Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

08-16-2010

Tokyo. Manchester. Bangalore

1 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 141 of 638

Re: T61 Invalid Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

2010-08-16, 13:40 PM

Mark,

Interested to happen across your post today, I bought a pair of T61s in early 2008 both with a three-year warranty with I was told IWS. The NVDIA GPU went twice on my machine within 1 year. My wife's machine is still functioning.

A machine failure (garbled screen, finally blank and then the customary bleeps) was fixed by Lenovo Bangalore after I went through the usual procedures of obtaining a service No. From customer support in Bangalore, etc and taking the machine into the service center. The motherboard was replaced; and upon collecting the machine I  had a chat with one of the engineers, who informed me that although the board is brand new, it is the same model, so don't hold your breath because they the embedded GPUs are failing every day.. Sure enough, a few months later the machine failed again. I called Lenovo (Bangalore) again,  and was informed rather promptly over the phone that the machine was out of warranty. I explained that the machine had close on two years warranty to go ( extended warranty was part of the purchase cost from the reseller) and they rephrased their stance stating the machine was not covered by IWS. I insisted that it was and had been repaired once already. Nothing doing. I removed the hard drive and moved it across to my T60.

I travel extensively due to the nature of my job, and upon arrival in Tokyo called customer support and was told to send in the machine, which I did. They returned it with an estimate repair cost of around 1,400 US. I called and they said that the fault was not covered by warranty.

I recommended Thinkpads, despite the cost, to some firms over the years after switching from HP. I believe the first "real" Thinkpad I bought at over 2,000 US was a 300 then a 560 etc; and i have until quite recently and for over 10 years had nothing but great engineering and service. I work for a large international law firm, that shall remain nameless, and they bought a batch of X 32s around 4 years ago, one of which I was given as a carry around machine. ( I recommended them on the basis of the X20 and X21 that I had bought and used previously -  tehy do still both function albeit mostly as internet radios these days but without any problems with critical components.) The essentially new X32 had a fan failure, as did another within the space of around one month of each other (Note here:  I had had the same problem with the T60 and with each of the T61s - the fan on the T60 was replaced under warranty in either the UK or Japan, don't have the details - )and so I was somewhat amazed (along with the SE people at the firm) when the X32  was returned by Lenovo with a "fault not covered by warranty notice." I didn't want to push too hard because I did not personally buy the machine - tue firm bought it and a lot of others - but I did request the carcass, took the keyboard off, tightened the screws on the fan housing - didn't even put any extra heat-sink paste on the fitting, and the machine has worked wtihout any problem ever since. It is in use as a minor backup machine now. 

So back to the T61. I did buy the machine and so I did push - against a brick wall. I was asked by the Lenovo support people in Tokyo to send it back in and on this one very special exceptional occasion they would take another look at it. They did, and they returned it with a "liquid spillage damage - not covered by warranty" notice after a week or so, along with  some very low resolution mobile phone photos (undated - very unusual for Japan) of the under side of some motherboard or other with some white streaks on it. Suprisingly, or not, there was no means of identifying the board since all due care had been taken not to include a single numeral of any kind that could be used to ID the board. So, I called Lenovo "customer support" (Tokyo) and told them I'd been sent fuzzy mobile phone photos of an unidentifiable motherboard - under side - with heat sink paste stains on it. They said, that's your board and those are beer spill stains. I gagged, and they qualified "beer" with "beverage, looks like beer" had been spilt in my machine; if not by me by someone else. No one but no one has access to it since it has highly confidential work information on it. After protesting long enough to put my BP up, I gave up on the entire idea of Lenovo customer support and pride in engineering. Admittedly, IBM were not making a profit from their PC sector when they sold it to Lenovo, but a lot of people were very happy with the machines, and if they had cut costs by cutting margins and not quality and lowering their prices, they may even have made a profit some day.  

In the meantime the fan went on my wife's T61 and so we had it replaced under warranty but not covered by warranty at a cost of around 200 dollars. 

I then got interested in the Lenovo's beer stained motherboard picutures again and so i took the board the blessed thing apart to check for myself. Nothing to lose I decided, since Lenovo had/have a problem with warranties, and no beer or "other beverage stains." I have the machine on my desk as I type this on the T60.

I knew about the possible problem with the NVDIA GPUs with the T61s - I heard it from the engineer's mouth, so to speak. And now I see that some people on this forum have had the good sense not to give up; and that the NVDIA GPU problem has hung over the company and is now starting to give Lenovo a hang over - and my bet now is that if a class action goes ahead against NVDIA then it would be better for Lenovo to start acting like a company of high end equipment manufacturers supplying goods on which work is done rather than as a toy factory and start settling the problems wtih the machines they are still selling at their outlet, same board, same chips before they become a intergral part of the problem that NVDIA faces rather than sensibly distancing themselves from it.  

Er, my machine (T61) remains in warranty. 

I spent close on 4,000 US and countess hours of futile and frustrating conversations with Lenovo "support staf over this pair of T61s post X32 fiasco. Had I not been sent fuzzy photos of soeme beer/beverage stained motheboard, I guess I would have tried the service in the UK. But then who wants to carry junk around the world. The cost of replacing the board is not economic. Maybe I will bake the board when the warranty finally expires.

Still, I will now do a search on the class action against NVDIA and see what the situation is there. In the mean time if you have any advice from a very loyal Thinkpad user and owner, I would be grateful to receive it.

The saga described above will be documented on the service report servers at Lenovo. Although I doubt that they have kept the mobile pics - I have.

Best regards,

tec-ec

Options

14 Posts

07-26-2010

United States of America

113 Signins

449 Page Views

• Views: 449
  • Message 142 of 638

Re: T61 Invalid Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

2010-08-16, 22:09 PM

Can I remove my HD and RAM before sending my laptop to USA for repair?

Options

5 Posts

06-25-2009

seattle, wa

82 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 143 of 638

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

2010-08-17, 2:29 AM
Ditto. No reply from Mark, I get no help from Lenovo support (they stonewall me).

I'm pretty disgusted.

Guess what happens now? When someone asks about laptops in forums, or at work, I just tell them what happened to my wife's laptop and how miserable Lenovo support was. I'm starting to see some non-Lenovo laptops at work (my manager has an HP). I had our admin buy an Acer for a new hire.

It's not like I control a humongous budget. But I have /some/ influence. I'm not going to be a jerk about it, but I do let people know my experience.

Good luck with your dead T61s. Ours will gather dust in the garage until I finally throw it out or sell it on eBay. Meh.
Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 144 of 638

2010-08-17, 8:02 AM

wrote:
Ditto. No reply from Mark, I get no help from Lenovo support (they stonewall me).

I'm pretty disgusted.

Guess what happens now? When someone asks about laptops in forums, or at work, I just tell them what happened to my wife's laptop and how miserable Lenovo support was. I'm starting to see some non-Lenovo laptops at work (my manager has an HP). I had our admin buy an Acer for a new hire.

It's not like I control a humongous budget. But I have /some/ influence. I'm not going to be a jerk about it, but I do let people know my experience.

Good luck with your dead T61s. Ours will gather dust in the garage until I finally throw it out or sell it on eBay. Meh.

You posted this problem like 4 months ago, did you call in between now and the last time you posted a message on this forum? So when was the last contact with Lenovo support on the repair?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

9 Posts

08-10-2010

Vietnam

33 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 145 of 638

2010-08-20, 18:47 PM

Can we buy a new mainboard (with integrated gpu) as a replacement for the old mainboard (Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M) of our T61 ?

Does anyone know how much is it ?

I'm thinking about buying this one if it's not too expensive

Because a brand new mainboard with Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M GPU may still cause the same problem again since it's error in design of gpu...

I called the service center to tell about this problem. Since my T61 is out of warranty, the tech guy asked me to bring my T61 to the service center for him to take a look. He also mentioned that with this kind of error, buying a replacement mainboard should be a solution. However, I haven't come to see him yet because I'm kind of busy...

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 146 of 638

2010-08-20, 22:24 PM

wrote:

Can we buy a new mainboard (with integrated gpu) as a replacement for the old mainboard (Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M) of our T61 ?

Does anyone know how much is it ?

I'm thinking about buying this one if it's not too expensive

Because a brand new mainboard with Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M GPU may still cause the same problem again since it's error in design of gpu...

I called the service center to tell about this problem. Since my T61 is out of warranty, the tech guy asked me to bring my T61 to the service center for him to take a look. He also mentioned that with this kind of error, buying a replacement mainboard should be a solution. However, I haven't come to see him yet because I'm kind of busy...

yes you can use the integrated GPU board, the cost of which depends on where you get it from. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Options

3 Posts

08-22-2010

dhaka

3 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 147 of 638

Lenovo T61 display problem from startup

2010-08-22, 7:58 AM

My lenovo T61 was running smoothly for the last two years but yesterday when I plugged my USB and started watching movie, all on a sudden the screen is garbled (screen is splitted horizontally and vertically) and remains like that till now from reboot. At startup the laptop screen is full with garbage characters. I can still access my windows vista in safe mode and ubuntu in text mode. Here is the screen's shot.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2849/lenovot61screenproblem.jpg

My Laptop specs:

Lenovo T61

System Model: 76631RH

BIOS: Ver 1.00 PARTTBLx

Processor: Intel Core2Duo CPU T7300 @2.00GHz

Memory: 3054 MB RAM

Display: Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M but currently it shows n/a

What could be the issue? graphics hardware problem? or should I try updating my bios? If anybody has knowledge, please help.

-----

Monjurul

Moderator edit: Converted pic >50k to link per the Community Rules.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 148 of 638

Re: Lenovo T61 display problem from startup

2010-08-22, 10:14 AM

that is your GPU dying.

Regards,

Jin Li

Options

2451 Posts

06-05-2010

Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina

5571 Signins

76138 Page Views

• Views: 76138
  • Message 149 of 638

Re: Lenovo T61 display problem from startup

2010-08-22, 18:16 PM

I agree with lead_org, but also can be a cooling problem too.

Best regards.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Options

3 Posts

08-22-2010

Quebec (Canada)

9 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 150 of 638

2010-08-22, 18:28 PM

Hello.

I just encountered the same problem with my T61. As of this morning, the display is garbled as soon as I power the machine on (including the BIOS splash screen).  I have the nvidia quadro 140M card.

My product id: 7664-16U

For all that is worth, I live in Canada and the laptop was bought here.

I just called lenovo support but they offered me the graphics drivers and the BIOS drivers. Funny but uncool. The technician on the other side did not seem to be aware of any nvidia quadro garbled issues.

Mark, is it possible to get some help from lenovo ? Last time they repaired my defect fan through a shop close to where I live however it was still covered by the warranty.

Thanks,

Alex

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms