Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

11-13-2012

usa

35 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 571 of 638

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

2012-11-13, 21:33 PM

My laptop started to have this famous garbled display issue two weeks ago.  It still worked sometimes after a few try, but tt was a downward spiral ever since, and now it stops working all together.  By reading from this post, it looks like I need to replace the motherboard.  Where can I obtain one and how much does it cost?   Any help is greatly appreciated.

I purchased my laptop around May 2007. The product Id is 7662CTO with intel dual core processor.

Options

3 Posts

12-08-2012

Germany

29 Signins

178 Page Views

• Views: 178
  • Message 572 of 638

2012-12-08, 20:41 PM

Hey there,

I guess I'm affected now, too:

I've been playing a little 3D game and all of a sudden I got some strange graphic distortions and the laptop freezed up. I've tried to restart my laptop and it seemed to start, the hdd was working but the screen kept beeing black with back-lights on but NO beep sounds (compared to the usual long-short-short sequence). Today I've connected the laptop to an external monitor and suprisingly saw the BIOS splash screen with graphic errors like squares and color errors and after that saw the windows 7 logo loading but this screen had vertical blue dashed bars on it. After completing system rescue (windows wouldn't start) 3-4 times the screen errors were gone and windows seemed to start normally. I've tried FN+F7 to test the laptop screen and to my surprise it was working again and works up to this time. I just keep getting some short freezes after which in the tray icon I keep getting nvidia driver error messages and driver restarts...

Can you confirm it's the nvidia-bug problem and my system is deteriorating up to the point I can't use it anymore?

My second question is: Would it make sence to install another Motherboard with Nvidia 140M graphic device, which was produced after 08/08?

I do work as a web-designer and sometimes need to work with graphic-intense programs like Cinema3DXL or the Adobe Product Line...

And last question: How is the performance of the internal Intel Graphic device compared to the nvidia 140m?

My System:

Lenovo T61, 7664-R5G

Nvidia NVS 140M Graphic chip

Windows 7 32bit

Thx in advance for all replies and TuuS for beeing so helpful to the community

Options

2253 Posts

01-02-2011

United States of America

8345 Signins

51772 Page Views

• Views: 51772
  • Message 573 of 638

2012-12-08, 22:05 PM

wrote:

Hey there,

I guess I'm affected now, too:

I've been playing a little 3D game and all of a sudden I got some strange graphic distortions and the laptop freezed up. I've tried to restart my laptop and it seemed to start, the hdd was working but the screen kept beeing black with back-lights on but NO beep sounds (compared to the usual long-short-short sequence). Today I've connected the laptop to an external monitor and suprisingly saw the BIOS splash screen with graphic errors like squares and color errors and after that saw the windows 7 logo loading but this screen had vertical blue dashed bars on it. After completing system rescue (windows wouldn't start) 3-4 times the screen errors were gone and windows seemed to start normally. I've tried FN+F7 to test the laptop screen and to my surprise it was working again and works up to this time. I just keep getting some short freezes after which in the tray icon I keep getting nvidia driver error messages and driver restarts...

Can you confirm it's the nvidia-bug problem and my system is deteriorating up to the point I can't use it anymore?

My second question is: Would it make sence to install another Motherboard with Nvidia 140M graphic device, which was produced after 08/08?

I do work as a web-designer and sometimes need to work with graphic-intense programs like Cinema3DXL or the Adobe Product Line...

And last question: How is the performance of the internal Intel Graphic device compared to the nvidia 140m?

My System:

Lenovo T61, 7664-R5G

Nvidia NVS 140M Graphic chip

Windows 7 32bit

Thx in advance for all replies and TuuS for beeing so helpful to the community

You're very welcome and I'm glad I've been able to help members here. At the moment there is 1 of the rare 08/08 nvs140m boards available. They were only produced for one full month so they are very difficlut to source. If you're interested in it send me a PM. I can also get the Intel boards. The Intel X3100 is a good graphic system, it will do most tasks, but some apps (mostly games) are written to use only very specific graphic systems so you may find some that don't work on the intel system. For 99.9% of tasks it will work fine. The nVidia has dedicated video ram so this will help your performance, but the intel gpu is far from a poor performer. As far as price goes, the nVidia and Intel boards are about the same, but the rare 08/08 nVidia boards do sell at a premium.

Regarding your symptoms, they are consistent with nvidia failure, specifically the nvs140m which often fails slowly with graphic artifacts where the FX570m tends to fail hard and suddenly and more often produces the 3 beeps.

While you are still able to read your bios, please check your CPU model number, it will start with a T and have four digits, such as T7500. This will be important in determining which board you need.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Options

15 Posts

12-01-2012

spain

32 Signins

255 Page Views

• Views: 255
  • Message 574 of 638

2012-12-19, 23:29 PM

Going through a similar experience myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Lt8QkF21U

As you can see in the video (not very clearly) the screen turns on for about half a second and then goes blank. External monitor is working perfectly, and I ran the System Update tool yesterday and today in the morning the screen worked for a while ,then I switched back to external, then in the afternoon I tried going back to laptop display and i found it was again failing.

Is there any way I can make sure this is a hardware problem? At first it seemed like a driver problem, since the external monitor works ok, and after updating it worked for a while, so I don't really know what to think :/

Options

14 Posts

07-26-2010

United States of America

113 Signins

449 Page Views

• Views: 449
  • Message 575 of 638

2012-12-22, 16:15 PM

My Thinkpad R61 8920-8RU (T7200, NVS 140M) died recently because of fault Nvidia chip. It was already repaired at the end of 2010 because of this. It was on extended warranty. Now warranty ended. Problems begun about about 6 months ago. It begun to BSOD randomly again. Then VGA output lost Blue color channel. I managed to get it back by running Furmark for 15-20 minutes and thus raising GPU temperature to about 72 C degrees.

Now it doesn't turn anymore. Screen is all in lines and BSODs with NMI Parity. I booted into OS by removing Nvidia driver. It was only 640*480, 16 colors, but I switched to 800*600, 16 colors. Works, but everything in lines and limited colors ruin all my great experience with ThinkPad so far :) After all, I still love Lenovo and Thinkpads. Used tons of other manufacturers notebooks. None have so great driver support and good software. Most doesn't have even simple description on what this driver or app does.

Thank you!

Options

2253 Posts

01-02-2011

United States of America

8345 Signins

51772 Page Views

• Message 576 of 638

2012-12-22, 16:41 PM

wrote:

My Thinkpad R61 8920-8RU (T7200, NVS 140M) died recently because of fault Nvidia chip. It was already repaired at the end of 2010 because of this. It was on extended warranty. Now warranty ended. Problems begun about about 6 months ago. It begun to BSOD randomly again. Then VGA output lost Blue color channel. I managed to get it back by running Furmark for 15-20 minutes and thus raising GPU temperature to about 72 C degrees.

Now it doesn't turn anymore. Screen is all in lines and BSODs with NMI Parity. I booted into OS by removing Nvidia driver. It was only 640*480, 16 colors, but I switched to 800*600, 16 colors. Works, but everything in lines and limited colors ruin all my great experience with ThinkPad so far :) After all, I still love Lenovo and Thinkpads. Used tons of other manufacturers notebooks. None have so great driver support and good software. Most doesn't have even simple description on what this driver or app does.

Thank you!

Your system being an R61 doesn't really belong in this category, but some of the better R61 series are essentially similar to the T61, yours included, and it seems you have the same problem, so I guess this is as good a place as any.

please check your cpu model number because I don't recall ever seeing one with a T7200 cpu, T7300, T7500 are more likely. 

If you'd like me to find you a system board, I'd be glad to check what is availabel I'd need your model and serial numbers, but send them in a private message, not in the public forum, and I'll do anything I can.

ThinkPad W-510 i7-820QM(1.73-3.06GHz) Quad Core... ThinkPad T500, T9900, 8gb SSD...FrankNpad T-60p/61p (X9000 2.8ghz) 8gb SSD ips FlexView...ThinkPad T-61p (T9300 2.5ghz) 8gb ram...Thinkpad X-61 Tablet 8gb ram.
Options

2 Posts

01-12-2012

Hungary

10 Signins

107 Page Views

• Views: 107
  • Message 577 of 638

2012-12-30, 10:28 AM

Hello Guys,

I'm being here because the 1 long and 2 short beeps overtook me yesterday.

Until this time I was sure that the GPU problem only affects the T4x series notebooks despite the fact I'm reading lenovo and thinkpad forums often.

I have a FrankenPad T60/T61p (8891) SXGA+ Flexview built myself in 2009.

Yesterday I sent the machine to sleep and it never came back.

How can I be sure that the problem is because of the faulty Nvidia GPU and not because of other parts on the motherboard? I did not have any previous problems like BSOD or pixel problems. I'm asking because here are some guys who are replacing the GPU with professional equipment. It costs ~150USD.

Here is the picture about my GPU.

I'm a little confused, most of the pages describe the problem as unrepairable because all of the GPUs are affected, but in this forum TuuS mention that working GPU-s are available. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is, how can I be sure that the repair guy offers me a new and not affected GPU or inserting a new but also probably faulty one. Is there any number on the GPU which tells me the true about it?

Thanks a lot,

Virgi44

Options

6 Posts

01-04-2013

United States

14 Signins

87 Page Views

• Views: 87
  • Message 578 of 638

2013-01-04, 20:53 PM

Mark:  Don't know if you're still at Lenovo and following this Nvidea/T61 issue but if you are I have my sad story to add. It would be great if you can comment on it and help if possible.  My problem started in mid Dec 2012 when I got  vertical colored lines in the display.  After I upgraded the Nvidea driver from the Lenovo support site I was unable to boot windows (Vista) or roll back using Rescue and Recovery.  Finally I called Lenovo and signed up for their Premium Support ($89.) to fix what I thought at the time was a software problem.  After 3 weeks of very spotty "support" I now have Vista booting onto my external monitor using the VGA driver.  When I upgrade to the NVidea driver Windows will not start normally.  I don't expect Lenovo to fix the hardware problem at this late date.  But I do expect them to tell me about the well known hardware issue when I call to pay for software support.  I asked to speak with a supervisor who said that because Vista was now running and it appear to be a hardware issue he could not refund the support charge.  I have bought probably 15 ThinkPads (IBM and Lenovo) for my business and personal use and have always been very happy -- until now.  This has given me a very bad taste and made me wonder if Lenovo is falling back into where most other computer manufacturers seem to be.  Thanks for your consideration.

Options

2253 Posts

01-02-2011

United States of America

8345 Signins

51772 Page Views

• Message 579 of 638

2013-01-04, 23:12 PM

wrote:

Hello Guys,

I'm being here because the 1 long and 2 short beeps overtook me yesterday.

Until this time I was sure that the GPU problem only affects the T4x series notebooks despite the fact I'm reading lenovo and thinkpad forums often.

I have a FrankenPad T60/T61p (8891) SXGA+ Flexview built myself in 2009.

Yesterday I sent the machine to sleep and it never came back.

How can I be sure that the problem is because of the faulty Nvidia GPU and not because of other parts on the motherboard? I did not have any previous problems like BSOD or pixel problems. I'm asking because here are some guys who are replacing the GPU with professional equipment. It costs ~150USD.

Here is the picture about my GPU.

I'm a little confused, most of the pages describe the problem as unrepairable because all of the GPUs are affected, but in this forum TuuS mention that working GPU-s are available. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My question is, how can I be sure that the repair guy offers me a new and not affected GPU or inserting a new but also probably faulty one. Is there any number on the GPU which tells me the true about it?

Thanks a lot,

Virgi44

Virgi44,

The shops that are reballing these boards with replacement GPUs are usually getting chips that are pulled off old boards and have the date codes polished off and new ones etched on. If you do a google search for "fake chips" and "china" you can read more about this. The U.S. dept of defense was even scammed, buying thousands of these fake chips. nVidia doesn't sell new gpu chips for these boards unless your an OEM customer like Lenovo, and then they only make as many as are needed. Simply put, there is no profit in making small quantities of chips, they need to make them by the millions to profit, so they focus on new production models. It would be nice if there were new GPUs available, but they are very rare. For the standard (non-widescreen) models the only way to get a good gpu is to get a board that was refurbed by Lenovo, but they don't all get the gpu replaced and they cost about $600-700...   a lot of money for a board that may, or maynot have a good gpu chip.

Options

2253 Posts

01-02-2011

United States of America

8345 Signins

51772 Page Views

• Message 580 of 638

2013-01-04, 23:18 PM
Hi Documike,

Mark isn't able to reply to everyone here in the forum, but hopefully he'll see this post because I agree with you, this problem is well known and they should have had you check your hardware before engaging in paid software support. I don't see how they can claim the support was successful if you're left with a system that doesn't work, but that's just my opinion.

My advice is to get a board with Intel graphics, there are some boards made in the last month before the series was cancelled that have good gpu chips, but those boards have become very rare, so the Intel option is about the only way to get a reliable working system.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms