Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad; T61 and prior T series plus Other Legacy ThinkPads
All Forum Topics
Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 111 of 1612

Re: 3 beeps and good bye!...

2010-03-27, 23:34 PM

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-One-long-beep-two-short-beeps-and-dead/m-p/216958#M46264

have a read at Mark_lenovo's comments.

Your problem is covered under the free repair scheme for T61p, you should contact Lenovo service immediately. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

28 Posts

11-20-2009

California

103 Signins

685 Page Views

• Views: 685
  • Message 112 of 1612

Re: T61 One long beep, two short beeps...and dead

2010-03-28, 1:48 AM

did anyone receive treatment about nvidia gpu problem? 

Options

289 Posts

02-04-2009

Portugal

865 Signins

7574 Page Views

• Views: 7574
  • Message 113 of 1612

2010-03-28, 11:52 AM

Lead_org,

I think you may have misread my message. Or I may not have been much clear on my harangue...  :smileysad:

What I really meant to say was that I was lucky enough to had a three-year warranty extension in place and, as such, I had my motherboard replaced free.

Now, for some strange reason that escapes me, I did not become aware, initially, about all these situations as described in this thread. I guess that, after my original search on my problem, I might have started reading these posts and, not having seen any indication of a solution at the top of the thread, as it is customary when there is one, just went ahead and described my problem, just to add to the already reported cases. Or I may have started this as a new thread and then been later moved to be merged with an existing one. This is what I think, but I don't actually know why I did not become immediately aware of a solution, as proposed by Mark.

Now, what Mark has done is laudable and one has to appreciate the effort made by Lenovo to give satisfaction to a large number of customers with T61 machines bearing the same problem. This is commendable, period!

That said, isn't it also an indication (just one more indication) that Lenovo may be lowering the demanding standards of old, reliable Big Blue?

I DO NOT want to be negative. Not at all. Actually, I have a great respect for Mark and others who, in my opinion, are making a superb job. Unfortunately, he may find himself too often in the position of a fireman, which is an honorable function to do, of course, but it may also be an indication that more fires are raging than it would be reasonable to expect, especially when you come from a high level of product quality, as it clearly is the case here. 

And, to make my position very clear, I want to reiterate, once again, that I long for Lenovo's success. If for nothing else, for my own self interest  --  I like my Thinkpads. And I hate to say goodbye!

Cheers.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 114 of 1612

2010-03-28, 12:24 PM

Sorry i did not read your post clearly, probably skipped a few lines.

The problem is related to the Nvidia GPU, and not Lenovo's fault per se. Just google Nvidia GPU failure, this problem affected everyone that used the Nvidia GPU of that class.

Whether or not IBM would have done a better job in the same situation is debatable. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Options

289 Posts

02-04-2009

Portugal

865 Signins

7574 Page Views

• Message 115 of 1612

2010-03-28, 18:09 PM

wrote:

The problem is related to the Nvidia GPU, and not Lenovo's fault per se. Just google Nvidia GPU failure, this problem affected everyone that used the Nvidia GPU of that class.

Whether or not IBM would have done a better job in the same situation is debatable. 

Thank you for the detail on the source of the problem. I didn't know it.

As for IBM in the same or similar situation, it is debatable, indeed, I agree. In fact, we can reasonably say that, most likely, it wouldn't. But please understand, I'm not here to defend IBM. I made reference to IBM as a way of comparison, in a broad and general way. Even more, I made it plainly clear that I was not passing a judgment based on any scientific analysis, which I do not have, but rather, on my personal experience and observation, and on individual experiences and observations of others.

These are nothing more than isolated pieces of information. In fact, it is still perfectly admissible that Lenovo machines may be proven to be generally more reliable than IBM's used to be. If a serious study was conducted that came to prove it, I would be as happy as anyone else, for the reasons I already put out. I genuinely wish and pray that Lenovo manages to deliver the best machines in the market or, at least, as good as IBM's were generally considered to be.

This said, for as much as I regret to admit it, I can't help it but keep with my impression that Lenovo may have lowered a few standards. At least on the line of hardware. But, hey, the times are different and, in all truth, who can guarantee, if my impression is correct, that IBM would not have done the same? God only knows.

As for customer service, I am not in a position to make a statement about how much of the service is still coming from IBM structures that existed prior to their agreement or how much has been newly created or organized by Lenovo itself. I personally found, a couple of years ago, in two different occasions, that I was still talking to the "IBM customer service facility", providing the service for Lenovo (down South, in Atlanta, if I recall correctly). Also, in several foreign countries I have visited, IBM is still the entity that Lenovo has contracted with to provide in-  and out-of-warranty hardware maintenance, technical assistance, and customer service in general.

Be it as it may, I DO NOT find any noticeable difference in or outside the US about the quality of Customer Service provided by (or on behalf of) Lenovo, as compared to what I ever received from IBM proper. And this is a compliment.

Cheers.

Options

28 Posts

11-20-2009

California

103 Signins

685 Page Views

• Views: 685
  • Message 116 of 1612

2010-03-28, 20:31 PM

i have a question, does disassembling my out of warrany t61 void any chances this nvidia gpu problem might get fixed? just saying cause i've replaced the fan 3 times through lenovo myself.

Options

289 Posts

02-04-2009

Portugal

865 Signins

7574 Page Views

• Message 117 of 1612

2010-03-28, 21:52 PM

wrote:

i have a question, does disassembling my out of warranty t61 void any chances this nvidia gpu problem might get fixed? just saying cause i've replaced the fan 3 times through lenovo myself.

First, check into this link for a list of parts you can or cannot replace yourself. Check the codes 1, 2 or N in the last column (CRU = Customer Replaceable Units) for the parts that may or may not be replaced by the user:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-68229

It seems the fan and thermal device are not intended to be replaced by the user. However, I wouldn't  take it as a rule engraved in stone... After all, I did that replacement myself in a T42, even though it was already out of warranty.

Given the special nature of this GPU issue, I would suggest you contact Lenovo (or send a PM to Mark). Chances are you may get lucky...

Cheers.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 118 of 1612

2010-03-28, 22:30 PM

IBM is contracted to provide warranty phone support, the depot and onsite repair is provided by third party companies like Flextronics, etc.

Whilst you keeping track of quality you should notice that the price of Thinkpads in USA have also dropped significantly. 

Most of the old IBM PC division facilities and many of its laptop design team still remains to work for Lenovo. Yamato Design House in Japan, is only a few dedicated computer design facilities maintained by computer companies today.

Most of the laptops from the competitors are ODM or JDM products, where they are designed, manufactured and maintained by third party companies. So contract companies like Quanta, Compal, Wistron and Foxconn, would do all the design and manufacturing from off the shelf parts and design that the company like say Acer chooses.

I think ODM and JDM nature is what makes most of the Netbooks look and feel so similar to each other.  

Regards,

Jin Li

Options

289 Posts

02-04-2009

Portugal

865 Signins

7574 Page Views

• Message 119 of 1612

2010-03-28, 23:05 PM

Lead_org,

Interesting stuff.

But depot and onsite repair (under warranty) is still being provided by IBM in at least a few countries of the World. I talk from experience. Which leads me to believe that Lenovo may have taken different approaches to different markets... Which makes sense.

One more thought:

Granted, in computers as in with other technology gadgets, prices tend to decrease, mainly thru gains in productivity and other reasons we are not going to discuss in this thread. But that alone is no excuse for and should not be achieved by lowering quality. Wouldn't you agree?

Cheers.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Message 120 of 1612

2010-03-28, 23:16 PM

i don't think IBM runs any repair facilities anymore, but i could be wrong on this. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms