Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

04-01-2008

Nova Scotia, Canada

49 Signins

830 Page Views

• Views: 830
  • Message 441 of 938

Re: T61P Graphic problems--random shut down, BSOD, Crash

2008-04-09, 13:48 PM
I'm not going to say people do not have the right to be justly upset, it is a very likely I will feel the same way when I recieve my own Thinkpad next week, and despite what follows, I am not trying to be Mr. High and Mighty, but merely contemplative. I too am guilty of my own hypocrisy; nonetheless.

The anger in this thread is disturbing and misplaced. If only people got so heated and involved in fighting issues like poverty instead of complaining about high-class laptops that over 70% of the world population can not afford. I realize how easy it is to become distracted and motivated in our (quite recently) advanced culture - the rat race one could say. Our standards have elevated very quickly and dramatically in short periods of time; however, please consider how lucky all of us are to even be in the position to own such a magnificent, mind-blowing piece of technology. Unfortuantely, human beings interact with the world much like drugs, repeated stimulus over time inevitably leads to a diminished response. Sometimes it is necessary to step back a level, abstract ourselves and realize, our lives - when viewed through fresh eyes - nears overwhelming.
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 442 of 938

2008-04-09, 13:39 PM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

22 Posts

03-09-2008

Russia

67 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 443 of 938

2008-04-09, 17:11 PM
My 2 cent's. I'm learn english in school and so sorry for my english. Before t61, i have t22, t30. They work perfect. No bsod, no noting. I was happy. Then i buy t61. And im in frustration now. Every day i read this forum. Every day i check system upgrade. My work is halted. Service center in my small city is not. And the problem i think in video card. I think memory of video card is broken. I tested system when 1 dimm installed, when 2 dimm installed. And i have bsod. No matter 1 or 2. I still waiting... for wonder, for new bios.
ThinkPad T61
T7500(2.2GHz), 3GB RAM (2+1), 160GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1440x900 LCD, 128MB nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M Windows XP SP2 32 bit
Options

8 Posts

01-29-2008

Cambridge, MA

50 Signins

337 Page Views

• Views: 337
  • Message 444 of 938

2008-04-09, 19:31 PM
the fact that i've been waiting over _six months_ for a fix makes me irate.  my warranty expires in august.  will my warranty expire before the fix comes out?  what does my warranty mean if the repairmen can't fix my problem?  you say there's a fix coming soon, but that's what we were told in february!

don't get me wrong: i love the build quality of my thinkpad.  the processing power is exactly what i need.  i'm a theoretical physicist: i don't even need the graphics capabilities to do my job: i just play video games in my free time.  but, when i spend two thousand dollars on a machine -- that's three months of rent at MIT -- there's the expectation that any problems that arise will be dealt with in a timely manner.  i'm not mad that there was a problem in the first place.  no production process is perfect.  i'm angry that more hasn't been done to resolve this faster.

thinkpads are by far the most common laptop here at MIT, which ought to make lenovo/ibm proud, as we're one of the premier centers for science and technology in the whole world.  you guys really are world class!  all my colleagues and friends have t40's or t60's or the thinkpad ultraportables, and so on.  when i bought my machine, it was under their advice.  they told me that my laptop would be built exceptionally well, and that it would last for a long, long time -- longer than the usual cheapo brands.  they are aghast that something like this fiasco has happened.  lenovo/ibm is clearly dropping the ball here.

i hope mark or some other lenovo official will help me out _now_.  i will not tolerate waiting much longer for a fix for this, and i cannot afford to send my laptop over and over again to the depot, only to find that the problem is not resolved.  i want the assurance that when i send my laptop for repair, it will work exactly as advertised when i get it back.  you guys are about to lose me as a customer, and i am certain that i am not alone.
Options

27 Posts

03-31-2008

Holland

177 Signins

956 Page Views

• Views: 956
  • Message 445 of 938

2008-04-09, 23:58 PM
Well put! For me it's hard to believe this is taking you four months. i mean common... no fix is taking 4 months if some1 is looking at it.

Message Edited by StevenBrouwer on 04-10-2008 01:59 AM
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 446 of 938

2008-04-10, 1:18 AM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

146 Posts

03-31-2008

California

736 Signins

3660 Page Views

• Views: 3660
  • Message 447 of 938

2008-04-10, 4:03 AM
To StevenBrouwer, et al.

What would you do if you were Lenovo and had found the cause, which using an educated guess and based on a few responses here, they likely they have.  If it indeed was a driver or firmware fix, I am sure it would have been properly tested to have been promptly put out (another educated guess) given that new TP's appear within two months of Intel annoucing a new Centrino chipset, GPU, etc (past history would suggest this).  If, however, the problem was in hardware (darn) and required removal of some MoBo component (eeks!) and was soldered on (yikes!!), do you do a computer recall?

Consider some other examples: Intel's Pentium chip was found to have a math calculation bug a decade ago -- does everyone send in their PC's and does Intel honor to give them a new chip for free??  Automotive recalls costs manf billions of dollars, and the only reason they do it is because of human safety.  This was the same reason Sony suffered so much due their exploding laptop batteries - safety, and the recall hurt them plenty.

Considering I just bought a 14.1" T61p with 4GB and turbo memory despite thoroughly reviewing both BSOD problems for an amazing price - one upon which Lenovo made maybe a 15% margin (another educated guess) on, I doubt they'd have money left over to do a recall, and much less expose problems that could preclude sales.  And unless I going to lose my eyesight due to the BSOD or experience some other health related problem, I highly doubt anything will happen.

I'm not a pessimist, just a realist, and I am really happy I just got a good deal on the T61p!
Options

27 Posts

03-31-2008

Holland

177 Signins

956 Page Views

• Views: 956
  • Message 448 of 938

2008-04-10, 9:17 AM
I don't care about the financial perspectif of lenovo. I care about mine. I paid a lot money for this laptop, but in the end I should have bought a cheaper dell vostro that would just work. They don't have to do a complete recall. Since we don't know how much users are affected with this.

My problem that they don't communicate properly.  We are getting told by someone that  we have wait a bit longer all the time, without giving us proof (progress/information) that anything is seriously being done.

I think someone has made a **bleep** up and now he is postphoning it hoping the problem will pass way.

I have this problem for over three weeks. I should have just send it in for motherboard replacement and have it back by now. But I didn't because a fix would be on it's way. But it still isn't there.
Options

117 Posts

12-05-2007

Arizona, USA

245 Signins

4200 Page Views

• Views: 4200
  • Message 449 of 938

2008-04-10, 14:18 PM
"I have this problem for over three weeks."

LOL... 3 weeks?  My first depot repair took almost that long.  Trust me you do not need to send your laptop in for repair right now and have them not know how to fix it.  You will be much happier if you wait for the real fix.

Don't forget the depot is a separate company and until Lenovo tells them how to fix this properly, they just try stuff like replacing the motherboard, which is hit and miss, it has helped some people while others have gotten multiple motherboard replacements and still had the problem.  The real fix is worth waiting for, you want to get it right the first time :)

Message Edited by Hellbore on 04-10-2008 07:22 AM
T61p, T7800 CPU, Nvidia Quadro FX 570M GPU, WSXGA+ LDC, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD, Intel 4965AGN wireless, 1GB Intel Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64bit
Options

52 Posts

12-13-2007

USA

442 Signins

6029 Page Views

• Views: 6029
  • Message 450 of 938

2008-04-10, 14:55 PM

Hellbore is right.

Wait for the real fix...it's not worth the headache much less the down time of having multiple fixes or repairs sessions.

Trust me...I hope it's simple as software...i.e. bios + drivers   

letting go of my laptop is the last thing I really need to send it in. :(  Ho Humm.

They must be close to announcement I hope since I'm one of the first here to post about the problem since October 2007.  lol 

I just don't understand why even the T61p  Troubleshooting page doesn't mention this as a known problem yet... at least state something officially.

T61P - 6459-CTO - T7500 2.2Ghz - 4G DDR2 RAM - NV Quadro FX 570M 256mb - 160G 7200 rpm - WSXGA+ 15.4" - Vista Ultimate 32bit
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms