Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

06-05-2010

Trinidad

16 Signins

111 Page Views

• Views: 111
  • Message 101 of 638

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

2010-06-08, 21:34 PM

Appreciate your reply, Mark.

And yours too, previously, Lead.

Options

14 Posts

04-02-2008

Bucharest

515 Signins

283 Page Views

• Views: 283
  • Message 102 of 638

2010-06-10, 15:10 PM

Already have that problem, I've contacted the Romanian Official Service Center, they've replaced the MB in 10 days.. Laptop still in warranty until august 2010.

i will good luck to all of you ! 

Cheers,

Dan.

Options

4 Posts

04-11-2010

McLean, VA

29 Signins

179 Page Views

• Views: 179
  • Message 103 of 638

2010-06-13, 17:20 PM

A little follow up to my story - similar to most of you guys as far as the start goes.

Thanks to Mark they took my computer in and changed the MB.

They returned the laptop to me, but when I tried playing a movie on an external display the computer would crash without any warning (have to remove battery, unplug computer to get it to restart).

Sent the computer back.

After ONE MONTH of back and forth bw me and assistance (who pretended the problem was not reproducible) sent the computer back to me without any changes.

At this point it had been about 2 months without a computer for me, so I went ahead and bought a Mac, planning on reselling the Lenovo laptop on eBay.

During my restore of the Lenovo laptop to factory settings, the computer crashed about 5 times (this time there was no external display involved). It's so bad I'm not sure I can even put this on eBay....

I wasted enough time and money on Lenovo.

See you never - and yes, to all of you customers out there, I recommend the same approach: an easy life is a life without a Lenovo computer. There are dozens of options out there, a lot are cheaper with better service, some more expensive, but again, with a better service or hardware than what Lenovo has to offer.

I do acknowledge all the hard work Mark is putting out there, but such a company cannot depend on only one man to do a good job.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 104 of 638

2010-06-14, 4:14 AM

wrote:

A little follow up to my story - similar to most of you guys as far as the start goes.

Thanks to Mark they took my computer in and changed the MB.

They returned the laptop to me, but when I tried playing a movie on an external display the computer would crash without any warning (have to remove battery, unplug computer to get it to restart).

Sent the computer back.

After ONE MONTH of back and forth bw me and assistance (who pretended the problem was not reproducible) sent the computer back to me without any changes.

At this point it had been about 2 months without a computer for me, so I went ahead and bought a Mac, planning on reselling the Lenovo laptop on eBay.

During my restore of the Lenovo laptop to factory settings, the computer crashed about 5 times (this time there was no external display involved). It's so bad I'm not sure I can even put this on eBay....

I wasted enough time and money on Lenovo.

See you never - and yes, to all of you customers out there, I recommend the same approach: an easy life is a life without a Lenovo computer. There are dozens of options out there, a lot are cheaper with better service, some more expensive, but again, with a better service or hardware than what Lenovo has to offer.

I do acknowledge all the hard work Mark is putting out there, but such a company cannot depend on only one man to do a good job.

The repair is done by depot and not through Lenovo directly, and the phone rep is only telling you what the depot technician wrote and report from their side. 

Furthermore, the Nvidia GPU problem is not a problem that is confined to Lenovo, if you bought a HP or Dell that had the same chipset, there would also be a similar problem.

But, there should be a clear resolution of the hardware problem. So how many times did the motherboard get replaced?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

4 Posts

04-11-2010

McLean, VA

29 Signins

179 Page Views

• Views: 179
  • Message 105 of 638

2010-06-16, 3:42 AM

Hey lead_org,

I understand a third party is doing the repairs. Still, if you buy a Mercedes you expect two things:

1. High quality of new product (ie if it breaks you REALLY aren't lucky)

2. High customer support (ie if it breaks, it's fixed for good and it's fixed fast).

Doesn't matter which garage fixes it. The brand has to make sure the affiliated support center have qualified personnel AND use valid replacement parts.

I think the issue here is that Lenovo is "sponsoring" support centers to use old refurbished replacement parts. In this case, I was the lucky recipient of a garbage motherboard.

On top of that the support center managed to keep my computer for a month without finding the issue even once. In less than a day I put it down 7 times. Maybe I should sell it to them on eBay :-D

I understand what you're trying to say but I still disagree. If you want to be seen as top notch you behave like a top notch company. And that includes associating with good partners.

That being said I'm gonna leave the country in less than a month so given my past experience with them I'm fried. In my humble opinion, 2.5 years of life expectancy for a $1700 laptop (with rebates!!!) is not acceptable.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 106 of 638

2010-06-16, 5:10 AM

i don't think there is any new motherboard, this is an industry standard practice (Dell and HP all do it). But certainly the refurb parts should pass the quality check necessary for it to be used as a replacement part.

Regards,

Jin Li

Options

1 Posts

06-16-2010

San Carlos, CA

5 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 107 of 638

2010-06-16, 19:09 PM

Thanks Mark!  That totally worked!  Lenovo is sending me a RMA box today and replacing the motherboard free of charge even though the T61 warranty expired last month.  Boy, you can beat that with a stick!

Options

1 Posts

06-26-2010

Honolulu, HI

8 Signins

157 Page Views

• Views: 157
  • Message 108 of 638

2010-06-27, 0:20 AM

I wanted to give my thanks as well to Mark and the support/service personnel. My T61 (purchased June 2007) started failing last year due to the infamous Nvidia GPU garbled display problem. Since word on the net at the time was that this problem was never officially acknowledged by Lenovo as a covered defect, I decided I wasn't going to waste time trying to fight them to get it fixed under an expired warranty as I had other notebooks I could use. Thus, I shelved the unit and decided I wasn't going to consider Lenovo for future business.

Then, by chance, a few weeks ago I came across this thread and decided to give support a call (mentioning what Mark said). Sure enough, they took care of me and I now have my T61 back in full working order. The phone support person was friendly and the service was quick (repaired and shipped back the same day).

So, thanks again. You've earned back my trust as a customer for future business.

I guess the only thing I'm wondering is what exactly was changed on the new motherboard. The packing slip said the motherboard was changed due to an engineering design change. Is this a change on the GPU made by Nvidia (to presumably permanently fix the issue)? Or, is this a change in the cooling system implemented by Lenovo to significantly reduce the likelihood of future failure? Either way, I'm satisified with the outcome, if only because of the principle of the matter that Lenovo is taking ownership of the issue now.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 109 of 638

2010-07-01, 14:32 PM

wrote:

I wanted to give my thanks as well to Mark and the support/service personnel. My T61 (purchased June 2007) started failing last year due to the infamous Nvidia GPU garbled display problem. Since word on the net at the time was that this problem was never officially acknowledged by Lenovo as a covered defect, I decided I wasn't going to waste time trying to fight them to get it fixed under an expired warranty as I had other notebooks I could use. Thus, I shelved the unit and decided I wasn't going to consider Lenovo for future business.

Then, by chance, a few weeks ago I came across this thread and decided to give support a call (mentioning what Mark said). Sure enough, they took care of me and I now have my T61 back in full working order. The phone support person was friendly and the service was quick (repaired and shipped back the same day).

So, thanks again. You've earned back my trust as a customer for future business.

I guess the only thing I'm wondering is what exactly was changed on the new motherboard. The packing slip said the motherboard was changed due to an engineering design change. Is this a change on the GPU made by Nvidia (to presumably permanently fix the issue)? Or, is this a change in the cooling system implemented by Lenovo to significantly reduce the likelihood of future failure? Either way, I'm satisified with the outcome, if only because of the principle of the matter that Lenovo is taking ownership of the issue now.

There is different GPU. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Options

1 Posts

06-26-2010

Vermont

72 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 110 of 638

2010-07-02, 3:01 AM

Support keeps telling me that the laptop is out of warranty so there's nothing they can do about it, even though I mention the forum thread here and the specifc case, and the fact that others seem to be having no problem getting service with their out of warranty parts.

I sent a pm to Mark. Hoping I can get some sort of help : \

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms