Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

117 Posts

12-05-2007

Arizona, USA

245 Signins

4200 Page Views

• Views: 4200
  • Message 421 of 938

Re: T61P Graphic problems--random shut down, BSOD, Crash

2008-04-07, 20:11 PM
Asknure, you are basing your assumption on past events, but things are different now.  I don't think you were around back in November when this issue was still being explored and understood.  For a long time it was thought that this issue was a software or driver issue.  Time was when it was hard to even convince the service people that there was a real issue, and even if you did convince them to bring your laptop in for repair, they didn't know what to do to fix it (it turns out nothing they could do would fix it anyway).  The problem seemed so vague and hard to precisely describe.  Early on in this difficult time Mark was convinced that this was a problem that needed to be looked into and helped us get the ball rolling.  A lot has changed since then and only recently did Lenovo engineers actually successfully reproduce the issue and pinpoint what was causing it, thereby finding a solution (read Mark's posts again if you didn't catch this).  Now there is a simple and decisive FIX to the problem and it is just a matter "rolling out" the fix to the masses.  Surely you can see that things will move much faster now.  There is a big difference between a nebulous and poorly-understood issue that customers claim to have but has not been substantiated yet by Lenovo engineers, and what we have now, which is a well-understood issue that requires a simple fix.

I see you have been critical of Mark in past posts, but your anger is misplaced.  If anyone has been "on our side" in this issue it has been Mark, so you should direct your anger elsewhere.  I understand your frustration, don't you think I have been annoyed myself?  I actually paid the high price for a fully-loaded T61p back in November, can you imagine my anger when it didn't perform reliably?  However, whatever design flaw caused this issue was the responsibility of some engineer or group of engineers, not Mark.  Mark has been the guy dealing with the fallout of this issue and trying to help get this issue the attention it needed.  Now they actually have a FIX, this should be cause for celebration for T61p owners.

Basically, if Mark says there will be a fix soon, I believe it.  Notice that in the past he never claimed that Lenovo knew what was wrong or had a fix.  He only said they were working on figuring it out.
T61p, T7800 CPU, Nvidia Quadro FX 570M GPU, WSXGA+ LDC, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Intel 4965AGN wireless, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64bit
Options

117 Posts

12-05-2007

Arizona, USA

245 Signins

4200 Page Views

• Message 422 of 938

2008-04-07, 20:22 PM
mast61p, from what we have all seen, the severity of the problem seems to vary from one laptop to the next.  You didn't mention your RAM configuration, if you have only 1 stick of RAM then chances are you will never have any problem at all, but this is no guarantee.  However, if you have 2 sticks of RAM, there is a greater chance of having problems.

For example, I use 2 sticks of RAM and my first T61p was really bad, it would sometimes crash under a heavy load, whether it was gaming or just a program that was CPU and memory intensive.  However, Lenovo replaced this laptop for me and my second one ONLY crashed when I played newer, GPU-intensive games, but not during video rendering or other CPU and RAM intensive activities.

If you run 2 sticks of RAM then I think your best bet is to just put the machine through its paces, use it like you normally would and run your most intensive programs and see if you get crashes.  If you do, the your machine is going to need the fix which will be available soon.  If not, maybe you got lucky and you won't have to bother sending it in.

Mind you, we don't know yet how Lenovo is going to handle this issue, they might encourage you to send it in anyway to get the fix as a preventative measure.  At any rate, you should be fine, if you do have these problems then it should be a simple thing to send it in for the fix, since Lenovo is now aware of this issue and how to fix it. 

My biggest suggestion would be DON'T send it in for repair BEFORE they announce the fix and roll it out to their repair depots.  That is just asking for trouble because right now the repair depots don't know how to fix the problem.  If you do need to send it in wait for Lenovo to get the fix deployed and available through their repair channels.  i
T61p, T7800 CPU, Nvidia Quadro FX 570M GPU, WSXGA+ LDC, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Intel 4965AGN wireless, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64bit
Options

27 Posts

12-21-2007

Czech Republic

273 Signins

1067 Page Views

• Views: 1067
  • Message 423 of 938

2008-04-08, 8:14 AM
"Hi, I just ordered my t61p last monday and today got an e-mail saying it had shipped. After reading the messages here I am concerned! I use AutoCAD for drawing and basic rendering. I also play with Pinnacle studio. No real games. I ordered a T9300, win XP, nvidia quadro fx 570m (256), & 3gb ram.
Should I be concerned? Is this problem just with intensive games?"

Yesterday we received new Thinkpad 6460-D8G (T9300(2.5GHz), 2x2GB RAM, 256MB nVIDIA Quadro FX 570M) and this model is not affected by these issues.

Message Edited by pavelz on 04-08-2008 05:05 PM
T570
Options

19 Posts

03-13-2008

Los Angeles

34 Signins

393 Page Views

• Views: 393
  • Message 424 of 938

2008-04-08, 15:00 PM
Do you have ONE memory module?  or TWO?

Options

27 Posts

12-21-2007

Czech Republic

273 Signins

1067 Page Views

• Views: 1067
  • Message 425 of 938

2008-04-08, 15:05 PM
Sorry I forgot. Of course there are two memory modules 2x2GB
T570
Options

19 Posts

03-13-2008

Los Angeles

34 Signins

393 Page Views

• Views: 393
  • Message 426 of 938

2008-04-08, 15:24 PM
Okay.    It should be interesting to see how many new orders have this problem, or not.  Why is Lenovo WAITING to give us all an answer with the FIX for this problem?!?!  If its been figured out, the information should be released!

Whats the fix?!
Options

4 Posts

04-08-2008

Connecticut

23 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 427 of 938

2008-04-08, 16:23 PM
I've been looking for a laptop for my son for school and to play games, hopefully more school work than games ( yeah right), It was between dell and t61p. I bought the t61p online on sat. based on other forums and issues with dell. I hope I did the right thing. The spec's are

T9300 2.5 processor
3 gigs of ram
160 gig 7200 H.D
15.4 wsxga LCD
Quadro fx 570 of course
Intel 4965 AGN Wireless
Bluetooth
Intergrated wireless WAN no provider chosen just because there was no charge for it
Wireless personal area network for future use I guess
Vista home 32

Do you think were going to have the issues brought up on this thread with using both ram slots?

Also I've read a few posts of people moding the video drivers so the performance is that of a 8600GT  does anyone have any comments on this driver and if it's been working or creating more of a problem. I havent been able to find exactly what the performance difference is betten the stock lenovo driver and this mod.

Thanks in advance
 Evan a new member of the forum

Options

8 Posts

01-29-2008

Cambridge, MA

50 Signins

337 Page Views

• Views: 337
  • Message 428 of 938

2008-04-08, 16:31 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been waiting for many months now for a way to fix this problem.  I haven't been keeping track of the thread: are we at the stage where I can send my laptop in through the usual warranty process and get it fixed?  Are the repair people informed of this problem?
Options

37 Posts

03-03-2008

USA

131 Signins

845 Page Views

• Views: 845
  • Message 429 of 938

2008-04-08, 20:21 PM
iostream, as far as I know we are in a waiting mode.  Mark_Lenovo said that they have reproduced the issue, know what causes it and are working on a fix (or perhaps have a fix and need to work on how to distribute it).  Others have said that when they called Lenovo the tech/customer support did not know of the issue.  So, I would not send it in yet.

To another poster... no one knows how many machines or what percent of machines this affects.  It's anyone's guess.  All I know is that there is an issue and it's not an isolated incident since many people have reported it.  Some people think it might be more widespread than it appears since the T61p is not marketed toward playing games and that is where the issue seems to occur most.

Drivers, at least for me for the ones I've tried, do not fix the issue at all.  Games may play better with different drivers performance-wise but still crash/bsod/shutdown/freeze.

The only solution I know of is to use just 1 dimm and that has been working for me perfectly.
Options

117 Posts

12-05-2007

Arizona, USA

245 Signins

4200 Page Views

• Message 430 of 938

2008-04-08, 22:08 PM
I think it's exciting, some of us have been dealing with this issue for a long time on our T61's, to finally have a fix on the horizon is awesome! 

I dunno about you guys, but even WITH this problem, my T61P has been an awesome machine, it's like my copilot, I take it everywhere.  I don't know what I would do without it! 
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)