Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

180 Posts

10-26-2008

louisburg, nc

1069 Signins

5104 Page Views

• Views: 5104
  • Message 821 of 938

Re: T61P Graphic problems--random shut down, BSOD, Crash

2008-11-30, 21:08 PM
if it ain't broke..... i would imagine when the warranty is over it's over. if you're only using 1 dimm you may not ever have a problem, especially if you're not gaming. if it were mine i would not send it back. that said i had my board replaced. twice. the first board was bad and the battery wouldn't charge.  the guy that replaced it broke the hinge holding the lcd and the bezel around the keyboard and the one with the fingerprint reader. he also left out a few screws. your new board will probably not be "new". the one you have is. too much of a crap shoot to risk it if you don't have any problems now. it took several tries, 5 i think, to finally get mine fixed.
Options

12 Posts

12-09-2007

NY

55 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 822 of 938

2008-12-01, 23:04 PM

I am pretty angry and frustrated right now. I just got off the phone with Customer Support, gave them my Case ID number and found out the repair technicians replaced my Planar Card with the EXACT SAME Planar Card type, that was documented and confirmed by Lenovo and Mark_Lenovo to be faulty (FRU# 42W7653). 

Ok, that error/mistake/whatever might be understandable except that I had very clearly documented my problem and referenced the Tech Document MIGR-69684 (Hell, I even printed out the **bleep** thing and shipped it to them with the laptop). I typed a one-page, concise note to the repair technicians telling them exactly what I needed from them (which they failed to do). I even printed out Mark_Lenovo's forum post (marked as the Final Solution to the issue) that told us:

wrote:

All,

I am marking this post as the solution for this thread as it needs to be solved at some point, and I believe we have the part logistics and now the updated tip to provide a definitive resolution for  all customers who experience this particular issue.  I believe many have already been resolved along the way due to the prior actions.

I'll refer back to my original answer on page 48 of this thread wherein I outlined the symptoms, explained that this is caused by a combination of tolerances and does not affect all systems.

The expanded set of part in the updated tip  proactively encompass the various system board progressions in this product line.  There may be other board numbers in circulation due to other, unrelated changes, and to facilitate our service logistics.

One part number variant not listed specifically in the tip is 42W7653.   This board is in the same series as 42W7877 and service should replace it with 44C3931 to resolve these symptoms.

Mark

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 07-25-2008 01:35 PM

Read direct quote, which was printed out and shipped to Lenovo's repair service: "One part number variant not listed specifically in the tip is 42W7653.   This board is in the same series as 42W7877 and service should replace it with 44C3931 to resolve these symptoms."

I was told by Customer Support my laptop was already shipped out to me. A major fail on Lenovo's part, I can not ship this back to them for a second repair since school/Thanksgiving break has ended. I don't think I can even ship it out until well after January with anticipated delay from Christmas and the New Year. 

I was expecting to have a fast, painless repair since Lenovo has been notified of this issue over a year ago. Hey, maybe when my laptop arrives, it'll have some nice new cracks and dents on the chassis, like others are reporting.

Lenovo, I'd like to work this out with you, please contact me so you can do this repair correctly.

- Jin 

Another Edit: Now my tracking number (copied from Lenovo's repair status page) is not working correctly on UPS.com.  Great. "UPS could not locate the shipment details for your request. Please verify your information and try again later."
Message Edited by jin_ftw on 12-01-2008 03:09 PM
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 823 of 938

2008-12-02, 0:01 AM

Jin_ftw,

Could you send me your depot repair case number so I can look into this?    We no longer have to sub all the way to 44C3931 as there are versions of the 42W7653 board (under a different) part number which can be used.  Service should handle this automatically at this point, so I'm perplexed as to why they would use a 42W7653.

I understand you are frustrated, and with good reason.  Let's try to find out what was actually done, and where your system is and then take appropriate next steps to ensure this is solved.

Thanks for sharing,

Mark

Options

167 Posts

01-08-2008

Central Texas

242 Signins

1576 Page Views

• Views: 1576
  • Message 824 of 938

2008-12-11, 15:41 PM

"I typed a one-page, concise note to the repair technicians telling them exactly what I needed from them (which they failed to do)."

You aren't the only one who has had a Solectron technician ignore written instructions. Evidently they just use them for toilet paper.

"so I'm perplexed as to why they would use a 42W7653."

Simple!! The Selectron technicians are incompetent.

Centex

Options

27 Posts

01-22-2008

Orlando

33 Signins

383 Page Views

• Views: 383
  • Message 825 of 938

2008-12-11, 21:31 PM

Hi all - I wanted update you on what happened with my system.  I sent it in for repair to fix the "shutdown / BSOD" as it seemed the fix was a motherboard replacement (remember this would make it the 3rd time in for repair since I purchased it in Dec 07.

Anyway got it back and they replaced the fan and updated the BIOS. I had a note taped to the unit with the tech article and the mother board part number swap - it was ignored.  I immediately called tech support and had a another box sent.  This time I placed a letter on the bottom of the laptop with a nicely written letter about the fix, the history and my extended warranty purchase.  Anyway I got it back and it works great.  It also fixed a very annoying problem where the sound would "pop" when playing back music.  Hope all is good. Bender

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 826 of 938

2008-12-11, 22:24 PM

Bender,

Thanks for coming back and sharing that! :smileyhappy:

I know you were beating your head on the wall earlier, and I'm very glad to hear that things seem to be working more as we would expect.

Mark

Options

5 Posts

11-25-2008

Oregon

8 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 827 of 938

2008-12-12, 16:35 PM

Hi Mark,

Is there some means, short of reading this entire thread, for me to determine which planar card I have and whether it is affected. Again, my symptoms are very specific and affect both T61p's that I have. While playing GuildWars, the computer will completely power down and require a battery disconnect to be restarted. I was using one of the T61p's successfully with GW, but then experienced a problem that required a motherboard swap and have had the problem ever since.

I just need to know what the remedy protocol is.

Many thanks,

Mel

Options

156 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Views: 2205
  • Message 828 of 938

2008-12-21, 21:04 PM

nonny, there's nothing hostile about the OP's post... he has valid concerns about the well-documented flakiness of the T series machines, and Lenovo's apparent lack of acknowledgement/concern. and i don't think it's appropriate for you to be exerting undue authority over other users of this forum.  you're just a moderator... not a dictator, so please stop behaving like one.

sincerely / francis

ps - i just ordered two T61p systems (before reading this thread, unfortunately)...so now i'm quite concerned.  i may just ship them back unopened also.  btw, the ongoing hardware problems with the T61p might explain why Lenovo discontinued this model so quickly.

pps, i've also had similar planar/gpu problems with my A30p, which is a great machine... when it works.  i think Lenovo has some serious/systemic quality control issues though, ime.

Options

156 Posts

12-17-2008

canada

300 Signins

2205 Page Views

• Views: 2205
  • Message 829 of 938

2008-12-21, 21:11 PM

hear! hear!  i'm glad i'm not the only person who thinks the selectron 'techs' are incompetent boobs.  you wouldn't believe the crap i've gone through with those people.  similar things happened to me... sent A30p for service THREE TIMES... got it back with wrong planar board installed, chassis not put back together right, missing and/or stripped screws, you name it.

Lenovo... get your act together please!

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 830 of 938

2008-12-21, 21:29 PM

techcafe wrote:

nonny, there's nothing hostile about the OP's post... he has valid concerns about the well-documented flakiness of the T series machines, and Lenovo's apparent lack of acknowledgement/concern. and i don't think it's appropriate for you to be exerting undue authority over other users of this forum.  you're just a moderator... not a dictator, so please stop behaving like one.

I have no idea what you are talking about since I don't believe I've ever had to moderate any of snakejw's messages, however I will moderate this thread and any other in the forum where necessary since that is the primary reason I'm here.

If you or any other member of the forum do not choose to adhere to the Community Rules of Participation to which you agreed when you registered with the forum, comp.sys.laptops is thataway ->

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)