Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-30-2010

United States

29 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 201 of 638

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

2010-10-01, 0:04 AM

I say Lenovo should do something for us users. 

I have a T61 with the Quadro NVS 140m card and it has failed twice in the past three years that I have owned it.  Not only that, but my brother has the same laptop with same exact configuration and his, as well, has failed twice in the past three years. 

It’s outrageous; I can’t keep having this cycle of failure and repair.  I can’t keep having my work computer fail on me.  I bought I to be reliable.

I am sorry to say but, even though this is not a fault of Lenovo, they have been poor to respond.  HP and Dell had already extended the warranty a year for users just as the suit was being filed.  Now HP will give new laptops to those affected and Dell will replace the part.  Instead, I have had to purchase an extra two years warranty out of my own pocket just to project my $1700 purchase.  So far I have had nothing but poor service from Lenovo compared to Dell or HP.  I took the company 3 months to ship out my laptop when first ordered, and all along the way they were vague on when I would receive it.  Most people would have canceled their orders after a month, but I had heard good things about Lenovo laptops and gave them the benefit of the doubt. 

Then a year later, my computer failed due to this graphics problem, and it took them three weeks to repair.  Customer service was horrible all along the way.  Second time it failed, a year and a half later, it also took three weeks, and the customer service was worse.  They hung up on me before they gave me my case number, were not very polite, didn’t speak clearly or loud enough, and were uniformed or unable to answer any of my questions or able to direct me to someone who could. 

Seriously, this has been a bad experience for me, and I hope Lenovo can change my opinion of them and do something for T61 owners.  This card is based on the 8000 series gpus that were settled in the lawsuit.  If Nvidia was unable to prove that those cards were not defunct, it means the Quadro NVS 140m is also a defunct product and should be replaced with a different product if it fails.  I don’t want to keep sending it in to repair, when I know it is only going to fail me in a year.  I have spent so much of my own money on what has become a lemon.  What am I going to do when the warranty is up? 

Options

28 Posts

11-20-2009

California

103 Signins

685 Page Views

• Views: 685
  • Message 202 of 638

2010-10-01, 0:37 AM
so we aren't affected by the nvidia issue?

t61vn try Email Registration.
Options

2 Posts

09-30-2010

United States

29 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 203 of 638

2010-10-01, 2:06 AM
We are, its just not covered by the suit. Quadro NVS 140m has a G84 core. It based on the same processor.
Options

28 Posts

11-20-2009

California

103 Signins

685 Page Views

• Views: 685
  • Message 204 of 638

2010-10-01, 23:14 PM
all that can change.
Options

2 Posts

10-06-2010

Toronto

8 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 205 of 638

2010-10-06, 21:33 PM

I have a T61 type 7665-13U with the garbled display problem from the Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M chip.

It is out of warranty and I called the Lenovo Canadian number about this problem since I'm in Toronto.

Lenovo said that there was a recall on my machine that expired July 2010. So after this date they cannot do anything. Under the recall they would have replaced the mother board.

I'm 2.5 months too late in reporting my problem. Does anyone have other suggestions to try?

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 206 of 638

2010-10-07, 1:40 AM
if the free recall program has expired, you can try the post warranty warranty option (Thinkplus), which is about 150 USD for a basic one year back depot version.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

1 Posts

10-07-2010

France

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 207 of 638

2010-10-07, 6:59 AM

Hi there,

first, thanks for the thread that helped me identifying the problem I was facing. until then I was trying to update everything, clean up, etc. until I've understood through this forum it was the graphic card and there was no solution.

So I had a T61 8891 CTO bought in February 08 while residing in NYC. Guarantee expired in Feb. this year, no extension. Also original guarantee was not covering France where I'm residing now -thanks for the link provided in an earlier message, I should have checked that when purchasing-. started to have garbled screen early August. Found end of August this thread and the explanation, and the link to the article saying that it was due to soldred default chip and sensitive to turn on / turn off heat change. so I kept the laptop always turned on -i.e. when not travelling- and it ran ok until last week of Sep. Then died complety. Emailed a Lenovo business partner in Paris, a few days later they said that no solution from themselves or other partners and that they had escalated to Lenovo. Then nothing. so I just dropped this path, bought a new laptop as without that I cannot work, and have a T410 now. that's the 4th Lenovo I have. the first one in early 2000's had a hard drive failure and I lost 6 months of unsaved data -my mistake...-, the second one was a T41 and died in after 3.5 years in Feb. 08. Then the third one, the T61 died a couple of weeks ago after 2.5 years. I may be nuts to buy Lenovo again. but when it works, works nicely. but does not work long for me unless I'm very unlucky.

ok, just to share experience, but no solution for NVidia problem when in France and out of guarantee it seems.

Best,

Patrick

Options

3 Posts

10-20-2010

United States of America

22 Signins

239 Page Views

• Views: 239
  • Message 208 of 638

2010-10-28, 17:53 PM

Hi All.

I had this problem and spent a lot of time thinking that it must be a driver issue. This thread clued me in that it was very likely to be something wrong with the graphics card itself.

After reading a lot of this thread, I contacted support and the agent gave me the dead-end responses that others have described: there is no recall for your machine type, you are out of warranty, therefore any repair would be billable.

A that point I sent Mark a PM and hoped to get his help in getting my machine looked at. It turns out that the next day, before Mark had a chance to reply to my PM, a very helpful support representative called me back to ask if the issue I had initiated the previous day had been resolved. I told him that it had not. I mentioned this thread, how others have had out-of-warranty repairs covered for this issue, and that I would just be trying to get Mark's help. 

He asked me to describe the symptoms. After hearing them, he said that it sounds like I did qualify for a repair. He said a tech would be calling me within a couple of hours to get more details. The tech called me and asked for me to describe the symptoms again. She quickly said that a shipping box would be on its way to my address so I could ship the box back for repairs. It showed up the next day. The shipment of my computer back to them was prepaid as Next Day Air (I didn't expect that) and so was the shipping of my computer back to me.  They replaced the mother board and all is well.

I just wanted to add this success story to the thread. Even though the initial support agent seemed to have no capacity to go beyond the "no recall, no warranty" discussion, someone at Lenovo support was actually wanting to make things right. And they did.

Options

2 Posts

10-31-2010

Charlotte, NC

9 Signins

99 Page Views

• Message 209 of 638

2010-10-31, 7:04 AM

Thanks dssabo. My T61 6459-CTO has the same issue for the last 3 months now. I bought mine in 2008. I was clueless until I saw this thread. I will call lenovo customer care tomorrow and try my luck.

Options

11 Posts

10-26-2010

MD, USA

130 Signins

626 Page Views

• Views: 626
  • Message 210 of 638

2010-11-01, 2:49 AM

Hi all,

Thank you for this thread, it helped me a lot.

I have the same problem with my T61 7663-DR1 (purchased from Lenovo outlet on February, 2009).  My warranty ended in February this year and I started having grabbled display problems a month ago. Like others here, screen looks bad in BIOS as well. I'd love to call Lenovo about this porblem but, unfotunately, I've already opened my T61 to replace the fan unit. Does this change my options?

My fan went bad one month after the warranty expired so I went ahead and purchased a new one on ebay and replaced it myself.  Now that I opened my laptop once, am I eligible for warranty extention/repairs through Lenovo?

I'de really like to have my t61 fixed because I invested a lot of money in it. I have an additional battery and a power supply and a docking station and windows 7 upgrade and MS Office and other software. Moreover, my employer (government) gave me T400 and I use t61 and t400 interchangebly on my desk at home to do my job and home tasks. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms