Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

59 Posts

04-18-2010

United States of America

1409 Signins

3611 Page Views

• Views: 3611
  • Message 71 of 638

Re: T61 Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M.. garbled display problem!

2010-04-27, 16:33 PM

wrote:

wrote:

QUestion: did anyone get new motherboard and had to get it fixed again? my compt was running then when I installed MS Office, it shut down and can't turn back on. i called support and they said it's because of the software :|

i dont know what to do ::(

I had my system board replaced four times in the first year of ownership due to this very problem.  The latest NVS 140M seemed cooperative until recently.  About 2 weeks ago, I was configuring my new home theater system/HTPC remotely and my T61 suddenly shut down and would not power back on.  After unplugging it, removing the battery, and doing some power button voodoo rituals, and plugging it back in, I was able to get the system to try to power on, but after the BIOS splash screen appeared the fan sped way up, there were some beeps, and the system shut off abruptly (before completing POST).  The beep code means "System board or DIMM", and I've tested the RAM in another system and it's good, so it looks like the ol' G8x crapped out again.

thanks for your information. I'm reinstalling windows 7 and see if it works. I don't know if it's because the system files were corrupted after many failed attempt to boot before but I think it was very unpleasant when the person on the phone blamed it on the software and refused to comment because im out of warranty :| they just fixed my motherboard for god's sake... 

Options

59 Posts

04-18-2010

United States of America

1409 Signins

3611 Page Views

• Message 72 of 638

2010-04-27, 16:39 PM

wrote:

wrote:

QUestion: did anyone get new motherboard and had to get it fixed again? my compt was running then when I installed MS Office, it shut down and can't turn back on. i called support and they said it's because of the software :|

i dont know what to do ::(

well, LinYu had to get the T61p repaired twice for the same problem, when the motherboard on the T61p he/she received from repair had another case of failure.

Before, you send it off the repair again, take out the ram modules, and see whether the laptop beeps 1-3-3-1 sequence, then reinsert the ram and start the laptop again.

thank you for your advice. I tested my RAM before sending in the laptop and it worked fine. but i think it doesn't hurt. I'll do all these testing in 2 weeks since i have no time now and it seems to me that they say they can warranty the replaced board for 3 months....

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 73 of 638

2010-04-27, 16:46 PM
in certain countries there are rules regarding the 3 months warranty extension on parts repaired, so this maybe the case in US.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

2 Posts

04-09-2010

USA

12 Signins

152 Page Views

• Views: 152
  • Message 74 of 638

2010-04-27, 17:44 PM

I got my out of warranty laptop fixed.  They replaced the motherboard for free.  It was a real challenge and took couple weeks of "negotiations" but Mark (from Lenovo) helped big time!!!   FYI my problem was clearly showing as the garbled display problem.

Mark,  I hope your management realize that you are providing a VERY significant help to Lenovo customers.  I was going to go away of Lenovo brand forever (me and my company) but your action, support and help made me change my mind.  (I understand that bug/issues can happen but not recognizing obvious and known issues should not happen... at least not when the company is Lenovo...  it is obviously bad.... very bad for the brand --- Dell, HP have both recognized publicly the issue and this is reassuring for all their current and future customers)

Thanks a lot Mark.  Lenovo should be proud to have you!

Options

59 Posts

04-18-2010

United States of America

1409 Signins

3611 Page Views

• Message 75 of 638

2010-04-27, 19:38 PM

i tried to reinstall, and now it still randomly shuts down.... i was checking RAM and i think it works fine. there was 1-3-3-1 beep as you said...

so what should I do?

thank you

Update: now it died exactly the same as before without the garbled display - some small beeps like i heard before it was fixed again.

This time it's going to depot second critical level. So much for the thinkpad...

it seems to me that Lenovo only changed the motherboard without testing if the computer is working , which for me doesn't sound like a good practice.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 76 of 638

2010-04-27, 23:30 PM

wrote:

i tried to reinstall, and now it still randomly shuts down.... i was checking RAM and i think it works fine. there was 1-3-3-1 beep as you said...

so what should I do?

thank you

Update: now it died exactly the same as before without the garbled display - some small beeps like i heard before it was fixed again.

This time it's going to depot second critical level. So much for the thinkpad...

it seems to me that Lenovo only changed the motherboard without testing if the computer is working , which for me doesn't sound like a good practice.

Lenovo don't own the depot that fixes the laptop, they are third party companies that Lenovo contracts out to. Also, the software test kit they got, is not very CPU/GPU intensive, passing their tests, would not mean that the GPU is okay. You got run something GPU intensive for like a hour or two to find out the result.

Also, i think most of their tests are run through DOS environment (well that is what the support told me anyway). So if you get the laptop back, you should still run something GPU intensive to make sure everything is alright.

Regards,

Jin Li

Options

59 Posts

04-18-2010

United States of America

1409 Signins

3611 Page Views

• Message 77 of 638

2010-04-27, 23:34 PM

Oh I see. well i ran their tests and actually it didn't pass. The full system test, it always shut down either at the pattern test of memory or it would pass that then shut down at the Non local video memory test. I am not sure what the problem is but when it turns on, sometimes it dies at the exact flash screen as it was before the repair. I checked the RAM and it was working fine for other computer... and no blue screen that says memory problem (I changed RAM due to faulty in RAM before), blue screen was sayin there was some error and system has to shut down (the blue screen was not even all long as we usually see, it's only 4-5 lines)

oh well....sending it in again. this is really time consuming :D

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 78 of 638

2010-04-27, 23:53 PM

wrote:

Oh I see. well i ran their tests and actually it didn't pass. The full system test, it always shut down either at the pattern test of memory or it would pass that then shut down at the Non local video memory test. I am not sure what the problem is but when it turns on, sometimes it dies at the exact flash screen as it was before the repair. I checked the RAM and it was working fine for other computer... and no blue screen that says memory problem (I changed RAM due to faulty in RAM before), blue screen was sayin there was some error and system has to shut down (the blue screen was not even all long as we usually see, it's only 4-5 lines)

oh well....sending it in again. this is really time consuming :D

Well be sure to run some GPU intensive benchmark when you get the laptop back, just in case something funny should happen again. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Options

4 Posts

04-11-2010

McLean, VA

29 Signins

179 Page Views

• Views: 179
  • Message 79 of 638

2010-04-30, 12:50 PM

Hi guys,

I'm one of the lucky (not so) few customers to have experienced the garbled display problem.

As for all of us that have posted on this thread, Mark helped big time to get my computer fixed, free of charge.

I had to go back and forth between Lenovo's tech support, who tried to charge me 2-3 times and changed my case # in the process, but Mark was there every single time and corrected that.

After a few weeks my computer was back and seemed to be fixed!

A big, big thanks to Mark for being on top of all these issues!

Unfortunately, I think I'm in a similar same position as "stupidolive". Everything seems to work fine on my computer's display: movies, Office, Firefox, etc...

However if I plug back my external monitor, fire a movie and try to display it on the bigger screen:

It plays for less than a minute and my computer just shuts down.

Same as stupidolive: I have to remove the battery, unplug the A/C, re-plug, and then the laptop will fire up again.

Everytime I plug the display and try to play a movie on it, my laptop's life expenctancy drops below the minute.

I'll do as he did: Re-install Win7 in the hope that something got messed up b/w the new motherboard and my old install/drivers... But I actually updated NVidia's drivers already, to no luck.

I have a feeling that the laptop will take another trip to Lenovo pretty soon.

You guys have any suggestion? Any hope I'm not in the lucky batch that seems to have to send their laptop back and forth 4 times to get it right?

It's kind of sad: Mark truly did an amazing job with me, and most importantly with all of us on this thread and countless number of others, I'm sure. But it seems to be him against the entire Tech support staff at Lenovo...

Regards,

Nicolas

Options

59 Posts

04-18-2010

United States of America

1409 Signins

3611 Page Views

• Message 80 of 638

2010-04-30, 13:49 PM

i think you should send it in. I sent it in. Dunno if they'll call to charge me but either way I don't think that they should only change motherboard without testing if our computer is fully functional. My laptop didn't even get plugged into the monitor and still died - 9 times within 2 hours - it was also really hot. 

I hope that the repair service will have their service checked before returning the laptop to customers since it's obvious to me that the shipping + time cost is not small for both lenovo and the customers.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms