Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

04-26-2008

Australia

6 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 721 of 938

Re: T61P Graphic problems--random shut down, BSOD, Crash

2008-07-25, 4:33 AM
you mean 44C3931 right?
Options

17 Posts

05-19-2008

Montreal, QC

56 Signins

321 Page Views

• Views: 321
  • Message 722 of 938

2008-07-25, 20:49 PM

I'm getting extremely tired of this issue.
I just got my laptop back from the local certified partner of Lenovo with the right planar this time, however 2 hours later computer started to shut off like if it was a thermal shut off.
I'm waiting for Lenovo representative to contact me since I'm through sending it for repairs.
I don’t think it's normal sending it 3 times for repairs and every time it's getting worse.
Over all it's been a horrible experience so far.

Hopefully I can simply exchange the laptop since I lost all the confidence that this machine will ever get repaired.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 723 of 938

2008-07-25, 21:09 PM

IamJack,

Good catch. :smileywink: Fixed it !   transposed the digits and just didn't see it.  Spell check missed it too...  :smileyvery-happy:

manelmontenegro

As evidenced by some of the comments on this thread and certainly, more broadly throughout the internet, customers are asking companies to be more transparent - to talk openly and plainly about issues which affect the company and the customers.   A company can only be as open as it's community will allow.

If the expressed reaction to open discussion of issues is to move to other product lines, or even other vendors, then transparency is not safe, and can not be sustained..  

Dev-

I would agree - can you send me PM with your contact and case information?  If the right part has been put in, you won't have the same issue.  You may well have a thermal issue - if the heat sinks and heat pipes are not properly installed with thermal grease and aligned with the GPU and or CPU, you could have a thermal issue.

Sorry for the additional aggrevation !

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 07-25-2008 02:13 PM
Options

13 Posts

12-19-2007

Germany

27 Signins

238 Page Views

• Views: 238
  • Message 724 of 938

2008-07-26, 8:47 AM

Hi guys,

here's a little update from me. 

What has happened so far:

in 07/12 I informed Lenovo that the thinkpad is not working as supposed.

in 08/01 Lenovo tried to fix the problem by replacing the memory modules

in 08/05 Lenovo replaced the mainboard - they replaced it in the wrong way, same problem still exists

in 08/06 Lenovo replaced the mainboard again - this time it seemed to work, but the laptop got sent back damaged

in 08/07 Lenovo fixes the new damages (not yet returned)

The worst part was, that after Lenovo returned the laptop in 08/06 damaged, I had to take a lot of pictures of the laptop, the damaged parts and the packaging. This week an employee from the repair depot called me, telling me that they couldn't find any damage. This happened obviously because the pictures I took were not passed to the repair depot. From my point of view this means that I just had to be kept busy.

At Marc: Marc, from my point of view, you were the only one at lenovo, taking this issue serious. The Lenovo support I had contact made me feel like it tried to hold me on line forever (sucessfully for 8 month now). My understanding is, that a lot of people here are threatening with buying other vendors out of pure frustration. They post threats here, because they obviously feel that the are not taken seriously as a customer. From my point of view, Lenovo should have replaced the laptop already in January, because there were enough clues pointing out that the repair process could take this long. A replacement at that time would from my point of view have been the better alternative with respect to customer satisfaction. We all would be happy now and this thread would have been closed at page 5.

Instead, in the last 2 month my laptop always was either at mail, in the repair center, or in testing at my place. Is this the right way? I experienced this as a nightmare...

When my Laptop will return from the depot, I will intensly check it and report again.

Greetings,

st.

Message Edited by stonie on 07-26-2008 01:48 AM
Message Edited by stonie on 07-26-2008 02:17 AM
Options

15 Posts

07-27-2008

South Africa

17 Signins

171 Page Views

• Views: 171
  • Message 725 of 938

2008-07-27, 18:05 PM

After getting problems with crysis (not responding, but safely able to end process) and 3mark, i came across this post, read every single **bleep** page (me eyes hurt now), and decided to open up my t61p to check the planar. Unless my brain got fizzled by the past 70 pages, i assume the "FRU" is the planar "number". Im now angry/worried because I have no such sticker!!!!! All i have is a sticker on the mac address (which i have another on the underside) and another sticker with a series of letters and numbers, nothing remotely resembling the short sharp 7 characters shown here or on that MIGR thing. Ok so now im a bit panicky, is there another place i can look for my planar number? I have tried the BIOS and using the auto-detect function on the Lenovo supports page but the BIOS doesnt show anything close to the 7 characters and the lenovo auto-detect gives me:

System details

Machine type/model:Unkn-own

Serial number:  Unknown

BIOS version: Unable to Open File: '\IbmEgath.XML'

Operating system:  Windows 6.0 Professional

Operating system version:  6.00

Total memory:  Unable to Open File: '\IbmEgath.XML'

Really, really need help.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. My actual keyboard keys have got incorrect symbols printed on them. My @ has been switched with the ". Is this like a mass production error which i need to just accept or can i get it changed? Obviously im not sending in my laptop for such a small inconvenience.

Edit: I have everything possible up to date and working.
Message Edited by Mystic on 07-27-2008 12:08 PM
Options

15 Posts

07-27-2008

South Africa

17 Signins

171 Page Views

• Message 726 of 938

2008-07-28, 11:56 AM
bump
Options

17 Posts

05-19-2008

Montreal, QC

56 Signins

321 Page Views

• Views: 321
  • Message 727 of 938

2008-07-28, 15:25 PM

Mystic,

The FRU number sticker for the planar is usually located under the memory sticks.

Another way to look it up is to go on the following page, this will show you the original parts of your system:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=%2Fpartslookup%2FpartsLookup.vm&sitestyle=lenovo

As for the Crysis did you get nvidia display driver nvlddmkm.sys has stopped working... or bsod ?

Could be something else if you didn't...

Dev_ 

Options

15 Posts

07-27-2008

South Africa

17 Signins

171 Page Views

• Message 728 of 938

2008-07-28, 16:31 PM

@ dev: I can sadly say that yes i have checked under the ram slots, thats where my mac address and weird long character stickers are located. Printed onto the planar is the heading "FRU" but alas, no FRU number is in the rectangular printed box. I have also tried the link you have given me and am told that "my parts look up is not found". My model is 64608TG and my serial number starts off with L3HXXXX.

I contacted Lenovo and was told that my FRU number is located "in a place inaccessible by the customer and the laptop needs to be totally broken down to reach". 

Message Edited by Mystic on 07-28-2008 09:34 AM
Options

37 Posts

03-03-2008

USA

131 Signins

845 Page Views

• Views: 845
  • Message 729 of 938

2008-07-28, 19:57 PM

This is a little off-topic, but Mark, do you know if the recent Nvidia issues are related to this issue?  Is Lenovo looking into it?  They sound awfully similar in symptoms and cause.

Also, I see so many support issues in this thread.  Is this something Lenovo is looking into or are these issues to be expected?  Do you have any advice on how to talk to support when dealing with this issue to make sure a laptop gets serviced correctly?

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 730 of 938

2008-07-28, 23:31 PM

Mystic,

Please send me a PM with your model and serial number, I'll look up the build information on your system and should be able to advise you on the system board.

Webdtc,

Short answer, no I don't think the Nvidia issues being discussed were interelated to this particular issue.  I am seeing some of the support issues surfaced here.   Fair question on how to engage support.   There are a couple points I want to look into internally, and then let me come back with an update here rather than just winging something now.   Give me a day or two on that.

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms