, whether they are blocked by dust. Block the fan propeller with a match or tooth-pick and blow compressed air from outside through the ribs into the heat-sink.

You also should have a look under the heat-sink and replace the thermal grease on the CPU by new one. You can leave the thermal pads if they are not damaged.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

2598 Posts

03-19-2009

Germany

5614 Signins

73478 Page Views

• Views: 73478
  • Message 2 of 2

Betreff: T61 Fan Issue: Spins up silently at POST, then never again...

2012-10-26, 8:56 AM

Spin down of the fan after POST is normal, but it should turn on again while or after booting.

Please check the fan-ribs, whether they are blocked by dust. Block the fan propeller with a match or tooth-pick and blow compressed air from outside through the ribs into the heat-sink.

You also should have a look under the heat-sink and replace the thermal grease on the CPU by new one. You can leave the thermal pads if they are not damaged.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms