Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

45 Posts

01-25-2008

Superior, WI

70 Signins

796 Page Views

• Views: 796
  • Message 431 of 938

Re: T61P Graphic problems--random shut down, BSOD, Crash

2008-04-08, 22:18 PM
Hellbore, Now that's the positive spirit we all need!
Options

19 Posts

03-13-2008

Los Angeles

34 Signins

393 Page Views

• Views: 393
  • Message 432 of 938

2008-04-08, 23:38 PM
"I think it's exciting, some of us have been dealing with this issue for a long time on our T61's, to finally have a fix on the horizon is awesome! 

I dunno about you guys, but even WITH this problem, my T61P has been an awesome machine, it's like my copilot, I take it everywhere.  I don't know what I would do without it! "

"Thats the positive spirit!"

Positive spirit?!  Do you guys WORK for Lenovo?  WTF?

This issue has gone for too long. 

Who exactly at Lenovo is working on this issue.  I want to talk to them on the phone.

Whats the cause, solution, and the fix Mark?

-GR
Options

45 Posts

01-25-2008

Superior, WI

70 Signins

796 Page Views

• Views: 796
  • Message 433 of 938

2008-04-08, 23:59 PM
I was implying sarcasm... :smileytongue:
Options

117 Posts

12-05-2007

Arizona, USA

245 Signins

4200 Page Views

• Views: 4200
  • Message 434 of 938

2008-04-09, 1:02 AM
You waited this long, and you are getting angry NOW?  Now, when they actually have the solution and they are in the process of rolling it out?

You waited like 5 months, and now at the last leg of the race, when Lenovo is on the verge of announcing the fix, you are going to pitch a fit?

My philosophy is, you waited this long, give them a tiny bit more time to handle this the right way!  There is a load of people who are going to want this fix and dealing with them is going to take an organized approach, they can't do this haphazardly or rush it out without following proper procedures.  Think about it.

GammaRay - Who exactly do you want to talk to?  The engineers who found the solution?  You may not be aware of this but Lenovo is a very large company and engineers don't talk to the public.  That's just laughable.  They are ENGINEERS not customer service reps.  Lenovo sells millions of Thinkpads and you think that you, one customer, can hold the engineers accountable for talking to every dissatisfied customer?  Mark is your best bet if you want someone to talk to, he has been VERY helpful to us in case you forgot.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and get some perspective here.  You all have your own versions of what you THINK happened.  Now I'm going to tell you what DID happen.  There was a problem that affected a small segment of owners of one particular laptop model out of all the models they sell.  We voiced our concerns, Lenovo listened, with our help and cooperation they put their engineers to work, obtained some of the laptops that were having this problem, REPRODUCED the issue, analyzed it, FOUND why it was happening, and came up with a solution to the problem, which they are now preparing to make available to the public.  This process took place in a period of maybe 4 months or less.  ALL of this information has been conveyed to us through Mark's posts on this thread! 

What would you have done differently?  What COULD they have done differently?  You want someone to wave a magic wand and magically fix the problem?  Do you realized some companies faced with an issue like this never solve the problem?  Do you really think Dell or HP would have done this faster?  Do you understand the challenges involved?  Do you think they would have communicated with us as much as Lenovo has?  Have you ever seen Dell or HP employees posting status updates on a forum for their customers to read about, or maintaining this close of a communication with the customer base online?  THINK about it! 

Message Edited by Hellbore on 04-08-2008 06:15 PM
T61p, T7800 CPU, Nvidia Quadro FX 570M GPU, WSXGA+ LDC, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Intel 4965AGN wireless, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64bit
Options

19 Posts

03-13-2008

Los Angeles

34 Signins

393 Page Views

• Views: 393
  • Message 435 of 938

2008-04-09, 5:40 AM
"What would you have done differently?  What COULD they have done differently?  You want someone to wave a magic wand and magically fix the problem?  Do you realized some companies faced with an issue like this never solve the problem?  Do you really think Dell or HP would have done this faster?  Do you understand the challenges involved?  Do you think they would have communicated with us as much as Lenovo has?  Have you ever seen Dell or HP employees posting status updates on a forum for their customers to read about, or maintaining this close of a communication with the customer base online?  THINK about it!"

I'm not talking about Dell or HP.  I'm talking about Lenovo.

Mark says a solution has been found, and the source of the problem has been identified.

If this is true, what is it?

What is the cause, solution, and fix Mark?

-GR

Options

88 Posts

03-13-2008

Warsaw, Poland

1222 Signins

3022 Page Views

• Views: 3022
  • Message 436 of 938

2008-04-09, 9:25 AM
Come one, guys, both of you are right.

There's no other option but to wait. GammaRay, if you're deeply dissatisfied with Lenovo's handling of this problem, you have every right to turn to comptetitors. And I would personally applaud such an approach, because Lenovo is having a free ride here, because the T61p doesn not actually have a fully comparable competitor - yet. So they can get away with keeping us uninformed here, because our other options are either to buy the slightly inferior (my opinion) HP, or wait (as with T61p) for the new Dell. (models mentioned by me previously in this thread)

Hellborne's suggestion that there's no-one to talk to is misleading. Of course, we don't want to bother the engineers, but there's no doubt there's a manager at some level that is responsible of handling of this issue as a whole (finding problem, fixing, pushing through delivery chains, informing the public) and we feel that this manager should be held responsible for what we see as mishandling.

What would I do differently?
Assuming that on the engineering side (find & fix) everything has been done as fast as possible (which I'm hesitant to believie) I would at least point to the lack of communication with the customers, most notably users of this forums. There's no reason not to tell us "guys, the fixed T61ps will be in stores by end of April" (or June, or November :smileytongue:), instead of leading us by the nose with phrases like "just a little longer".

Now, I agree it maybe very unjust to put the blame on Mark, because he's just a messenger, but maybe he could be at least a two-way messenger and pass our feelings and expectations to the management of Lenovo. I know it's slightly naive to assume it would have any influence on them, but sometimes I like to think that they actually give a **bleep** care about their customers. :smileytongue:
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23525 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 437 of 938

2008-04-09, 12:26 PM
Axure wrote:
Now, I agree it maybe very unjust to put the blame on Mark, because he's just a messenger, but maybe he could be at least a two-way messenger and pass our feelings and expectations to the management of Lenovo. I know it's slightly naive to assume it would have any influence on them, but sometimes I like to think that they actually give a **bleep** care about their customers.
:smileytongue:

1) Watch your language.

2)  What makes you think Mark and the others aren't reporting what they hear here back to sr management?

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23525 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 438 of 938

2008-04-09, 12:30 PM
GammaRay wrote:
Mark says a solution has been found, and the source of the problem has been identified.

If this is true, what is it?

What is the cause, solution, and fix Mark?

Repeating this on a daily basis in an increasingly shrill tone is unproductive and is just going to get your messages deleted as duplicates.  There's no reason to clutter up this thread with them.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

117 Posts

12-05-2007

Arizona, USA

245 Signins

4200 Page Views

• Views: 4200
  • Message 439 of 938

2008-04-09, 13:11 PM
Well I have to agree on one thing, that it would be nice if they went ahead and announced exactly what the problem was as soon as they found it.  We would all love to know exactly what was going on all the time.  Heck if given the option, I would like a webcam with audio feed monitoring every Lenovo employee so I can see what everyone is doing :)

There must be some reason for not doing it this way though right?  I'm not a businessman nor do I play one on TV, but I know some people put a lot of brain power into figuring out these types of public relations issues.  There is probably a good reason Lenovo hasn't announced these details.  Would it even help us to know the details of the problem if Lenovo hasn't made the fix available yet?  I mean, it would satisfy curiosity, but couldn't it also just stir things up more?  There might even be legal reasons for not making this information public record before a fix is available.  Just guessing... 

Whatever the reason, I doubt that it's a matter of anyone not doing their job or any malicious reasons.  I think it's safe to say that Lenovo wants their customers to be happy, happy customers spend more money :)

Message Edited by Hellbore on 04-09-2008 06:15 AM
T61p, T7800 CPU, Nvidia Quadro FX 570M GPU, WSXGA+ LDC, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Intel 4965AGN wireless, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64bit
Options

88 Posts

03-13-2008

Warsaw, Poland

1222 Signins

3022 Page Views

• Views: 3022
  • Message 440 of 938

2008-04-09, 13:20 PM
Nonny, so you say, he's taking it to the management and they tell him to tell us to wait "a little longer"? Ah, so now we know whom to blame! :smileywink:   The bad word that forums cut automatically was just "d@mn" - and I crossed it out myself! :smileywink:

Hellborne, I don't think it's malice - I think it's negligence. And preference to err on the side of not enough rather than too much. But that's not what customers want. And while providing too much information on the tech problem itself might be legally problematic, giving a rough date (e.g. "by end of April" ) when to expect the fixed T61p in shops ought not be a problem. Unless you don't want to hurt your current "broken" T61p sales, but that's putting company's profits over customers and it might cost Lenovo in the long run. (No accusations here, just pure speculation. You know, lack of information leaves room for imagination. :smileytongue:)

OK guys, I think everything has already been said and indeed there's no need to reiterate the same questions and complaints. The bottom line is - Lenovo knows what their customers think, so whatever their reaction is, it's not because they didn't realize what their customers expected.

Let's see what happens next and instead of expressing our discontent for the 10th time we should rather base our purchase decisions on it.

Message Edited by Axure on 04-09-2008 04:37 PM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)