Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

05-13-2013

USA

2 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 1 of 4

T61 - How similar are models to each other for swapping parts purposes?

2013-05-13, 4:34 AM

The gpu on my T61 7663-Y1C is failing. I just bought a bunch of replacement parts for it -- new heatsink, new palmrest, etc. I don't think I'm up to replacing the motherboard on this machine so I want to buy a different T61. I see some other 7663s for sale but none that have my exact MPN. I would like to swap my harddrive into the new computer and not run into driver errors and also use my current machine for parts in the future. So my question is: can I switch parts between my T61 and all others, or justt between T61 7663s, or just between T61 7663-Y1Cs without messing up my OS?

Options

1 Posts

05-13-2013

Czech Republic

1 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: T61 - How similar are models to each other for swapping parts purposes?

2013-05-13, 10:08 AM

Hi M_22,

That's a pretty general question. Talking about HDD and RAM, you can swap them between all compatible devices, even outside Lenovo / IBM noteboks. Multi / ultra bay keyboard, trackpoint etc. - feel free to swap them back and forth between compatible Lenovo notebooks (the 60s family in general). With graphics, motherboard, screen etc. you must be cautious - some T61s would be compatible with one another, some not...

With the drivers - HDD and RAM, keyboard etc. shouldn't have any issues (max. the driver will install it's self). With graphics, Motherboard etc. - have no idea...

I have had R61 15.4" and the graphic chip died after cca 4 yrs. I bought a refurbished T61 14.1" and swapped HDD, RAM, keyboard and runs just fine. Multibay wasn't compatible. Have not reinstalled the system (well, I have, but 1/2 year after :-). No driver issues what so ever...

GL

Options

3 Posts

05-13-2013

USA

2 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 3 of 4

2013-05-13, 13:31 PM

OK, thanks for the info. I was mainly wondering if there were some general rules about this. I appreciate it!

Options

146 Posts

05-09-2008

Germany, Stuttgart

367 Signins

2012 Page Views

• Views: 2012
  • Message 4 of 4

2013-05-13, 14:09 PM

Hi.

If you follow some of the threads in this forum (and others on the Internet) you'll find out that (skilled) people have built or re-built models of notebooks even with parts from different models or generations. In our particular case - the so-called Frankenpads.

Usually, but not always or exclusively, it's a matter of case assembly = the motherboard has to fit inside. The rest of the pieces is a matter of standards (CPUs have standard sockets - you probably know that, HDDs or SSDs are 2,5 inch - either older PATA or newer SATA interfaces, SODIMMs - depending on notebook generation and chipset support, internal cards like wifi, modem etc. - usually these days mini pci-e). This is all internal ...

Once you mode to the "outside" - it's a matter of generation and model compatibility (14.1" models or 15.4" models) and so on ...

I believe that what you would find helpful would be the S/N. Once you need a keyboard for example, search its S/N and then you'll get to what other models that piece is compatible with ...

Good luck ;)

W500 / T61p / T61 / R60
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms