Options

11 Posts

10-26-2010

MD, USA

130 Signins

626 Page Views

• Views: 626
  • Message 231 of 638

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

2010-11-19, 3:10 AM

herchu -

I bought a motherboard with the laptop base, CPU and CPU fan already attached to it.  I think that the motherboard mounting is identical but cannot confirm this because I actually didn't take it out completely. The CPU fan assembly looked 100% the same but has a different number on it.  In fact, I have three fan assemblies (they don't last long), each with a different number but otherwise identical. 

My dead laptop was T61 7663-DR1.  Laptop base came from 7659.

I used a T61 manual as a source of instructions for board replacement (can be found on lenovo website).  The manual seems to be applicable to many (all?) t61 variations, Nvidia or not. c All parts looked the same to me when I compared pictures in the manual to the insides of 7663 and 7659 models.  I assume that many if not all 14 inch T61s are the same inside. 

Options

1 Posts

11-22-2010

Long Island, New York, USA

2 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 232 of 638

2010-11-22, 6:14 AM

Just wanted to make a quick mention that my wife's T61 started acting up last month, about a month out of warranty. I baked the system board today to reflow the solder (I'm an IT consultant by profession, but do very few board-level repairs these days - though I do get my share of LCD inverters and backlights to fix - , and surely, I've never intentionally "baked" a component before).

The procedure worked quite well (385 degrees F for ~7 mins). I did it in the toaster oven. :smileyhappy:

It took me an hour for tear-down; 15 mins to prep; 7 mins in the oven; an hour for cool down; and 2 hours to re-assemble. Anyway, who knows how long it will go until it gives up the ghost, but for now, it saves me having to waste countless hours on the phone trying to convince Lenovo to do the repair gratis as it is surely a manufacturing defect; or the cost of purchasing a replacement board (the Nvidia-equipped system board is a killer - even through my reseller channel); or the cost of just sending it out either to Lenovo or another service provider capable of performing the correct repair.

Cheers, all.

Lewis
-------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE
Rosenthal& Rosenthal, LLC www.2rosenthals.com
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot? www.hautspot.com
visit my IT blog www.2rosenthals.net/wordpress
-------------------------------------------------------------
Options

6 Posts

11-22-2010

Slovenia

10 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 233 of 638

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. Garbled display problem!

2010-11-22, 13:37 PM

Hello,

I have to report the same problem with R61 ThinkPad which is out of warranty of course. At fist there was garbled display and green dots and squares everywhere until the system froze 10 seconds later. When I restarted there was just blank screen and no output to external monitor. It seemed that graphic card has failed. I took it to IBM service and they confirmed that it is Nvidia Quadro NVS 140m graphic card failure. Now that I have official service confirmation, what are my next steps to get the motherboard replaced due to a generic manufacturer fault.

Thanx.

Options

9 Posts

12-06-2010

washington, dc usa

203 Signins

495 Page Views

• Views: 495
  • Message 234 of 638

2010-12-06, 13:08 PM

Hi,

My T61p died in Oct 2010 for the seem problem. I didn't even know about this until today. I thought I need to get a new laptop since my t61p is out of warranty. I guess I missed the window time to resolve the problem.

Any suggestions on what to do? Anyone actually got the laptop fixed in Nov or even Dec 2010? How can I PM Mark for a suggestion?

thank you.

Options

9 Posts

12-06-2010

washington, dc usa

203 Signins

495 Page Views

• Message 235 of 638

2010-12-07, 15:35 PM

Called this morning...

Technicians asked the problem and hung up on me. One asked me to find the document about this defective nvidia graphic card issue, and they other just said your machine is out of warrant so you can not get phone tech support... They both said "I don't want to spend time with you anymore", and hung up.

Options

1 Posts

12-08-2010

UK

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 236 of 638

2010-12-08, 13:51 PM

my laptop also developed a similar problem. it started with the garbled screen and restarting, and that happened one day after i'd been on it for a number of hours, once it happened once, the screen resolution started changing by itself, then the laptop would just freeze, then try to restart, get passed windows xp logo and restart again would only boot up in to the lenovo mode as well as many other strange issues. Basically the laptop was completely unusable, phoned lenovo after looking up the issue online, ran all the diagnostic tests and a virus scan and nothing showed up. I mentioned the graphics problem and they knew nothing about it, (a friend of mine had come to have a look at it and thought it was the likely problem). luckily it happened in under three years after purchasing it so they said it was covered by warantee, i had to fight for it though. I have to say I was really disappointed by this whole thing, I don't have a lot of money in general so buying this laptop was a massive decision and purchase for me. I expected it to last longer than 3 years and not have to put all of the effort in to get them to fix it for me. I have always recommended Lenovo/ IBM laptops to friends but after this i'm not so sure. it's currently with them being repaired I expect to have it back sometime next week and hopefully the issue will be fixed. I will keep you posted!

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 237 of 638

2010-12-08, 15:02 PM
@gemgem368 you can't blame the nvidia gpu failure on Lenovo, as it affected the entire industry (HP, Dell, Apple, etc). Since it is covered under warranty repair, i don't think you should really be that angry.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

9 Posts

12-06-2010

washington, dc usa

203 Signins

495 Page Views

• Message 238 of 638

2010-12-08, 18:50 PM

@gemgem368. Yeah. Lead_org is right. It is not just lenovo, but lenovo is the only one who never admitted the problem. It is lucky that you are still covered by warranty. Hopefully, they will change a motherboard with good graphic card.

I actually thought about buying a T410 after my T61 finished his short life, but I am concerned about the customer service with lenovo now. They knew about the defective gpus, but they don't do the right thing as dell/hp/apple. I looked at the lawsuit against nividia updates these days. I found that Dell, HP and Apple laptop customers are considered to receive compensation from nvidia because of the defective graphic card. The final judgement will be made this month. Sadly, lenovo customers are not in the list.

Options

11 Posts

10-26-2010

MD, USA

130 Signins

626 Page Views

• Views: 626
  • Message 239 of 638

2010-12-08, 19:57 PM

Now that we are talking about this, I must say that I will never buy a Lenovo laptop again. When I bought this T61 about two years ago I was making an investment into quality of the product. And I was promoting Lenovo quality to my friends before too, based on experience I had with T40 and T60. But my new T61 died after 20 months of use. I don't think that a poor nvidia chip on a Lenovo board is not a Lenovo problem. They sell business class notebooks for a business-class price tag because they ensure a certain quality of materials and components that go into this product. If they found that a supplier didn't happen to meet the high standards of quality, they should have found a way to fix this problem. It is not a problem of my laptop, it is a problem of their quality department. Another thing that bothers me is that they sold me this nvidia T61 in 2009, i.e long after the problem was reported on this forum and elsewhere.

Options

9 Posts

12-06-2010

washington, dc usa

203 Signins

495 Page Views

• Message 240 of 638

2010-12-09, 16:39 PM

Ok. Here is the update.

After I PMed Mark, within one day I received a phone call from lenovo. The lady was very nice. After she asked me about the symptom of the laptop, she said this model is in the recall list. A box will be sent to me tomorrow, and I just need to send the laptop back to get it fixed.

Thanks to Mark for the help. This definitely makes me feel that lenovo is working hard to provide good customer service and high quality products.

Some technical support people may not be very experienced though.

Once again, thank Mark for everything.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete