Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

09-08-2008

New Mexico

36 Signins

256 Page Views

• Views: 256
  • Message 791 of 938

Re: T61P Graphic problems--random shut down, BSOD, Crash

2008-09-08, 21:44 PM

HI all,

I have the problem Mobo and NVIDIA card as described in the MIGR and per Lenovo's listing of my system build. I went to physically verify this by looking under the memory cards and have the blank FRU box with no label. I have the 2 sticks of RAM w/ 1G each.

On 8/22 while working some graphics intensive tasks, I got the BSOD and had to re-start the system.  I Kept working without a repeat incident. Then on Moday 8/25 BOOM! the hard drive failed. No boot up, no recovery through Thinkvantage Technologies RnR, nothing. I faithfully used the Thinkvantage back-up utilities to back-up my files on the preload partition.

I spoke to the main tech folks and told them what happened went through some basic trouble shooting and was referred to data recovery. I sent out the drive. Their quote for recovering the data is expensive. Data recovery says the drive is physically damaged.

Told Lenovo tech and a replacement drive is on the way with a 30 day service tag.

Is it possible that the BSOD incident had something to do with the hard drive failing? I know that warranty is for hardware failures, but even though I used the back-up utilities  I'm guessing I am stuck with the data recovery bill. Is that right?

Options

17 Posts

05-19-2008

Montreal, QC

56 Signins

321 Page Views

• Views: 321
  • Message 792 of 938

2008-09-09, 2:11 AM

Just got the laptop back, and tried to run crysis as it seems to be the game that would show really quick if the issue persist or not.

Computer just shuts off like if u would hold the power button, but you can't turn it back on, you have to unplug it and remove the battery to be able to power it on again. Once it crashed it keeps crashing (shutting off) in window, bios, when loading windows, with battery only, with ac only or on a docking station (tried all kind of variations). I never sent the docking station or the battery to the depot with the laptop though, I'm not sure if that could be faulty and contribute to the problem. but frankly at this point i don't care...

Original issue was the one that's described here (bsod, memory parity errors etc.) sent laptop twice for that... after 2d time I have that shutting off issue.

and now that I got it back (4th time) it's doing it again... what a nightmare! I'm screaming for help here I'm sick and tired of this.

I asked for a refund or a different model today via email... I hope to get a positive answer or better yet positive results...

If we wouldn't have another t60 (not t61p though..) at the office that just works I would insist on a refund but I just need a machine that I've paid for...

Dev

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 793 of 938

2008-09-09, 2:18 AM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 794 of 938

2008-09-09, 2:41 AM

Dev_

I've know you've been on this thread a while and it seems like you've had a string of bad luck which I simply can't rationalize.  Sorry to hear it has worked out this way.

Please do escalate your situation, and if you feel it is stuck, I'll try to lend a hand.  You can send me your particulars again via PM - contact, name, address, phone, MT/Serial, and your recent service case number.   Do escalate through normal channels first, but I know you've been supportive and worked with us, so I'm ready to help as needed.

NMPeter,

Alas, no, Lenovo is not responsible for lost data.   The underlying issue with the graphics / dual dimm issue should not have impacted the HDD.  Bad luck that the HDD should fail following service or other work related to this graphics / dual dimm issue.   Recovery of your data really depends as to whether it's the electronics on your drive which failed, or the mechanism.  In the case of the latter you are probably going to have to go to a drive recover center.  If it's just the former, I'm not going to suggest this as a course of action, but ...

If you have another drive of the same type and model and you carefully switch over the electronics board from the good drive to the bad drive, many times you can restore your old drive working well enough to read off your data to other media.   That would not be a Lenovo recommendation, and I could not even personally make that recommendation in your case since I haven't seen how your particular drive is assembled or know your particular level of experience, tools, and inclination to try to resolve yourself.  

Others might have some futher suggestions if you were to post seperately about ideas for recovering your data....

Jin_Ftw,

The information in the Tip should be sufficient to aid you in contacting service.  To be clear, there is only need to contact service if your have or are experiencing these symptoms - this is not a proactive service measure to guard against the possibility of encountering this issue at a possible future time.

Mark

Options

14 Posts

07-26-2008

Québec, Qc, Canada

24 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 795 of 938

2008-09-09, 2:54 AM

To mods: This is not trolling. In Quebec, our legal system is quite different and consummers have many rights not available elsewhere in Canada or USA. Calling for cooperation is ironic at this point, given that _dev has done everything a consummer should be expected to do, and then some.

Note from Moderator:  Content prohibited by forum rules removed.

Message Edited by nonny on 09-08-2008 11:17 PM
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 796 of 938

2008-09-09, 3:14 AM

slorion wrote:

To mods: This is not trolling. In Quebec, our legal system is quite different and consummers have many rights not available elsewhere in Canada or USA. Calling for cooperation is ironic at this point, given that _dev has done everything a consummer should be expected to do, and then some.

This has nothing to do with Canada's legal system.  It has to do with participating in a privately-owned forum whose rules you agreed to abide by when you registered.

Message Edited by nonny on 09-08-2008 11:17 PM

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

17 Posts

05-19-2008

Montreal, QC

56 Signins

321 Page Views

• Message 797 of 938

2008-09-19, 20:34 PM

Mark_Lenovo,

The situation unchanged.

However at the beginning of last week I spoke to a rep. and he said that I may be receiving a replacement, but he will have to check whether the model is available...(Think that rep is on vacations since I alway get his voicemail this week...)

I'm still waiting for that confirmation... hopefully Monday I'll get positive news, but here at the office it's a running gag that I'll ever get this issue solved... some people sugested that I should contact Quebec's customer protection.. I really dont want to go that way, but I guess I will have no choice if it wont resolve this month..

I will PM you my information to you next week if I don't hear from him.

Thank you,

Dev_

Options

17 Posts

05-19-2008

Montreal, QC

56 Signins

321 Page Views

• Message 798 of 938

2008-09-28, 22:21 PM

Update:

It's finally over! Technician came on site, changed the planar board again (note that the one that was in laptop was  42W7653...) I don't remember the number on the planar that tech. put in, but it didn't strike me as those that potentially had the issue. I've tested it over the weekends and so far no issues at all.

Thank you Mark, and everyone on this forum for help and advises.

Regards,

Dev_

Options

10 Posts

04-26-2008

UAE

32 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 799 of 938

2008-10-11, 0:01 AM

Hello Mark_Lenovo

I seek some advice from you.i bought my t61p while i was in US but then i traveled to United Arab Emirates.and this is where im living now.my t61p has the planar fru of FRU 42w7877 which needs replacement also i have some other problems with my machine which needs repair under warranty.unfortuantely there is no IWS support in UAE and i have to ship it to malaysia to one of my close friends so that it could be repaired there but before that i need to have my questions answered.is the motherboard replacement program still valid?and is it also valid in malaysia hopefuly?(the machine is still in warranty,t61p,6459CTO)

shall I include the hard disk and the battery and all the cords?i have some important data on my HDD which i prefer not to ship it with the device and the device doesnt turn on so that i transfer my files.so is it possible no to include th HDD and ship it to malaysia for repair?

I have been watching this thread for a long time.i thank you for the efforts to make us happy lenovo customers. im looking forward for your kind and fast reply.

Options

1 Posts

10-11-2008

france

3 Signins

11 Page Views

• Views: 11
  • Message 800 of 938

2008-10-11, 7:14 AM

hi all,

I really need your help, in fact I have the same problem as satellite except that i'm in france And I can't send my laptop to a friend who would live in a country with IWS.

So, is it possible to replace the defective parts myself ? ( I'm not too bad in electronics, and I have experts friends)

If no, what can I do? Are there technical center in Europe which can fix the problem?

Thank you for your attention, I Really need help, my laptop is crashing very fast as soon as I'm in the situation of 3D app + lot a memory used.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms