Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

88 Posts

03-13-2008

Warsaw, Poland

1222 Signins

3022 Page Views

• Views: 3022
  • Message 291 of 938

Re: T61P Graphic problems--random shut down, BSOD, Crash

2008-03-13, 20:48 PM
Dear Mark_Lenovo (or Lenovo in general),

I was intending to buy a T61p (15'', w/ T9300) within incoming days, but the memory/graphics problem really worries me, because there's no doubt I will let the Quadro feel the heat... :smileywink:  (e.g. will use 3d extensively).

Unfortunately, buying the T61p now, and upgrading / fixing it later is not an option for me, because the customer service / technical service of Lenovo in Poland is a disaster. Their infamy is really widespread across Polish forums, so the last thing I need is to rely on them to get my laptop to work properly.

This is why I have to ask what is the progress in resolving this technical issue and whether I should wait with my purchase.
(Although I would really hate to wait - I'm going to our beautiful Polish mountains for a couple of days and I'd love to have a laptop in the evenings after I'm dead from the hiking trail :smileywink: .)

Please, advise me ASAP, because I need to make the purchase this Monday (March 17th) to get everything set-up and installed before I leave.

Thanks.

PS.  Mark - please tell your seniors that you really need more people responding to these forums. You seem to be doing a decent job, but it's obvious that you're overwhelmed with the amount of posting. And clients / potential clients do get angry when they don't see swift and meaningful responses (although they won't always let you know). If you need our support behind your plea, I'll sign it with both hands.
Options

19 Posts

03-13-2008

Los Angeles

34 Signins

393 Page Views

• Views: 393
  • Message 292 of 938

2008-03-13, 21:26 PM
AGREED!  Thank you Axure, and Mark, I'll take that into consideration..

Thanks,

-GR
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 293 of 938

2008-03-13, 21:38 PM
All,

I understand member's expectations, but I also remind them to read the rules - this is a peer to peer support community, with SOME level of Lenovo support.   There is no guarantee of a Lenovo answer or a specific response time.  Here's the opening paragraph from the rules.

Objectives of Lenovo Discussion Forums

These communities have been created to provide a high quality atmosphere in which users of Lenovo products and services may share experiences and expertise. While members from Lenovo may participate at intervals to engage in the discussions and offer advice and suggestions, this forum is not designed as a dedicated and staffed support channel. This is an informal and public forum, and Lenovo does not guarantee the accuracy of information and advice posted here -- see important Warranty information below.

However, that said, I personally have hopes and expectations that more members of Lenovo will join and participate, and we are already seeing that.   Myles_Lenovo has joined and brings along a lot of experience, as well as Bloo and Shumpert.

I also have hopes and expectations that the blogs and forums are just a first step in a longer journey that we will all take together.   I'll end there so as not to hijack this thread.

Options

88 Posts

03-13-2008

Warsaw, Poland

1222 Signins

3022 Page Views

• Views: 3022
  • Message 294 of 938

2008-03-13, 21:58 PM
Thank you, Mark, for your response.
Indeed, I didn't really read the rules - joining new forums, I always assume that not swearing and not startig flame wars is good enough :smileywink:.

I encourage Lenovo to take a more official and serious stance towards the forums, because it is very useful for users to be able to read about other people's problems, solutions that have been found and Lenovo's own reactions.

At the same time, I'd like to thank Mark and others from Lenovo for contributing to this forum. They definitely are a good seed from which full-blown support forums should be grown.

Message Edited by Axure on 03-13-2008 11:59 PM
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 295 of 938

2008-03-13, 22:05 PM
Axure wrote:
joining new forums, I always assume that not swearing and not startig flame wars is good enough :smileywink:.

After years of doing this, believe me, that's a great start deserving a Whoo-Hooo dance!  We can usually work out the other details along the way.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

2 Posts

03-13-2008

Vienna, VA

39 Signins

580 Page Views

• Views: 580
  • Message 296 of 938

2008-03-13, 23:34 PM

I might as well throw in my two cents...

I've had my T61p since octoberish of last year (2007) and have experienced similar problems as the OP and several other people throughout this very long thread.

While playing Hellgate: London I will often get "display driver stop responding and recovered" after a random amount of game time, this is with all the graphics at their lowest settings... also, i'll get a blue screen of death from time to time, and it will say its "dumping physical memory" or something along those lines.

While playing Team Fortress 2 the laptop will just straight up shut itself off.  When windows reloads, the screen settings are reset so the icons are very, very large...

And turning on the laptop in general is about a 5-8 minute fiasco.

p.s. i don't know enough about the inner-workings of laptops, but I have a hunch that the random shut-downs could be a overheating problem...
T61p
Options

12 Posts

02-28-2008

United States

212 Signins

4544 Page Views

• Views: 4544
  • Message 297 of 938

2008-03-14, 0:41 AM
Your problem is likely an OS or graphic driver problem, it is not the result of the problem mentioned in this thread.

I would suggest reformatting your computer or uninstalling your current graphic drivers and updating to the latest.

Hope this helps,

Hackez
Options

1 Posts

03-07-2008

Tunisia

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 298 of 938

2008-03-14, 3:24 AM
Hackerz, I've been following your story since NBR. And wow, I feel for you.  I've had computer issues before but never on that scale.

Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 here, I've had my T61p for about a week now and I've been testing games extensivly (at least thats my excuse :smileywink: ) to make sure I don't have any problems, and I'm happy to report I've had none so far!  Maybe the factory has resolved the issue and you guys got a bad batch :smileysad: but so far atleast I haven't encountered any errors aside from my own BMAK (Between Monitor and Keyboard) errors.

Just for reference my specs:
2.5 gHz processor
3gb ram (2 dimms)
160gb HDD

And the games I've tested so far:
WoW
Bioshock
Orange Box (Atleast and hour of play, and more than 10 seperate startups and plays)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Oblivoin (Having some chashing errors, but it seems unrelated)
Batllefield 2

I've also run a number of stress tests on 3dmark06 and 05 before I installed extra ram, after, and after I tried the modded drivers (thank you SO MUCH Hackerz) and passed all with flying colors.

Hope that reassures somebody who's thinking about getting a t61p, I still think it's the BEST laptop you can get right now for this price and features.

Message Edited by Ticolyle on 03-13-2008 10:31 PM
Options

12 Posts

02-28-2008

United States

212 Signins

4544 Page Views

• Views: 4544
  • Message 299 of 938

2008-03-14, 4:59 AM
If you've ran all those games, I can happily say you don't have this problem. Glad to hear it! Any of those games on my T61P and they would work perfectly for about fifteen minutes and then crash.

Thankfully Mark is handling my case personally and is even going to try and do a Saturday shipment to me so I don't have to wait until Monday to get it back.

I just had the horrid luck of purchasing a defective T61P initially and then being issued a replacement after three failed repairs with the exact same defect.

Awaiting an official announcement from Mark I just want to tell you guys that I believe they have come up with a perfectly working fix, though I'm not sure if its hardware or software. I'll just have to wait until hopefully Saturday (perhaps Monday) to test out my repaired laptop and see how it goes!
Options

2 Posts

03-11-2008

Merion Station, PA

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 300 of 938

2008-03-15, 2:37 AM
well i made one post earlier praising my t61p after not having any issues with it.  unfortunately, I have to rescind my statement.  I am getting a box sent to my house in a few days to send it for repairs/depot.  Whenever I run CS Source or the video stress test, the computer totally shuts off (not BSOD, complete shut off) to the point where I cant turn it back on until i remove the battery and power cord and then re-plug them in.  I'm quite disappointed and customer service did all they could before telling me it's probably a hardware error that needs repair (definitely the video card, the processor never went above 55 celcius).

On one better note, customer service was extremely nice and responsive, and legitimately helping.  I don't know why anyone online has been complaining, my experience with Lenovo Customer service has been very good.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms